Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

How to get my US born children British citizenship and passports

How to get my US born children British citizenship and passports

Old Jul 17th 2014, 8:13 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get my US born children British citizenship and passports

Originally Posted by Nanna of 3
So something about my BIL being born before 1983 is a good thing?? From a paperwork prospective?
Yes. Ordinarily you would only need his full birth certificate as evidence of his British citizenship. Post-1983 births would require his parents' documents as well.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 4:53 am
Just Joined

Nanna of 3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Since my BIL was born in the UK in 1967 to UK born parents... Does he still have to have his parents BC and Marriage Cert??? This is a little unclear and these are the documents that have stopped them from proceeding .

.. https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth/...s/same_country

I'm not sure this link will work but I'm confused..

Any advice would be appreciated ..
Old Jul 18th 2014, 6:41 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

The passport application form is very straightforward, just print it out along with the guidelines and you'll be done in no time.

The key to everything is (in this case) the dad's BC. This is the basis upon which the kids will get their British passports.

I was in the same situation and I don't recall having to send in any passports (though I do see mention of this in section B of the guidelines - I wonder whether they mean the kid's current passport if any or that of one of the parents?). I still think I attached a xerox copy of my passport just in case, along with the original BC.

P.S. If things haven't changed then you will need to send in your kids' UK passports when applying for a renewal passport in the future.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Nanna of 3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all you answers ... We are on it! Going to get dad's UK passport renewed and file for those UK birth Certs, we will worry about the boys passports later.