Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

How to get my mother from Ukraine to live here in UK? Help!

How to get my mother from Ukraine to live here in UK? Help!

Old Apr 14th 2014, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Len4ik is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile How to get my mother from Ukraine to live here in UK? Help!

Hi my dear friends!

Your help needed!

I am living in UK as a EEA family member since August 2013. I am married to eea member, we have baby 5 month old, which was born here. My husband has opened a Restaurant since November, but it does not bring big money yet.
We are living in B&B waiting to get the permanent accomodation.

My mother works and lives in Ukraine. And I am looking for the way to get here here for live on permanent base, together with us.

What can I do???

Guys, give me a hand, please!
Old Apr 14th 2014, 8:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get my mother from Ukraine to live here in UK? Help!

Originally Posted by Len4ik
Guys, give me a hand, please!
I'll start by moving this to the right place, as this is the Canada forum and I don't think you meant to post it here!

Good luck.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I can only think that an EEA permit might suffice.

However, the EEA member is your husband; making your mother his mother in law.

The rules allow immediate relatives of the EEA member to join family; however there is no mention of in-laws.

You can apply for an EEA family permit to accompany your family or partner to the UK (or join them after they’ve arrived) if:

the person you’ll be accompanying or joining is from the European Economic Area (EEA) but not the UK

you’re from outside the EEA. You can apply as either:

the wife, husband, civil or unmarried partner, child, grandchild, parent or grandparent of the person you’ll be joining in the UK

a dependent extended family member - eg unmarried partner, brother, sister or cousin

Since you are a non EEA citizen you cannot immediately sponsor your mother.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

You would need to be dependent on her, or her on you. The most obvious reason would be that both of you are working to get your business to make money and she should do the childcare.

Take a look at this - http://curia.europa.eu/juris/documents.jsf?num=C-457/12 - partcularly the case of "S" as described in paragraphs 13 & 14 and the conclusion in 43 & 44. It's very technically worded but effectively makes the clear argument that providing childcare in order that someone can exercise their treaty rights (i.e. run a restaurant in another EU country) is a clearly valid reason for obtaining an EEA family permit. Otherwise you would be detered from exercising those rights.
I'd suggest you may like to try putting this in front of a lawyer and getting them to help draft a cover letter for your application. Or you could try it your self first and if you fail have another go with a lawyer's help as the application fees are minimal but a lawyers fees are not.