How do I get citizenship by descent?

Old Aug 21st 2013, 2:44 am
Just Joined

just-me is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I get citizenship by descent?

Hi guys,

Ok I was born in New Zealand in 1990. I am only a NZ citizen and have never been to the UK. I am thinking about moving there in the future.

Ok my Mums side of the family has been in NZ for many years so we will ignore her.

My Dad how ever was born in London. Both of my grandparents on his side were also born in the UK. At the age of 3 my father and his parents came to live in NZ. - They were the first generation of that side to move out of the UK. I still have family living there from my dads side.

So I am pretty sure this makes me a UK citizen by descent. So I have been looking on the UK homeoffice website about citizenship. I can not find what I have to do now. Do I have to fill out a form to claim citizenship by descent? Or do I all ready have it and just apply for a passport?

The more I read the more confused I get..

If there are forms can any of you guys provide me a idea of where I might find them?

Thank you all for your help and assistance with this!

A future UK citizen (Hopefully!)

Edited to say: Also my parents were married when I was born

Last edited by just-me; Aug 21st 2013 at 2:48 am. Reason: Additional Information
Old Aug 21st 2013, 7:10 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I get citizenship by descent?

Sounds like you're already British by descent. Just need your full birth certificate, your father's full birth certificate, your parents' marriage certificate and a photocopy of your NZ passport and you are good to go.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passport...arents-married
Old Aug 21st 2013, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming it was the first marriage for each of your parents. Otherwise evidence of prior marriages and divorces (or deaths) that ended them is needed.

Be ready to state (but probably not have to prove (if it is in NZ)) the city and country in which your mother was born.
It is key that parents were married when you were born, I'm glad you spotted that, otherwise it gets vastly more complicated.
Even if your father was somehow not the natural father, as long as he was married to your mother.

So you are already a UK citizen, but applying for a passport gives you evidence you can produce later to easily prove it.

Last edited by holly_1948; Aug 21st 2013 at 1:25 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Jeremy78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I am currently filling out the UKM forms to apply for citizenship by descent. I reside in Canada. My mother and father were both born in the UK and emmigrated as children with my grandparents. I am confused now after reading this post. Am I right in assuming that since my father and mother were both british citizens and married at the time of my birth (living in Canada though) I can skip the UKM and apply for a passport directly?

Another question in regards to applications like the UKM, on the website they ask for original passports, I need mine for travel. I have read on here that people have sent copies. Can anyone confirm that this worked, and were they just certified copies from a solicitor?
Thanks
Old Aug 29th 2013, 11:49 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeremy78
Hi

I am currently filling out the UKM forms to apply for citizenship by descent. I reside in Canada. My mother and father were both born in the UK and emmigrated as children with my grandparents. I am confused now after reading this post. Am I right in assuming that since my father and mother were both british citizens and married at the time of my birth (living in Canada though) I can skip the UKM and apply for a passport directly?

Another question in regards to applications like the UKM, on the website they ask for original passports, I need mine for travel. I have read on here that people have sent copies. Can anyone confirm that this worked, and were they just certified copies from a solicitor?
Thanks
If both your parents were British-born and married at the time of your birth, then you are already British by descent, no need to apply for registration using Form UKM, just apply directly for a passport at Durham passport office.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passport...g/adult/canada

Just submit a colour photocopy of your Canadian passport and note that you need to retain the original for travel. No need to have it certified. The birth and marriage certificates will need to be full originals though e.g. containing the details of the parents.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 5:54 am
Just Joined

Jeremy78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, Thanks for the link.
Just made my process quicker and easier.

One last question, is this passport limited in any way ie: work or reside in the UK? I have been searching and havent come up with anything. I only ask because one of the agencies that advertise to help you obtain your passport state that posession of a british passport does always mean you can work or reside in the UK?
Old Aug 30th 2013, 6:42 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeremy78
Hey, Thanks for the link.
Just made my process quicker and easier.

One last question, is this passport limited in any way ie: work or reside in the UK? I have been searching and havent come up with anything. I only ask because one of the agencies that advertise to help you obtain your passport state that posession of a british passport does always mean you can work or reside in the UK?
As a British Citizen, you can just move over, live and work here no need for visa for you

Last edited by mikelincs; Aug 30th 2013 at 7:23 am.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

UK Passport can also be held by a British Subject, not the same as a British Citizen. Be careful in the murky waters of Citizenship and Nationality !
Old Aug 31st 2013, 12:25 pm
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
UK Passport can also be held by a British Subject, not the same as a British Citizen. Be careful in the murky waters of Citizenship and Nationality !
He won't though,

Who the hell would apply for 'British Subject' ?
Old Aug 31st 2013, 11:59 pm

There's six flavours of British passport: British Citizen, British Subject, British Overseas Citizen, British National (Overseas), British Overseas Territories Citizen and British Protected Person. Only the first gives you Right of Abode in the UK.
This is the one you are eligible for and give you the same rights as any other British-born British Citizen with the only exception being that as a British Citizen by descent you cannot automatically pass on your British citizenship to any of your children who are born outside of the UK.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 12:56 am
DAJ
Just Joined

DAJ is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=BritInParis;10879754]There's six flavours of British passport: British Citizen, British Subject, British Overseas Citizen, British National (Overseas), British Overseas Territories Citizen and British Protected Person. Only the first gives you Right of Abode in the UK.

I was born in Northern Rhodesia ( a british protectorate) resulting in a British overseas status as listed above.
I was naturalized in Southern Rhodesia as a child. Due to the situation in Zimbabwe I no longer can hold citizenship. yes the real world sucks!!
(This act above was called the biggest travesty of injustice and discrimination, ever in the comonwealth, most Brits are not aware that there are different grades of citizenship.)
I would like to apply for full citizenship due to the fact my maternal grandmother was born in England as were her entire family dating back to the 15th century.
So as far as I understand it, I am eligable only for an ancestors visa, due to my grandmother? My father was South African born of French and English ancestry.
How can I go about this?
Old Sep 1st 2013, 4:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DAJ
I was born in Northern Rhodesia ( a british protectorate) resulting in a British overseas status as listed above.
I was naturalized in Southern Rhodesia as a child. Due to the situation in Zimbabwe I no longer can hold citizenship. yes the real world sucks!!
(This act above was called the biggest travesty of injustice and discrimination, ever in the comonwealth, most Brits are not aware that there are different grades of citizenship.)
I would like to apply for full citizenship due to the fact my maternal grandmother was born in England as were her entire family dating back to the 15th century.
So as far as I understand it, I am eligable only for an ancestors visa, due to my grandmother? My father was South African born of French and English ancestry.
How can I go about this?
If you were a Citizen of the U.K. & Colonies immediately before 1983, and have a U.K. born grandparent, then you should normally be a British citizen already.

When were you born in Northern Rhodesia, and when were you naturalised in Southern Rhodesia? Note that for a period of time (1958-63, from memory), Northern Rhodesia was part of the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland and this impacted the relevant British nationality laws.

Last edited by JAJ; Sep 1st 2013 at 4:27 am.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 7:40 am
DAJ
Just Joined

DAJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: How do I get citizenship by descent?

well born in 58 in N.Rhodesia (Zambia) and naturalised in 62 in S. Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) . my mother carried a british passport until UDI. I have the cancelled passport.