Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

How to apply for BC for a BNO holder who lived in the UK for 5 years?

How to apply for BC for a BNO holder who lived in the UK for 5 years?

Old Jul 20th 2017, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to apply for BC for a BNO holder who lived in the UK for 5 years?

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I'm afraid that's unlikely to be the case. If Suede212 has been in the UK for the last six and a half years then he or she is unlikely to have held a Tier 2 ICT visa before 6 April 2010 which is a requirement to apply for ILR.
Sorry - it is my mistake. Did not read the whole text from gov.uk. Thanks for correcting my mistake BiP.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to apply for BC for a BNO holder who lived in the UK for 5 years?

Originally Posted by Suede212
Hi

Britinparis, u r right. I got my tier 2 ict on Feb 2011, which mean I can't get ilr after 5 yr, but I m allow to transfer to tier 2 through getting a job from another company, and I need to do 10 years to get ilr.

So having a BNO doesn't give me any advantage then

Reason I m desperate is I am really quite keen to change scene, either Job or go back to school. But would like to gather all info before I jump the ship. Out of all option if there is a miracle way to shorten my 3.5 yr wait + 1 yr after my ilr got approved, that would be awesome

Thanks everyone.
If you are in the UK for 6.5 years, then you can try and get ILR after 10 years' residence in the UK based on long residence. You have done two thirds of the ten years by now, it would be a shame not to go on.

https://www.gov.uk/long-residence/overview

As I said before, the advantages of using your BN(O) passport over your HKSAR passport for long term UK visas are as follows -

1) Able to register to vote in all UK election as a Commonwealth citizen. This will help you build up your own credit history in the UK. HKSAR passport holders are not entitle to vote in any UK elections.

2) As a BN(O) passport holder with a long term UK visa, you will not need to register with the local police while HKSAR passport holders, as Chinese nationals, are required to register with the local police in the UK.

3) BN(O) passport holders can apply for some UK civil service jobs after having ILR as Commonwealth citizens, while HKSAR passport holders cannot do so until they become British Citizens.

4) BN(O) passport holders can register to become a British Citizen using form B(OTA), which is a cheaper process than naturalisation using form AN.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Suede212 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot for everyone's contribution.

Being someone in this category, I feel it is bit unfair to change policy for visa being granted before the day the policy became effective on Apr 2011. Out of curiosity anyone has "appeal" for this scenario at all?

Another couple questions if everyone don't mind
- if I decide to go back to study master, my master degree will be counted for part of the 10 years right?
- or if I decide to become spouse or domestic partner with someone, will i be eligible for spouse visa immediately?
- how about tier 1 visa? If I have a saving that hit the minimum requirement. Can I change to tier 1?

Thanks again
Old Jul 24th 2017, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Suede212
Thanks a lot for everyone's contribution.

Being someone in this category, I feel it is bit unfair to change policy for visa being granted before the day the policy became effective on Apr 2011. Out of curiosity anyone has "appeal" for this scenario at all?

Another couple questions if everyone don't mind
- if I decide to go back to study master, my master degree will be counted for part of the 10 years right?
- or if I decide to become spouse or domestic partner with someone, will i be eligible for spouse visa immediately?
- how about tier 1 visa? If I have a saving that hit the minimum requirement. Can I change to tier 1?

Thanks again
I can try and answer your first question - your time spent on your master degree course will count towards the ten year requirement for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK based on long residence.

https://www.gov.uk/long-residence