British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Home Office asking for spouse information in Romein application (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/home-office-asking-spouse-information-romein-application-945569/)

ArizonaTrail Sep 22nd 2022 4:24 pm

Home Office asking for spouse information in Romein application

Hi all,

I submitted a UKM application in August via the Romein route. Today I received an email from the Home Office wanting to know my spouse's name, date of birth and nationality. My spouse is not material to a Romein application, so I'm wondering why they are asking for this. Any ideas?

Additionally, I actually included the requested spousal information in my original application materials. My spouse, my three children and my sister are all UK/US citizens. Whomever has been assigned to my case seems not to know that a) my spouse is irrelevant to my application and b) they already have the requested information.

BritInParis Sep 22nd 2022 5:09 pm

Re: Home Office asking for spouse information in Romein application

It may well be a mistake. Nothing to do but provide what is being requested.

ArizonaTrail Sep 22nd 2022 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 13142940)
It may well be a mistake. Nothing to do but provide what is being requested.

Yep.

I hope the caseworker is up to the task, as a Romein application isn't the simplest route to citizenship. But at least they seem to be reviewing it very promptly. I was told six months and it's been only a month.

BritInParis Sep 22nd 2022 6:05 pm

I believe you were enclosing a covering letter laying out your claim. Hopefully your nationality officer will have read it.

ArizonaTrail Sep 22nd 2022 6:24 pm

I was thinking of providing the spouse information, then mentioning that I am attaching my cover letter describing my Romein claim through my mother and maternal grandfather. I don't want to appear to be telling them how to do their job, but I also don't want to have to be lodging an appeal if they misinterpret my application.

Thanks, BiP, as always, for your thoughts.

BritInParis Sep 22nd 2022 9:39 pm

No harm in reiterating your claim particularly if they appear to be requesting irrelevant information. Worst case scenario you’ll bruise someone’s ego for five minutes. Better than spending months going through an appeals process for a wrongly refused application.

ArizonaTrail Sep 23rd 2022 11:32 am

Good point. I've sent it off with the required information and another copy of the cover letter. Hoping the nationality gods are smiling on my application.