Home after 11 years.

Old Nov 9th 2012, 3:20 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home after 11 years.

Originally Posted by chris955
That is exactly what I have always said, it is often said that Brits arent patriotic but it seems clear that as you say they dont feel the need to be constantly telling everyone including themselves how awesome the UK is. That does not mean they arent proud of their country, they just dont care if others dont think so. It is the insecurity we see in Australia that is so grating.
:thumb up:
Old Nov 9th 2012, 3:21 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 9th 2012, 4:04 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NEMISSIS
Yes, I think think insecure is a good way to describe Australians with their "constant" over the top patriotism.
I just dont get the need to be constantly slapping yourself on the back and telling other Aussies how great you are. I love Australia for many reasons, the problem is I hate for just as many or more.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 4:58 pm
Yo

I just dont get the need to be constantly slapping yourself on the back and telling other Aussies how great you are. I love Australia for many reasons, the problem is I hate for just as many or more.
How about when you were in Oz previously (for 25 years) were you in the self back slapping brigade? I think it does happen in other places too. The USA in particular and some parts of Canada. I think short histories (a few hundred years as opposed to a few thousand) have something to do with it too.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 5:54 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
How about when you were in Oz previously (for 25 years) were you in the self back slapping brigade? I think it does happen in other places too. The USA in particular and some parts of Canada. I think short histories (a few hundred years as opposed to a few thousand) have something to do with it too.
I love America......it would be even better though if there weren't so many Americans here.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I love America......it would be even better though if there weren't so many Americans here.
Well the self congratulating back slapping types anyway - I always cringe when I hear that what apparently has become commonplace chant: USA USA USa usa....... awful whoever thought that one up.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 11:21 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, yes very much the right decision for us, we are absolutely loving it. We all took the dog out for walk through the village and even our kids who are born and bred in sub tropical Brisbane still dont complain about the cold, it was about 9 degrees when we went out. They are very disappointed that we arent getting the snow our friends in the SW are getting
I have found the UK has predictably changed just like everywhere else, nothing has changed noticeably for the worse. We are in a very rural setting and to be honest we dont notice the population of the country overall anymore than we did where we used to live.
No reverse culture shock at all, it takes a little time to get used to a few things but nothing major.
I have to be careful not to be too positive as some arent in the same position as us which is weird as we are all different. Cant really say too much negative as almost all our experiences have been positive.
Good luck with your move, all I can say is FOR US it is proving to be a wonderful move.
Chris, glad you are happy back in UK. We are still working on a trip back (of, as yet, uncertain duration) in 2014 and just wondering what you have noticed that has changed... and what are the things you have had to get used to since moving back?
Old Nov 10th 2012, 5:31 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
No, never was really. I was just someone who lived in Australia and was happy doing so at that stage. The ridiculously over the top self congratulation has always been a little embarrassing to me. Be patriotic, be proud but just be aware that others around the world may not agree.
It does come down to immaturity I feel.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 6:28 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Well the self congratulating back slapping types anyway - I always cringe when I hear that what apparently has become commonplace chant: USA USA USa usa....... awful whoever thought that one up.
I'll be retiring to the UK in a few years....but I'm a bit worried at the "Daily Mail" attitudes towards immigrants that seem to be gaining ground and the witch hunt atmosphere that the "politically correct" promote that IMHO impinge on free speech....however distasteful that might be.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 7:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by nun
I'll be retiring to the UK in a few years....but I'm a bit worried at the "Daily Mail" attitudes towards immigrants that seem to be gaining ground and the witch hunt atmosphere that the "politically correct" promote that IMHO impinge on free speech....however distasteful that might be.
Gaining ground where ? I cant say I know any sane person that believes anything in the Daily Mail and I cant say I notice a witch hunt atmosphere ?
Old Nov 10th 2012, 7:34 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by brissybee
Chris, glad you are happy back in UK. We are still working on a trip back (of, as yet, uncertain duration) in 2014 and just wondering what you have noticed that has changed... and what are the things you have had to get used to since moving back?
Thanks, we are loving it, not perfect but near enough for us
We haven't seen anything change for the worse to be fair, just the usual changes that happen over the years and not restricted to the UK. The stuff we have had to adjust to is just the normal mundane stuff, even things like the different money, getting used to the different notes and coins, miles instead of kilometres, different shops, smaller roads, Cod in chip shops instead of who-knows-what fish Silly things but nothing big for us.
Good luck, you'll love it
Old Nov 10th 2012, 7:43 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by nun
Agree with Chris.

I've stopped reading the DM (rarely bought it per-Internet but started reading it more online). It so steeped in sensationalism designed to make one's blood boil that it simply is not worth the aggro. There has been a tremendous amount of immigration, and there are now some serious ethnic "neighbourhoods" but if you seek traditional England most of it is still there. For better or worse!
Old Nov 11th 2012, 7:57 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Nun, when you write things like that, I wonder what country you're talking about and I live here!

There are racists here as there are anywhere - but not as many as where I came from (America), and for the most part people are great.

I do agree with you about free speech - shocks me how easily people can be arrested here just for saying something distasteful - but unless you plan to say similar things (and based on your posts I know you don't) I don't see why that would stop you moving here.

I say move here and then become part of the positive change that you seek.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 12:01 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Nun, when you write things like that, I wonder what country you're talking about and I live here!

There are racists here as there are anywhere - but not as many as where I came from (America), and for the most part people are great.

I do agree with you about free speech - shocks me how easily people can be arrested here just for saying something distasteful - but unless you plan to say similar things (and based on your posts I know you don't) I don't see why that would stop you moving here.

I say move here and then become part of the positive change that you seek.
I completely agree, it doesn't sound like the country we live in. If you don't plan on making openly racist inflammatory statements I cant see how a fear of a lack of free speak is an issue.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 1:25 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

I completely agree, it doesn't sound like the country we live in. If you don't plan on making openly racist inflammatory statements I cant see how a fear of a lack of free speak is an issue.
I've been in the US so long that I take a very liberal attitude towards speech. So unless you are encouraging people to commit crimes or shouting fire in a theatre when there is no fire I feel that all speech should be allowed. As an example IMHO John Terry should never have been charged with anything. His case came out right in the end...no crime, but the FA and his club punished him. But that the police were even involved worries me. This is an area where I've become far more American than European.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.