Home after 11 years.

Old Nov 4th 2012, 11:38 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home after 11 years.

Originally Posted by chris955
I thought it was time to let you all know how things are going with us after our move to England.
Firstly Australia is a beautiful place and can offer many a great life, the same of course applies to this country. I have been told I obviously hate Australia and amazing that I must have been 'very unhappy' there LOL.
We arrived back around 1 month ago and almost immediately felt at home. We havent seen the piles of dog poo and rubbish we were warned we would see. People seem to be happy, helpful and cheerful in complete contrast to the miserable depressed people we were again told we would encounter everywhere.
This country has many problems as does the country we left behind and I am not blind to them in either place.
We have found most thinghs to be at least comparable price wise with most food being cheaper/much cheaper.
Originally we had planned on living in the Somerset area until we discovered Herefordshire totally by chance, we wanted a quiet, village life and that life is still easy to achieve.
Our 2 10 year old boys love being here and from speaking to them the only thing they miss are their friends. We asked them what they miss and they reeled off their friends names, when pushed they said there wasnt anything else they missed. To be fair they arent sporty kids and like their friends spend most of the their time indoors.
We have seen an incredible amount of wildlife since being here, as we are all animal lovers that has been fantastic.
Overall it has been a very good move FOR US, that doesnt mean that living in Australia is bad for everyone or indeed living in the UK is good for everyone.
We have so far only had 2 people ask why the hell we have come back. LOL.
Congrats on being back home. It sounds like it was the right decision for you and your family.

I've been gone for almost as long as you have, so I would like to know specifically how the UK may have changed or not. I lived in Hertfordshire when I was a nipper (near Harpenden), so I have fond memories of the place. Did you experience any reverse culture shock?

Anyway glad you made it home. I can't say that I'd particularly want to try living in Australia. I'm an "old world" kind of guy.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

NEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really nice

Ive been back in the UK for 3 years now after nine years in Australia.

I like the fact that (if you like walking) you are never far from a good country walk or footpath or canal in Britain, found that hard to do in Oz....unless you live close to the beach maybe but even then you are restricted.

I like old England, found that many people over-rate Australia...it's good but not as good as they sell the place.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
Congrats on being back home. It sounds like it was the right decision for you and your family.

I've been gone for almost as long as you have, so I would like to know specifically how the UK may have changed or not. I lived in Hertfordshire when I was a nipper (near Harpenden), so I have fond memories of the place. Did you experience any reverse culture shock?

Anyway glad you made it home. I can't say that I'd particularly want to try living in Australia. I'm an "old world" kind of guy.
For Hertfordshire, read Herefordshire, I think.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 12:30 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NEMISSIS
Ive been back in the UK for 3 years now after nine years in Australia.

I like the fact that (if you like walking) you are never far from a good country walk or footpath or canal in Britain, found that hard to do in Oz....unless you live close to the beach maybe but even then you are restricted.

I like old England, found that many people over-rate Australia...it's good but not as good as they sell the place.
I love walking, always did. I used to take full advantage of the extremely accessible English countryside. England may be crowded in terms of total population, but I always found it easy to find solace and to find myself in another world. I find that hard in the US too. Even when I lived in New England, which is insanely beautiful, it wasn't as walkable as the UK and you still generally had to drive to national / state parks and follow man made trails.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 12:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
For Hertfordshire, read Herefordshire, I think.
You're right. Not easy reading this on a smartphone!
Old Nov 4th 2012, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

You're right. Not easy reading this on a smartphone!
Old Nov 4th 2012, 12:45 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, yes very much the right decision for us, we are absolutely loving it. We all took the dog out for walk through the village and even our kids who are born and bred in sub tropical Brisbane still dont complain about the cold, it was about 9 degrees when we went out. They are very disappointed that we arent getting the snow our friends in the SW are getting
I have found the UK has predictably changed just like everywhere else, nothing has changed noticeably for the worse. We are in a very rural setting and to be honest we dont notice the population of the country overall anymore than we did where we used to live.
No reverse culture shock at all, it takes a little time to get used to a few things but nothing major.
I have to be careful not to be too positive as some arent in the same position as us which is weird as we are all different. Cant really say too much negative as almost all our experiences have been positive.
Good luck with your move, all I can say is FOR US it is proving to be a wonderful move.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to read your post from the beginning Chris, I never read it before! Your village sounds like Utopia!
Old Nov 4th 2012, 6:08 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Nice to read your post from the beginning Chris, I never read it before! Your village sounds like Utopia!
Well to be honest for US yes I think it is. Thanks.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 9:47 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

You have to ignore the silly comments, it is just a knee jerk reaction for Brits to assume anywhere else is better than here even if they have never stepped foot out of the country.
I love Australia, I grew up there but it doesnt offer us what we want and hate the over the top parochial attitude.
Chris, what did you mean by the "over the top parochial attitude" - don't worry no connexion to Oz - but just curious as the Aussies seem like a happy go lucky bunch from the outside. Is it the anti-Pom thing?
Old Nov 8th 2012, 7:12 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Shard
Chris, what did you mean by the "over the top parochial attitude" - don't worry no connexion to Oz - but just curious as the Aussies seem like a happy go lucky bunch from the outside. Is it the anti-Pom thing?
Bearing in mind I grew up in Australia and have been an Aussie citizen for close to 25 years so Im not some disgruntled 'failed' migrant The Aussie is best attitude is OK up to a point but when all you hear day in day out is 'world best, 'world class', 'best in the world' etc etc it just gets a little tiring and is actually counter productive as you sort of start to tune out to it. The ideal situation would be a country that was half way between Australia and the UK, have pride but dont force it down peoples throats constantly. Im not so sure about happy go lucky, there are generally as stressed out by everyday things as anyone really.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

WestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to all

Bearing in mind I grew up in Australia and have been an Aussie citizen for close to 25 years so Im not some disgruntled 'failed' migrant The Aussie is best attitude is OK up to a point but when all you hear day in day out is 'world best, 'world class', 'best in the world' etc etc it just gets a little tiring and is actually counter productive as you sort of start to tune out to it. The ideal situation would be a country that was half way between Australia and the UK, have pride but dont force it down peoples throats constantly. Im not so sure about happy go lucky, there are generally as stressed out by everyday things as anyone really.
I concur. Australia is not in the main populated by the laid back. Southern Europe, the Carribean now they're laidback...
Old Nov 8th 2012, 7:38 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Chris, interesting observation.

I think it is one of the good things about Britain that (apart from the chronic whingers) there are contented Brits who very proud of the country but do not feel the need to shout it from the rooftops. Indeed, there's almost a national self-deprecation that goes on, and that's a kind of maturity.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 8:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Shard
Thanks Chris, interesting observation.

I think it is one of the good things about Britain that (apart from the chronic whingers) there are contented Brits who very proud of the country but do not feel the need to shout it from the rooftops. Indeed, there's almost a national self-deprecation that goes on, and that's a kind of maturity.
That is exactly what I have always said, it is often said that Brits arent patriotic but it seems clear that as you say they dont feel the need to be constantly telling everyone including themselves how awesome the UK is. That does not mean they arent proud of their country, they just dont care if others dont think so. It is the insecurity we see in Australia that is so grating.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

NEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really nice

Yes, I think think insecure is a good way to describe Australians with their "constant" over the top patriotism.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.