Home after 11 years.

Old May 31st 2012, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

NEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really niceNEMISSIS is just really nice
Default Re: Home after 11 years.

Originally Posted by chris955
I think the Pembridge reference was directed at me as that is where we are living.
Sorry, I must have been half asleep when I read it...

Cheers from Derbyshire.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 6:59 am
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Chris Hi

How are you, sounds like you are settling well.Keep up the posts.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 9:19 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, honestly been to busy to get on here
Full story for us, we fully intended settling in Somerset or Wiltshire but found ourselves putting in an offer on a 400 year old house in Herefordshire which was accepted. 4 weeks and 1 day from the day we landed we moved in, dont let anyone tell you buying a house here takes forever
We are absolutely loving rural life as are our kids. They went from a school with 900 students to one with 100, even the secondary school they start in September only has 450. The village was granted market town status in 1239
So far apart from friends and family I am missing nothing about Australia, my wife says it would be nice to be able to dry the washing more reliably outside but thats it for her. The kids miss their friends but have made some good new ones already. When asked what they miss they say their friends, nothing else.
We are finding most things as cheap or cheaper than Australia, food generally is very cheap and the variety is just mind boggling compared to what we are used to.
Contrary to what I have read insurance is no more expensive here and because we have a hybrid car we are paying no more to run a good sized family car compared to the small car we had in Australia.
Some of the ridiculous things we have read on this forum and elsewhere that are definitely untrue.
'Everyone is miserable and worrying about their jobs'. Certainly not what we have found and we are constantly commenting on how everyone is so friendly and helpful.
'There is rubbish everywhere'. I'm not sure where these people are/were but we dont see any rubbish.
'The paths are covered in dog poo'. I actually read that, again Im not sure where these people are living ?
'Meat in supermarkets have security tags'. This is by far my favourite
'People dont look you in the eye and dont speak if passed in the street'
I'm not sure if people honestly believe these things or they say it to make themselves feel better ?
We dont have one single regret.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

Again thanks for the update.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 3:29 pm
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

It's great to hear you have settled so well. We'll be back in August after 13 years away and can't wait, but it would be nice if the rain stopped for a while by the time we arrive!
Old Jul 4th 2012, 9:35 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, honestly been to busy to get on here
Full story for us, we fully intended settling in Somerset or Wiltshire but found ourselves putting in an offer on a 400 year old house in Herefordshire which was accepted. 4 weeks and 1 day from the day we landed we moved in, dont let anyone tell you buying a house here takes forever
We are absolutely loving rural life as are our kids. They went from a school with 900 students to one with 100, even the secondary school they start in September only has 450. The village was granted market town status in 1239
So far apart from friends and family I am missing nothing about Australia, my wife says it would be nice to be able to dry the washing more reliably outside but thats it for her. The kids miss their friends but have made some good new ones already. When asked what they miss they say their friends, nothing else.
We are finding most things as cheap or cheaper than Australia, food generally is very cheap and the variety is just mind boggling compared to what we are used to.
Contrary to what I have read insurance is no more expensive here and because we have a hybrid car we are paying no more to run a good sized family car compared to the small car we had in Australia.
Some of the ridiculous things we have read on this forum and elsewhere that are definitely untrue.
'Everyone is miserable and worrying about their jobs'. Certainly not what we have found and we are constantly commenting on how everyone is so friendly and helpful.
'There is rubbish everywhere'. I'm not sure where these people are/were but we dont see any rubbish.
'The paths are covered in dog poo'. I actually read that, again Im not sure where these people are living ?
'People dont look you in the eye and dont speak if passed in the street'
I'm not sure if people honestly believe these things or they say it to make themselves feel better ?
We dont have one single regret.
Glad you are enjoying life back in the UK.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 9:37 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pombat
It's great to hear you have settled so well. We'll be back in August after 13 years away and can't wait, but it would be nice if the rain stopped for a while by the time we arrive!
It has been confirmed that the sun bought a ticket on sale and is sailing from the east coast of North America, aboard the QM2 on 3 Aug.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:53 pm
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lf1
It has been confirmed that the sun bought a ticket on sale and is sailing from the east coast of North America, aboard the QM2 on 3 Aug.
I do hope so!!
Old Jul 5th 2012, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
lol lets hope it's not a round the world trip (for the Sun)......ps have a great journey what an experience QM2
Old Jul 5th 2012, 12:15 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by brits1
lol lets hope it's not a round the world trip (for the Sun)......ps have a great journey what an experience QM2
LOL!! I have checked the sun's itinerary and it is scheduled to arrive in Southampton on Friday, 10'Aug. It will be weaving its way through England, for a period, before finally taking up permanent residence in the Scottish Borders.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 12:38 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid the sun has been delayed and will now return to England next August!
Old Jul 5th 2012, 9:11 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

What is it with the meat paranoia? I heard a piece on that Jeremy Vine radio show and he was asking people to call in about a new craze for stealing meat from supermarkets. My husband and I still laugh about that every time we hear his 'oh so serious' voice on the radio.

The rain does stop every day - it just starts again half an hour later
Old Jul 9th 2012, 3:55 am
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

The rain does stop every day - it just starts again half an hour later
This from the Daily Wail

Britain’s washout summer could cause a rickets epidemic in children, doctors have warned.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz205tHpll9
Old Jul 9th 2012, 11:48 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ballys
This from the Daily Wail

Britain’s washout summer could cause a rickets epidemic in children, doctors have warned.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz205tHpll9
This is all true. There are already increased cases of rickets in the young and old and contributing factors in the UK are people not getting out as much as they used to and the use of cover ups and sunscreens. Doctors are beginning to admit that they went overboard on that.

Simple things like walking to school would help the kids, but fewer do that. Older people should walk as much as they can for general health and to get sun exposure, even on dull days. Oh, and a diet high in fatty fish helps, which is why the Scandinavians don't have as much of a problem. The Innuit in Canada don't have rickets on their traditional diet of fish, blubber and such, but they do if they go on the usual Canadian diet.

It's not just the UK -- it's anywhere this far from the equator. We need a lot of sun exposure to get enough vitamin D up here. If we don't get it we should take supplements, but the UK doctors seem particularly reluctant to recommend supplements of any sort.

In addition to bone problems, MS, and some cancers, lack of vitamin D makes people more likely to be depressed. Perhaps some of the British who are down in the mouth lies with their lack of vitamin D as much as the Daily Wailing. It could also explain the Scottish overdrinking. The further north the worse it gets, so they're self-medicating their depression.

Bev
Old Jul 9th 2012, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

hearthandhome has a brilliant futurehearthandhome has a brilliant futurehearthandhome has a brilliant futurehearthandhome has a brilliant futurehearthandhome has a brilliant futurehearthandhome has a brilliant futurehearthandhome has a brilliant future

My father had seasonal affective disorder and being in south Somerset was still too far north. A big plate of kippers eaten most days under a broad spectrum light bulb helped a lot. I plan on buying those bulbs in bulk when we move. In my experience we all self medicated through the dark drippy bit (so september through july) and then drank copiously through the sunny bit with a hosepipe ban in order to celebrate and stay hydrated (so two weeks in August)
I'm very glad to here that Wales and hereford are still the places I want them to be. My mother is a Rhys-Jones and I must admit that it is more likey we will end up in Wales than my own home county. My mother says our town has changed because of massive development but it looks like Powys is still Powys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.