Hi, I'm Speedwell...

Old Aug 29th 2013, 8:46 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hi, I'm Speedwell...

Hi, folks.

I'm Speedwell. I'm a Yank. No, keep reading, please.

I'm in love with a little corner of the world called Aberdeen, and have been since I was small, and I finally got to go there and find out what being home finally felt like. I don't know why this is so. Sometimes it just happens that way.

I'm also in love with my husband, a wonderful Ulsterman who also loves Aberdeen, so much that we spent the first three months of our lives together there and were married by the registrar and walked down Union Street to have a lunch together and caught the bus back to our flat because while we were there, a honeymoon seemed like a needless thing.

We decided we'd go back there "someday". I work in the oil and gas industry. I was promised a transfer to our office there but it didn't work out and now it isn't in the cards anymore. My one-year work visa expired in July and I couldn't persuade them to renew it.

My husband now has his green card, and it's a huge victory for us because we are finally together, and we're very grateful to everyone who helped us (we couldn't have done it without you), but we never really intended to live here in the US. He won't be able to bring me back home because of the law they passed last year about needing income for non-EEU spouses. It was a blow to us because we intended to settle in the UK, and then suddenly we couldn't because he didn't make enough. Nor would it be a good idea to take advantage of his Irish citizenship to settle in Donegal near his family in Tyrone, because if we did that today, we'd have no jobs and there really isn't much work there. And... well, OK, it's not Aberdeen. I know. I know. I don't completely understand it either, but that's important.

I'm going to read the forum a lot now. Maybe I'll find some encouragement there. I hope someone else has been the Yank trying to bring the Brit back home. A wise friend tells me that you have to put out the call to get the answer you're seeking. It's hard for me to articulate what I want. But this is what I want. Wish us well.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice
Default Re: Hi, I'm Speedwell...

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Hi, folks.

I'm Speedwell. I'm a Yank. No, keep reading, please.

I'm in love with a little corner of the world called Aberdeen, and have been since I was small, and I finally got to go there and find out what being home finally felt like. I don't know why this is so. Sometimes it just happens that way.

I'm also in love with my husband, a wonderful Ulsterman who also loves Aberdeen, so much that we spent the first three months of our lives together there and were married by the registrar and walked down Union Street to have a lunch together and caught the bus back to our flat because while we were there, a honeymoon seemed like a needless thing.

We decided we'd go back there "someday". I work in the oil and gas industry. I was promised a transfer to our office there but it didn't work out and now it isn't in the cards anymore. My one-year work visa expired in July and I couldn't persuade them to renew it.

My husband now has his green card, and it's a huge victory for us because we are finally together, and we're very grateful to everyone who helped us (we couldn't have done it without you), but we never really intended to live here in the US. He won't be able to bring me back home because of the law they passed last year about needing income for non-EEU spouses. It was a blow to us because we intended to settle in the UK, and then suddenly we couldn't because he didn't make enough. Nor would it be a good idea to take advantage of his Irish citizenship to settle in Donegal near his family in Tyrone, because if we did that today, we'd have no jobs and there really isn't much work there. And... well, OK, it's not Aberdeen. I know. I know. I don't completely understand it either, but that's important.

I'm going to read the forum a lot now. Maybe I'll find some encouragement there. I hope someone else has been the Yank trying to bring the Brit back home. A wise friend tells me that you have to put out the call to get the answer you're seeking. It's hard for me to articulate what I want. But this is what I want. Wish us well.
I wish you well
Old Aug 29th 2013, 10:45 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck. Are there any jobs in Oil and Gas in Aberdeen that would be suitable ?

Hope you get to live in the, 'Granite City' one day soon. I think that's what Aberdeen is known as because a lot of the buildings are made of granite or are that colour.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

I'm unsure, but I think the Surinder Singh route may help you.

Best wishes.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I understand it, you can take advantage of his Irish citizenship to move/live anywhere in the EU. It doesn't have to be Ireland, he can go to where there are jobs he could do. Then after you are there for a certain period of time (think the rule of thumb is 6mo?), he can then exercise his treaty rights to move to Aberdeen, and you then get an EU family permit or something like that. And then he doesn't have to meet the income guidelines. This route is called the Surinder Singh route. It's being talked about on the Spousal visa forum quite a bit.

Good luck!