Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Help with Spouse Visa - Spouse in Hong Kong, not a HKSAR passport holder

Help with Spouse Visa - Spouse in Hong Kong, not a HKSAR passport holder

Old Aug 24th 2016, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

whizkid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help with Spouse Visa - Spouse in Hong Kong, not a HKSAR passport holder

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Some talking at cross purposes I think.
I'm curious as to why your fiancée's father registered himself and her younger siblings as British citizens and not her? I'm also curious as to why your fiancée was entitled to a Pakistani passport when her siblings were not and her father was supposed to be stateless. Was your fiancée's mother born in Pakistan?
Fiancee was the first child, siblings were born few years later. By then the father was classified as British Citizen, hence their siblings got the British.

Fiancée's mother was born in Pakistan. The British consulate back then refused to accept any application for my fiancée's so they had no choice but to go for the Pakistani passport.

Also, if my Fiancee does classify as a british citizen, which form XX should be complete?

Last edited by whizkid; Aug 24th 2016 at 10:32 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 11:40 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with Spouse Visa - Spouse in Hong Kong, not a HKSAR passport holder

Originally Posted by whizkid
Fiancee was the first child, siblings were born few years later. By then the father was classified as British Citizen, hence their siblings got the British.

Fiancée's mother was born in Pakistan. The British consulate back then refused to accept any application for my fiancée's so they had no choice but to go for the Pakistani passport.

Also, if my Fiancee does classify as a british citizen, which form XX should be complete?
Okay, so only your fiancée's father was stateless and by the time her younger siblings were born he was a British citizen otherwise than by descent so they got British citizenship regardless of also being entitled to Pakistani citizenship through their mother. As your fiancée was born before her father was registered as a British citizen and was born a Pakistani citizen she wasn't entitled to be registered with him.

That's a little clearer, thanks. I should have figured that before your last post. Too hot tonight to think!

Sounds your fiancée isn't entitled to British citizenship automatically by descent or by the same registration process as her father using Form EM and any option to register as a British citizen at the Home Secretary's discretion using Form UKM would have expired when she turned 18.

I'm afraid it looks like you'll have to go through the spouse visa process after all.