Help with Self-employment

Old Feb 24th 2021, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Yaruhmak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with Self-employment

Hello,

My spouse and I are hoping to apply for the initial stage of the spouse visa process (ie from outside of the UK). I would be sponsoring my partner using Self-employment as the finance method. I am aware of the documents I need to provide. I will have accounts for 2 full financial years, both registered on HMRC with the relevant taxes paid (meeting the threshold.) I am however worried that there may be a problem with my bank statements. I don't have a separate business account and therefore my personal spending is also included in the bank statements which makes it look like I am earning much less than I am declaring. So my accounts, hmrc declarations include only earnings / expenses from my business, but my bank account also includes personal spending. I am worried they will think I am giving false information.

Sorry for the long post. My question is basically how do they work out Self-employment earnings and will my application be refused if the bank statements don't add up?

I would appreciate any input on the subject. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 24th 2021, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with Self-employment

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigrat...ified-evidence

As per Appendix FM-SE (Section 7 above):

7. In respect of self-employment in the UK as a partner, as a sole trader or in a franchise all of the following must be provided:

(e) Where the person holds or held a separate business bank account(s), bank statements for the same 12-month period as the tax return(s).
(f) personal bank statements for the same 12-month period as the tax return(s) showing that the income from self-employment has been paid into an account in the name of the person or in the name of the person and their partner jointly

That word 'where' is somewhat confusing. It implies that you have to present a separate business bank account if you have one?
(f) certainly means that you need to present personal bank statements where you have paid self employed income into such an account.

They don't work out anything..... YOU have to present documents to show that you earned 18,600 GBP or above from your business. Do your statements show these amounts?
Do all your other documents show these income amounts?

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Feb 24th 2021 at 6:54 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2021, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

As per Appendix FM-SE (Section 7 above):

7. In respect of self-employment in the UK as a partner, as a sole trader or in a franchise all of the following must be provided:

(e) Where the person holds or held a separate business bank account(s), bank statements for the same 12-month period as the tax return(s).
(f) personal bank statements for the same 12-month period as the tax return(s) showing that the income from self-employment has been paid into an account in the name of the person or in the name of the person and their partner jointly

That word 'where' is somewhat confusing. It implies that you have to present a separate business bank account if you have one?
(f) certainly means that you need to present personal bank statements where you have paid self employed income into such an account.

They don't work out anything..... YOU have to present documents to show that you earned 18,600 GBP or above from your business. Do your statements show these amounts?
Do all your other documents show these income amounts?
Thank you for your help, I appreciate it. Yes, I don't have a separate business account unfortunately which I realise was a mistake, but it's too late now for this year. I think I worded "work out" wrongly. Yes, I have evidence of money going in / out in the form of my annual accounts and also with HMRC. I have evidence of earnings above the financial threshold etc. It is a bit more difficult with self-employment as obviously there are also expenses to take into account as well. Im just worried that with my bank account not being separate, the line between personal / business spending is blurred and they will think its inconsistent with other evidence.
Old Feb 25th 2021, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Myabe you have to start using separte accounts - one for pesonal matters and one for business

You might have a better chance with getting a visa !
Old Feb 25th 2021, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Myabe you have to start using separte accounts - one for pesonal matters and one for business

You might have a better chance with getting a visa !
Good advice.... a new business account won't be relevant to your tax documents for the past financial year but, all according to when you are intending to apply, will show a clearer picture of income/expenses etc.
Old Feb 25th 2021, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Good advice.... a new business account won't be relevant to your tax documents for the past financial year but, all according to when you are intending to apply, will show a clearer picture of income/expenses etc.
Thank you for the advice. Yes, I will open a separate account for the next financial year but it won't make any difference for this year as that is the accounts we are going to be using. I think we just have to apply and take the risk eventhough refusal seems likely, otherwise we'll have to wait another year. 😓 After almost 4 years apart, we are really desperate for this visa.