Help with returning to UK with fiance

Old Apr 20th 2016, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

ccarl076 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Help with returning to UK with fiance

Hi,

I have what I thought was a straightforward case but as I dig around I see how complicated it is.

I am a British National currently applying for my first adult passport. I have never lived in the UK and am thinking of moving back with my fiance.

She has a South African passport and has a valid visitor visa as her sisters live there and we had hoped to go visit them and then stay. However, I just read that you cannot have a visitor visa. So I was wondering if she has to apply from out of the country and then join me or whether she can switch from a family visitor (sisters) to a different visa?

Also it says that I have to be settled but I have never lived in the United Kingdom so technically I am not settled.

I was wondering if you could give me some advice.

Thank you
Old Apr 20th 2016, 11:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with returning to UK with fiance

Your fiancée CANNOT apply for a visa from within the UK.

So long as you travel ahead of or with your fiancée you're OK under the "settled" designation, but your fiancée cannot move to the UK ahead of you.

To apply for a visa you will need a job in the UK, paying at least £18,600pa and have held it for six months before applying for a visa for your fiancée. Alternatively you need £62,500 in cash savings.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

ccarl076 is an unknown quantity at this point

She would be arriving with me. I read in the financial requirements that if I have held a job for over 6 months and if I have a job offer it should be fine.

My biggest issue is getting her into the country with me. So she would need to change to a settlement visa, I suppose
Old Apr 20th 2016, 11:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ccarl076
She would be arriving with me. I read in the financial requirements that if I have held a job for over 6 months and if I have a job offer it should be fine. .....
Correct, so long as the offer is in writing and both your current job and the one in the UK are at or above the £18,600 threshold.
.... My biggest issue is getting her into the country with me. So she would need to change to a settlement visa, I suppose
Not "change", she must apply for a visa while she is outside the UK, no exceptions.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ccarl076
She would be arriving with me. I read in the financial requirements that if I have held a job for over 6 months and if I have a job offer it should be fine.

My biggest issue is getting her into the country with me. So she would need to change to a settlement visa, I suppose
You need to read the following document to see how YOU qualify under the financial requirements. You also need to fulfill relationship and accommodation requirements:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ugust_2015.pdf

You should also read the following document about gaining a settlement visa:

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

As said she needs to apply for a settlement visa from SA.