Wikiposts

Help please! Obtaining British Cistizenship

Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Qwire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help please! Obtaining British Cistizenship

Okay, so- I have been trying to do a lot of research into this because I want to claim my British citizenship. My father currently resides in the UK along with my newborn baby sister, so I would like to go there more often/possibly entertain the thought of living there. There is so much to go through though so I am a bit overwhelmed so any direction would help. Alright, I am 20 years of age, my father is a citizen of the UK and my mother the USA. All of my father's relations (grandmother, grandfather, etc.) all were/are British citizens. I was wondering if someone on this site can help me turn to what specific forms I need to fill out/where I need to go exactly.
Thank you so much in advance!
-Cain

Last edited by Qwire; Jan 28th 2014 at 8:51 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 9:04 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help please! Obtaining British Cistizenship

Originally Posted by Qwire
Okay, so- I have been trying to do a lot of research into this because I want to claim my British citizenship. My father currently resides in the UK along with my newborn baby sister, so I would like to go there more often/possibly entertain the thought of living there. There is so much to go through though so I am a bit overwhelmed so any direction would help. Alright, I am 20 years of age, my father is a citizen of the UK and my mother the USA. All of my father's relations (grandmother, grandfather, etc.) all were/are British citizens. I was wondering if someone on this site can help me turn to what specific forms I need to fill out/where I need to go exactly.
Thank you so much in advance!
-Cain
Slounds like you are already a British Citizen by descent, and all you will need to do is to get a British Passport. One question, which could make things even easier, is 'Where were you born', if in the UK then you will have a British birth certificate. I suspect that to get a British pasport you would need your Birthcert, parents marriage ceert and Fathers birth cert.

Info here..
https://www.gov.uk/british-passport-eligibility

and here..

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...tishpassports/

and here..

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...hip_by_Descent
Old Jan 28th 2014, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Qwire is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there anything I need to do to claim that citizenship though before tackling the application for the passport? Or can I just apply for a passport and through that my dual citizenship would be claimed? I was born in the states and at the time both my mother and father did not think to apply for my passport/citizenship for the UK. My parents have since been divorced so in theory would their divorce papers be proficient as opposed to their marriage certificate? My father's birth certificate I can get.

Thank you so much for the links, I have already started looking them over. It just helps to have some clarification from someone on the matter.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Was your father born in the UK?
Old Jan 29th 2014, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
Was your father born in the UK?
Good question, since if the father was born outside of the UK then he, the father, is British by descent and so cannot automatically pass British citizenship onto his children.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 8:22 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Presuming the following:

1) Your father was born in the UK and was a British citizen at birth
2) Your father was married to your mother at the time of your birth
3) You were born in the United States after 1983

then in all likelihood you are a British citizen by descent. As mentioned you will just need to apply for your passport.

You'll need your long form US birth certificate (dated no later than three months after your birth), your father's British birth certificate and your parent's marriage certificate.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports