Help needed. Which Visa application form?

Old Nov 27th 2016, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Alba11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help needed. Which Visa application form?

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice please.
I am a British citizen but my 18 year old daughter was born in the USA. I moved back to the UK after 30 years in the US and She's visiting me here in the UK at the moment and has decided she would like to live here with me and possibly study at university next year. I've attempted to work out which Visa application form should be completed but it's as clear as mud to me
She would be living with me and I would support her financially if she decides on Uni next year or until she secured a job.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old Nov 27th 2016, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed. Which Visa application form?

If you are a British citizen born and bred, then she would be eligible for a British passport (SHE would be British by descent).

Apply for her passport and she won't need to worry about visas.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 5:43 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Providing you were born in the UK and you were married to your daughter's mother at the time she was born then she is a British citizen and needs only apply for her British passport. If you never married her mother then she would need to register as a British citizen before being eligible for a British passport.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Foreign students fees will be payable. Just warning you. For domestic fees to apply, you need 3-year residence prior to university.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I was not born in the UK, I am a citizen by descent (mother is Scottish). I am my daughter's mother if that changes anything?

Thanks again.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alba11
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I was not born in the UK, I am a citizen by descent (mother is Scottish). I am my daughter's mother if that changes anything?

Thanks again.
So how long have you been living in the UK?

That might have an affect on whether or not you can register her as British. BritinParis is the expert on registration.

If not able to get her a Brit passport, then Ancestry visa looks like the way to go, or general student visa.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
So how long have you been living in the UK?

That might have an affect on whether or not you can register her as British. BritinParis is the expert on registration.

If not able to get her a Brit passport, then Ancestry visa looks like the way to go, or general student visa.
Hi SanDiegogirl, thanks for your time

I lived here for 20 years, went to the US for 30 and just moved back here in July. I kinda thought it would have to be a family visa but not sure and don't want to file an application and waste 1,000+ if it's the wrong form.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi SanDiegogirl, thanks for your time

I lived here for 20 years, went to the US for 30 and just moved back here in July. I kinda thought it would have to be a family visa but not sure and don't want to file an application and waste 1,000+ if it's the wrong form.
I was thinking along the lines of settlement visa but then I saw she is 18 and therefore an adult and so not eligible; and I think I have misled you on the Ancestry visa. Your daughter is not a Commonwealth citizen so is not eligible.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Nov 27th 2016 at 9:29 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 10:47 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If your daughter has turned 18 then you've missed the boat on registration as a British citizen and a settlement visa as the child of a settled person. She'll have to do it the hard way now and apply for a Tier 4 Student visa if she wishes to study in the UK although it won't lead to settlement. This is assuming your father wasn't in Crown service at the time of your birth.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay but I've been away.

Sp am I right in thinking now that she's over 18, the only way she can live here is to apply for a visa to study? There's no other way like me sponsoring her?

Thanks again.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Sp am I right in thinking now that she's over 18, the only way she can live here is to apply for a visa to study?
Originally Posted by BritInParis
assuming your father wasn't in Crown service at the time of your birth.

There's no other way like me sponsoring her?
You can't sponsor her. She will need to find a university to sponsor her on a Tier 4 visa and apply for that visa from the US. That visa doesn't lead to settlement in the UK.
https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa/overview

Last edited by formula; Dec 2nd 2016 at 3:46 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay but I've been away.

Sp am I right in thinking now that she's over 18, the only way she can live here is to apply for a visa to study? There's no other way like me sponsoring her?

Thanks again.
No.... unfortunately she is now an adult; does not qualify for Ancestry visa so the student visa is the way to go.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 5:49 am
Just Joined

Priya123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can someone help me with my below question:
While filling appendix 2 for UK settlement visa - wife we have missed to below answer question but we have provided supporting documents and answered this question on our cover letters.
1.7 How do you keep in touch with your sponsor?

How serious will this be? Do we have to worry about anything?