Help/advice required for marriage visa!

Old Mar 7th 2014, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

ginomixtun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help/advice required for marriage visa!

Thank you all in advance.

I have a question regarding the process for marriage in the UK. I am British and my partner is from Guatemala. We met over one year ago while I was living in Guatemala and we want to marry. We are a same-sex couple and want to enter a civil partnership in the UK.

I am currently in the UK and he is in Guatemala. I understand the financial requirements, and thankfully I am about to start a new job in April which meets the financial requirements. Therefore, we have to wait 6 months before we can apply.

He will travel to the UK on a tourist visa and stay with me, perhaps doing some English courses and voluntary work.

My questions are:

1) What is the initial visa that we need to apply for? Am I correct in thinking it is the "Marriage Visitor visa" ?

1) Does he need to return to Guatemala to apply for the visa to come to the UK? I think so due to the fact he will arrive on a tourist visa.

2) If I start working on 01 April 2014, how long do we have to wait before applying for the visa? How can I prove that I am earning over £18, 600 per year? How many pay slips will I need to provide?

Thank you for your help!
Old Mar 7th 2014, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice
Default Re: Help/advice required for marriage visa!

Not sure about the answers to your questions, but you should have a look at this website: http://uklgig.org.uk (UK Lesbian & Gay Immigration Group)

You might find some useful info there.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

ginomixtun is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe that the same rules apply to civil partnerships as well as marriages in the UK. Thanks!
Old Mar 7th 2014, 3:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

To be clear - a marriage visitor visa is for people coming to the UK to marry and then return to their own country, neither parties need to be British. If you wish to stay in the UK after marrying your British partner then you'll want to apply for a fiancé visa.

Same sex couples will be able to marry in England and Wales as of 29 March so the terminology will became the same as heterosexual couples. In your situation you will probably want to apply for a marriage visitor visa. This will give your partner six months in the UK in order for you to get married.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa

After you marry he will need to return to Guatemala to apply for a partner visa which you will then meet the financial requirements for. However your partner won't be able to undertake a formal study course whilst on a marriage visitor visa.

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk