Health Surcharge fir spouse visa

Old May 5th 2015, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

emerlyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Surcharge fir spouse visa

Im puzzled regarding about this health surcharge.. anu idea about this.? Do i need to pay this? Im a filipina and my husband is my sponsor..
Old May 5th 2015, 2:33 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Surcharge fir spouse visa

Originally Posted by emerlyn
Im puzzled regarding about this health surcharge.. anu idea about this.? Do i need to pay this? Im a filipina and my husband is my sponsor..
Yes it's a surcharge on all the non EU citizen coming on a Spouse visa and has to be paid, it's a way for pre paying for any NHS treatment ypou may need.
Old May 5th 2015, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Health Surcharge for spouse visa

Do you have any idea how much will be the cost?
Old May 5th 2015, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Yes it's a surcharge on all the non EU citizen coming on a Spouse visa and has to be paid, it's a way for pre paying for any NHS treatment ypou may need.
Do you know much will be the cost?
Old May 5th 2015, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emerlyn
Do you know much will be the cost?
£600. You need to pay this before you apply for your visa as you need your IHS number for your application.

Last edited by formula; May 5th 2015 at 2:43 pm.
Old May 5th 2015, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Yes it's a surcharge on all the non EU citizen coming on a Spouse visa and has to be paid,
All those with a visa of over 6 months buy this IHS which then gives them free access to the NHS as only those with permanant residence of the UK can now use the NHS for free. Those on a Tier 2(ICT) visa are exempt from paying this IHS although they still need to register before their visa application to get their IHS number, but their IHS bill will show as £0. They also need this IHS number so that the NHS know they don't need to be billed. The same for Australians and New Zelanders who will also get an IHS number with a £0 bill.

EU citizens and their non-EU dependants have been asking on other lists if they can buy this £200 a year IHS instead of having to buy private health insurance, but have been told that they can't.

Last edited by formula; May 5th 2015 at 3:52 pm.
Old May 5th 2015, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
£600. You need to pay this before you apply for your visa as you need your IHS number for your application.
..... and you need to pay it again when you apply for FLR after the first 2.5 years of your spouse visa.
Old May 5th 2015, 4:13 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Where or when does the £600 come in - I thought it was just £200 per year right up to ILR for the non EU spouse?

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigr...n/how-much-pay

I know the visa application fee for the 'family of a settled person' is £1500, then again at FLR and at ILR - £4500 +the NHS charge

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...2015_03_30.pdf

Last edited by not2old; May 5th 2015 at 4:18 pm.
Old May 5th 2015, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by not2old
Where or when does the £600 come in - I thought it was just £200 per year right up to ILR for the non EU spouse?
They pay per visa. The Immigration Health Surcharge is £200 per year, or part 6 months rounded up, for the duration of the visa. Therefore the first 33 months spouse visa is £200 x 3 = £600

The second spouse visa is for 30 months. £200 x 2.5 = £500 (or x 2.5 whatever the IHS is per year at the time of the application).

The IHS fee is returned if the visa is refused. The visa fee isn't.

When they apply for ILR, they don't pay the IHS.
If ILR isn't granted and LLR is given instead, then UKVI will contact them to pay the IHS for the duration of their new visa before their visa is issued.

Last edited by formula; May 5th 2015 at 5:47 pm.
Old May 5th 2015, 7:49 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I remembered, when I read about this earlier, that there was exemption from the IHS for folks who had paid UK NICs for ten years or more, or who were currently in receipt of the British state pension. This will be my wife's situation, if she decides she wants to come to live in the UK. But, looking at the documentation online, I don't see that as one of the listed reasons for being exempt from the IHS.... ?
Old May 6th 2015, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
I thought I remembered, when I read about this earlier, that there was exemption from the IHS for folks who had paid UK NICs for ten years or more, or who were currently in receipt of the British state pension. This will be my wife's situation, if she decides she wants to come to live in the UK. But, looking at the documentation online, I don't see that as one of the listed reasons for being exempt from the IHS.... ?
There was talk about 7 years NICs in the government's consultation, but that didn't seem to make it into the law. I assume that got blocked/thrown out by the opposition as the Immigration Bill worked it's way through parliament and became law?

If your wife has ILR then she won't need to pay the IHS when she decides to live in the UK as ILR will make her a permanent resident of the UK.

Last edited by formula; May 6th 2015 at 12:58 pm.
Old May 6th 2015, 2:10 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

There was talk about 7 years NICs in the government's consultation, but that didn't seem to make it into the law. I assume that got blocked/thrown out by the opposition as the Immigration Bill worked it's way through parliament and became law?

If your wife has ILR then she won't need to pay the IHS when she decides to live in the UK as ILR will make her a permanent resident of the UK.
She had ILR back in the 80s when we lived & worked in England, but we just up sticks and went to the U.S. in 1991 when we were both made redundant. Clearly she should have proceeded to get her citizenship at that point, but we weren't thinking ahead. So this leaves us with having to start again at the beginning with a spouse visa. She has been getting her British state pension for several years, since she's the age group that still got it at age sixty.
Old May 7th 2015, 11:24 pm
Heading for Poppyland

I know it's been said before but the more one thinks about this IHS the more bizarre it is. NHS is funded out of general taxation. An immigrant comes to live in England, they become a taxpayer from day one in the country. So ... what, again, is the justification for having to pay the IHS?
Old May 7th 2015, 11:29 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's been said before but the more one thinks about this IHS the more bizarre it is. NHS is funded out of general taxation. An immigrant comes to live in England, they become a taxpayer from day one in the country. So ... what, again, is the justification for having to pay the IHS?
None, other than they can, it raises revenue and it makes them look tough on immigration. A far simpler solution would be to just increase visa fees but this wouldn't have made as much political hay.
Old May 8th 2015, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

What if they don't become taxpayers? Plenty of spouses/children/parents enter the UK and don't become taxpayers because they never work.

There was one lady on this forum lately.....she has only just entered the UK on spouse visa and is already pregnant - asking about NHS services.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.