Health charge - 3 years instead of 2.5?

Old Jan 8th 2020, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

alyssalou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health charge - 3 years instead of 2.5?

I just paid my health surcharge as part of my application, and the total came to $1644 - about $300 more than I was expecting based on the current USD to GBP exchange rate. I'm guessing that I was charged for 3 years of health care instead of 2.5 - is that normal? If not can I seek any sort of refund without jeopardizing my application?
Old Jan 8th 2020, 7:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health charge - 3 years instead of 2.5?

That’s right - you pay a full year for six months or more.

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigr...n/how-much-pay

HTH.
Old Jan 8th 2020, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

alyssalou is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That’s right - you pay a full year for six months or more.

HTH.
Dang. Has that been changed recently? Everything I can remember reading on it said that for the spouse visa it would be £1000 total.
Old Jan 8th 2020, 8:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alyssalou
Dang. Has that been changed recently? Everything I can remember reading on it said that for the spouse visa it would be £1000 total.
It's always been the case that you pay a full year for any part year 6 months or more that I recall. But the fee itself did increase about a year ago if that's what you're thinking of?
Old Jan 8th 2020, 11:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It should be £1000. You should’ve paid in pound sterling. Did you receive an emailed receipt?
Old Jan 8th 2020, 11:58 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It should be £1000. You should’ve paid in pound sterling. Did you receive an emailed receipt?
I thought it was £1,000 as well, but inputting info into this calculator from the position of applying for a spouse visa, the amount to pay is £1,200.
https://www.immigration-health-surch...k/checker/type

The below seems to suggest that the reason may be because the visa's validity period is 33 months?

You’ll pay half of the yearly amount if your application includes part of a year that is less than 6 months.
You’ll pay for a whole year if your application includes part of a year that is more than 6 months.

Edit: sorry for the duplicate link Christmasoopma!

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Jan 9th 2020 at 12:01 am.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 1:03 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Good catch. My brain wasn’t fully engaged. Yes, the initial spouse visa is valid for 33 months so it’ll be £1200, not £1000.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 11:37 am
Just Joined

xmiki is an unknown quantity at this point

I paid on a UK card and mine came to £1,247.28. Does anyone know why the extra 47.28 has come out? It can't be conversion fees of GBP to dollar because that came out later at a price of £34.30.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 3:34 am
Just Joined

Lond is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xmiki
I paid on a UK card and mine came to £1,247.28. Does anyone know why the extra 47.28 has come out? It can't be conversion fees of GBP to dollar because that came out later at a price of £34.30.
So did I and I was charged £1241.93, these differences seem like it has something to do with conversions. Of course I am just guessing so maybe someone will enlighten us.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

j4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, the solicitor that I was with, I did go to see him and he mentioned that the price had gone up! I'm sure it was something like £600 before.

Now I'll have to pay £1,000. Yikes.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 4:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by j4v3d
Ah, the solicitor that I was with, I did go to see him and he mentioned that the price had gone up! I'm sure it was something like £600 before.

Now I'll have to pay £1,000. Yikes.
Possibly more depending on when you apply - it's about to go up again.