Heading home - visa questions

Old Sep 9th 2021, 4:09 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Heading home - visa questions

So the time has come for me to the family to head home, and I have few questions about the visa process.

The family: Me - UK/US citizen born before 1983 in Germany, but father was in Crown service so British citizenship not by descent.
The kids (3) - All born in the US between 2008 and 2015, so US/UK citizens, British citizenship by descent.
The Mrs. - US citizen only, married 15+ years.

So, from my understand, the kids and I can just pitch up at the airport with British passports and we're all good to go? Is there anyone we need to tell that we are moving?

Obviously, we need to get a visa for the Mrs., so a few questions about that. I need to have a job offer with a start date of within three months.
So do I need to have the job offer before we can even apply for the visa?
Is the three months from when we apply, or when we plan to move?
I am hoping to transfer within the company I currently work for to their UK office, but if that doesn't work out, then get a job with a different company. Will that make a difference to the visa application?
Once we apply for the visa, can my wife take a trip over to Blighty, looking for places to live etc., and do we have to the government know about?

It's still in the early stages, so trying to get it all figured out.

TIA
Old Sep 9th 2021, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heading home - visa questions

Read the following document carefully to see how you can qualify. There are only certain categories

https://assets.publishing.service.go...t-v7.0-ext.pdf

Basically, you don't have to have a job to go to if you have savings (62,500 GBP); if you have a current job earning 18,600 GBP AND you have a UK job offer also earning 18,600 GBP you could apply in the US and travel over together; if YOU - the supporting Brit, has to return to the UK and get job then you apply when you are working at new job.
You can also use pensions etc (but sounds as though you are of working age)
Yes the 3 months is from when you intend to move.
Not recommended to 'visit' while application is in process, but people have certainly done it.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 11:25 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Read the following document carefully to see how you can qualify. There are only certain categories

https://assets.publishing.service.go...t-v7.0-ext.pdf

Basically, you don't have to have a job to go to if you have savings (62,500 GBP); if you have a current job earning 18,600 GBP AND you have a UK job offer also earning 18,600 GBP you could apply in the US and travel over together; if YOU - the supporting Brit, has to return to the UK and get job then you apply when you are working at new job.
You can also use pensions etc (but sounds as though you are of working age)
Yes the 3 months is from when you intend to move.
Not recommended to 'visit' while application is in process, but people have certainly done it.
Thanks for the answers. Perhaps I'm missing something, but if you have to have a job offer before you can apply, and the start date is within three months of when you move then I don't see how I can know what the start date should be considering the date when we move will be based on the time it takes to approve the visa.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Spouse visa are now taking around 3 months - that timescale was extended during Covid but has improved. You can also get priority processing which reduces it down to 4 to 6 weeks.

So most people when talking to prospective employers inform them that it could take up to 3 months for visa. Plus anytime for the actual move. Some people (the Brit) moves over prior to the rest of the family to secure a job.

You don't HAVE to have a job in the UK before you apply - you could use savings/pensions to cover the financial requirements.

The link I gave you provides great info as to how you qualify and what is required.