great grandparents

Old Oct 12th 2016, 3:40 am
Just Joined

whalley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default great grandparents

Hi
So my dad grandfather came to Canada from Liverpool one year later he had my grandfather my dads dad
Can I use this link to get the ansetry visa
Or can someone help with any information
I would like to move back to the UK
Any help would be appreciated
Old Oct 12th 2016, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: great grandparents

Unfortunately the ancestry visa is limited to people with grandparents born in the UK. So if your grandfather was born in the UK you could get the visa but it seems like he was born in Canada.

What is your mum's family background? Was she or your maternal grandparents born in another European country? If so you could use that potentially to get a different European Union citizenship and use the benefits of that to live in the UK. However its worth noting with Brexit we don't know what will happen to the rights of EU citizens planning to move to the UK but chances are very high they will remain favourable vs Canadian citizens at least in the next 5 yrs.

I know the feeling you have - I feel the same about where my grandparents came from (Malta) and i'm in Canada just like you. I was able to get Maltese citizenship and a Maltese passport through them though so I am good to go.

Good luck
Old Oct 12th 2016, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Hi thanks for the help
My mom is the same her grandparents are born in the UK but her parents are from Canada
Do you happen to know where I can get birth certificates is there a site I can go in
Old Oct 12th 2016, 5:12 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

For births in England and Wales you can order birth certificates from the GRO through their website for £9.25 each.

General Register Office (GRO) - Official information on births, marriages and deaths

You can search for the relevant details first using FreeBMD.

FreeBMD Home Page
Old Oct 13th 2016, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

If my girlfriend gets her citizenship and we get married in Canada and we move to Ireland can I get some kind of work permit?
Old Oct 13th 2016, 6:22 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whalley
If my girlfriend gets her citizenship and we get married in Canada and we move to Ireland can I get some kind of work permit?
Which citizenship is your girlfriend looking to acquire?
Old Oct 13th 2016, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Her grandfather and grandmother are from Belfast
Old Oct 13th 2016, 6:36 pm

Her grandfather and grandmother are from Belfast
So she is entitled to a UK ancestry visa and Irish citizenship via the Foreign Births Register. If you go for the latter option then you can move anywhere within the EU/EEA including the UK and the RoI as a married couple. The procedure for visas will differ depending on which side of the border you wish to live but both are pretty straightforward in terms of visas.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Great so basically I can get my work visa
Is there a site I can look up to see what the rules are going to be for my visa
And thanks for your reply
Old Oct 13th 2016, 7:02 pm

Great so basically I can get my work visa
Is there a site I can look up to see what the rules are going to be for my visa
And thanks for your reply
You won't get a 'work visa' but you will be allowed to work. However you still haven't said where you're planning to go.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Northern Ireland
Old Oct 13th 2016, 10:48 pm

Northern Ireland
In that case you'll be after an EEA Family Permit. You'll need to apply for this from within Canada, it's free and valid for six months. After you arrive in NI apply for your EEA residence card. This costs £65 and it's valid for five years.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the information it really helped
So next step is to get married lol
Old Oct 13th 2016, 11:05 pm

Thank you for the information it really helped
So next step is to get married lol
Don't take too long. The EEA family route is unlikely to continue once the UK leaves the European Union.