Got married with a visitor's visa

Old Mar 29th 2016, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

harry_ariy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got married with a visitor's visa

Hello,
Advise is needed:
I am a British citizen and married my girlfriend when she was in the UK on a tourist visa. Will she be able to apply for a settlement visa from her country of origin
Old Mar 29th 2016, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got married with a visitor's visa

Originally Posted by harry_ariy
Advise is needed...
More information is needed.

I am a British citizen and married my girlfriend when she was in the UK on a tourist visa.
Congratulations - what is her citizenship? You don't say and we're not mind readers.

Will she be able to apply for a settlement visa from her country of origin
Perhaps, perhaps not. Where do you plan on living... the UK or wherever she's from?

Ian
Old Mar 29th 2016, 10:15 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You're on the wrong forum, please refer to UK-Yankee Forum - Index
Old Mar 29th 2016, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

My wife is in India. We had no plans to get married when she applied to come to the UK on a visitors visa. We did seek clarifications from the registrar of marriages as well as from the Home Office in Liverpool. Now she is back in India. Planning to apply for a settlement visa for her to come to live with me in
Old Mar 29th 2016, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is in India. We had no plans to get married when she applied to come to the UK on a visitors visa. We did seek clarifications from the registrar of marriages as well as from the Home Office in Liverpool. Now she is back in India. Planning to apply for a settlement visa for her to come to live with me in
Surprised you were able to do this....... registries and religious venues are much more conscious of immigration rules and have to apply for a permit to marry someone who is in the UK on a visitor visa and who wishes to marry.

Expect to get more scrutiny of the settlement application.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
The registrar's office did refer our request to the Home Office. Home Office gave no case for concern. Hence we were married at the registrar's office. My concern is that I realise that one cannot marry a UK citizen while on a visitor's visa. Has my wife violated the immigration rules by marrying me? If so how to remedy this?
Old Mar 29th 2016, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
The registrar's office did refer our request to the Home Office. Home Office gave no case for concern. Hence we were married at the registrar's office. My concern is that I realise that one cannot marry a UK citizen while on a visitor's visa. Has my wife violated the immigration rules by marrying me? If so how to remedy this?
Nothing you can do as you are married - you can't "unmarry" and do it properly.

As said, apply and see what happens.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 5:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
You're on the wrong forum, please refer to UK-Yankee Forum - Index
Its been moved to the BE UK forum, its fine there.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
My concern is that I realise that one cannot marry a UK citizen while on a visitor's visa. Has my wife violated the immigration rules by marrying me? If so how to remedy this?
Then why didn't she apply for the correct visa: a Marriage Visitor visa?

Or if you only decided when she got here, why didn't she return home and apply for a Fiance visa so she could marry in the UK (if that is where she wanted to get married)?

Did you tell the Home Office she was only a a standard visitor visa, when she applied to marry you on that visa?

This is what it says for the standard visitor visa that she applied for.

"What you can and can’t do

You can:
You can’t:
  • do paid or unpaid work
  • live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent visits
  • get public funds
  • marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership"
https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa/overview

I'm not sure how a breach of that visa would be viewed. What other information did she omit from her standard visitor visa application? Did she admit she was coming to visit her boyfriend/fiance on her visa application? And at the border if asked?

All you can do is apply for a spouse visa and see what happens. Her application will be looked at closely.

Last edited by formula; Mar 30th 2016 at 10:00 am.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 10:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You can't come to the UK on a standard visitor's visa with the express purpose to marry. You are not explicitly prevented from marrying by the Immigration Rules despite what the GOV.UK website states which is why the registrar and Home Office allowed your marriage to go ahead. Providing your wife applies from India for her settlement visa and you meet the other requirements then you'll be fine.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Hello,
Thank you for the positive response. My wife did apply for a settlement visa from India and she has been refused on the following grounds:
Whilst considering your application I must also take in to consideration your previous immigration history. I note that you travelled to the UK as a visitor following an invitation from a family friend Mr Harry. Rules for visitors is detailed bellow:
A visit visa should normally be refused where the applicant has previously contrived in a
significant way to frustrate the intentions of the Rules by: (i) overstaying; or
(ii) breaching a condition attached to his leave; or
(iii) being an illegal entrant; or
(iv) using deception in an application for entry clearance, leave to enter or remain or in order to obtain documents from the Secretary of State or a third party required in support of the application (whether successful or not);
and there are other aggravating circumstances, such as absconding, not meeting temporary admission/reporting restrictions or bail conditions, using an assumed identity or multiple identities, switching nationality, making frivolous applications or not complying with the re-documentation process.
A visit visa is for a maximum of 6 months but I note that you married during your stay in the uK.
You made no reference to your spouse in the previous application nor did you mention your intention to marry. That aside, there are specific categories through which you could apply if your intention was to marry. The visit cateqory has no facilitv to allow setflement. Given the above I am not satisfied that you meet the suitability requirements of EC-P.1 . 1 (c) - Section S-EC
Your application for entry clearance to come to the United Kingdom is therefore refused.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

In your OP you asked the following question:

Will she be able to apply for a settlement visa...
Then, after several people had spent time giving advice, you casually mention:

My wife did apply for a settlement visa...and she has been refused....
If you expect accurate advice, you need to give the whole story at the outset. What were you trying to gain by misleading contributors on this forum?
Old Mar 31st 2016, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teejaydee

If you expect accurate advice, you need to give the whole story at the outset. What were you trying to gain by misleading contributors on this forum?
Misleading the Home Office has its consequences.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

I am sorry if you thought I was misleading the forum.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 3:24 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyleo
Misleading the Home Office has its consequences.
He didn't mislead anyone.

She entered legally. They decided to get married. They applied for permission at a registrar. The registrar informed the Home Office of the request and it was approved. They married and she returned home. She will be applying to settle from abroad, as is required.

Dude just asked a question. Can we not advise him without giving him the jitters over things which will not affect his application?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.