Going home with my American fiance.

Old Mar 14th 2014, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

MrsParadis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going home with my American fiance.

Ok here is my situation. I am a dual citizen of the UK and the US. My fiance is an American citizen. We intend to move to the UK after we graduate college. I read somewhere that he cannot become a British citizen through marriage because I am a woman. So with that option gone what should we do so that we can be together in the UK without the possibility of him being deported? Also I am clueless about the time this process takes. Any advise or information would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice
Default Re: Going home with my American fiance.

Hello,
As far as I know being male or female doesn't enter into the equation. However it sounds like you have a lot to learn about the process. Suggest you start here and then post questions afterwards. Prepare yourself for a bit of a shock as its not so easy moving to the UK with a foreign spouse.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spouse_Immigration-UK_
Good luck
Nigel
Old Mar 14th 2014, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Thank you. Yeah pretty clueless here but equally determined.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The first thing you need to do is to be able to sponsor your fiancee for a visa in order to enter the UK to live permanently.

Whether you go for a fiance visa, marry in the UK and then apply for the spouse visa OR just get married in the US and apply for a spouse visa straightaway YOU as the British partner, needs to be able to sponsor your partner by income or savings/investments etc.

YOU need to be earning 18,600 GBP per annum or have savings of 62,500 GBP if no income.

If you earn this equivalent now in the US AND have a job in the UK starting within 3 months of return again earning a minimum of 18,600 then you can apply immediately for a visa.

If no job currently you have to return to the UK (alone) obtain a job earning said minimum and apply after 6 months.

Read the following document to see how you can qualify:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...5/IDI6.doc.pdf

Citizenship for your partner does not come until he has been legally resident in the UK for 5 years - similar to someone emigrating to the US
Old Mar 15th 2014, 12:09 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsParadis
Ok here is my situation. I am a dual citizen of the UK and the US. My fiance is an American citizen. We intend to move to the UK after we graduate college. I read somewhere that he cannot become a British citizen through marriage because I am a woman. So with that option gone what should we do so that we can be together in the UK without the possibility of him being deported? Also I am clueless about the time this process takes. Any advise or information would be greatly appreciated.
Automatic British citizenship through marriage hasn't been available to foreign wives of British men since 1949 so I think your source is little outdated. Check out the wiki and the summary SanDiegogirl posted and come back with any follow-up questions.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 5:26 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much everyone, this is all really helpful information. It's very much appreciated.