British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Getting universal credit and using cash savings for visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/getting-universal-credit-using-cash-savings-visa-942396/)

Mfamily Jan 17th 2022 12:56 pm

Getting universal credit and using cash savings for visa

Hi how are you everyone!
i want to ask we got two kids and my wife is getting universal credit can i apply my extension by using cash savings? Or is there be any problem for using cash savings route? Thank you

christmasoompa Jan 17th 2022 1:06 pm

Re: Getting universal credit and using cash savings for visa

Originally Posted by Mfamily (Post 13088570)
Hi how are you everyone!
i want to ask we got two kids and my wife is getting universal credit can i apply my extension by using cash savings? Or is there be any problem for using cash savings route? Thank you

The two should be exclusive, as your wife isn't eligible for UC if you have over £16k of savings. So if you do have the amount of savings required to apply for the visa extension, she shouldn't be claiming UC.

Mfamily Jan 17th 2022 1:21 pm

But can't you take Universal Credit for kids or other purposes that it's combination of different things, if you have money more than 16k?
we don't have any job yet so that's mean if we'll apply using cash savings then visa will be refused? Is there any link between UC and immigration? Or any question about UC on flrm forum?

christmasoompa Jan 17th 2022 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mfamily (Post 13088577)
But can't you take Universal Credit for kids or other purposes that it's combination of different things, if you have money more than 16k??

No, absolutely not. Your wife isn't eligible for UC if you have savings more than £16k. Here's the official info. https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/eligibility

Originally Posted by Mfamily (Post 13088577)
Is there any link between UC and immigration? Or any question about UC on flrm forum?

Of course there's a link, they're both administered by the UK government. If your wife is claiming UC and you have over £16k in savings (looks as though you do, as you applied for your initial visa using savings too, and now plan to apply for the extension with them), then she needs to tell the benefits office that she's been claiming it by mistake urgently.

SanDiegogirl Jan 17th 2022 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Mfamily (Post 13088570)
Hi how are you everyone!

So you've got 62,500GBP in savings and you are claiming UC? Did you declare these savings when you applied for UC?

Mfamily Jan 17th 2022 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 13088609)
So you've got 62,500GBP in savings and you are claiming UC? Did you declare these savings when you applied for UC?

My wife applied for universal credit before my coming to UK that's why she didn't declare that time about savings.now someone told us that you both have to be on universal credit with joint account. But savings is not in our accounts in UK but it's in our abroad account money came from inheritance.

DaveLovesDee Jan 17th 2022 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mfamily (Post 13088661)
My wife applied for universal credit before my coming to UK that's why she didn't declare that time about savings.now someone told us that you both have to be on universal credit with joint account. But savings is not in our accounts in UK but it's in our abroad account money came from inheritance.

The money neded to be declared to UC the day you moved in togther, or ASAP at the very latest. You need to notify them ASAP.

The Home Office has access to the HMRC and DWP databases. If the DWP don't know by the time your Spouse visa needs renewing, it will show up then, and I believe it can lead to the visa renewal being denied.

christmasoompa Jan 17th 2022 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13088665)
The money neded to be declared to UC the day you moved in togther, or ASAP at the very latest. You need to notify them ASAP.

The Home Office has access to the HMRC and DWP databases. If the DWP don't know by the time your Spouse visa needs renewing, it will show up then, and I believe it can lead to the visa renewal being denied.

Yep, what he said. ^^^ Your wife should have already informed the DWP about her change in circumstances, and needs to do so asap using the 'report a change' section in her online account.

OP, you say the money is 'in our abroad account', so your wife's name is on the savings account?

DaveLovesDee Jan 17th 2022 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13088669)
OP, you say the money is 'in our abroad account', so your wife's name is on the savings account?

I'm on UC.

We had to report any accounts belonging to my me, my wife, and my adult daughter who lives with us. No matter what country those accounts were held in.

Mfamily Jan 17th 2022 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13088669)
Yep, what he said. ^^^ Your wife should have already informed the DWP about her change in circumstances, and needs to do so asap using the 'report a change' section in her online account.

She contacted them 2 time on phone and tried to ask but they said we don't know if you want to ask any question then contact case manager. Then we tried to join our account without contacting them now we need to fill all the forms again so what's should we do first? Should we report them first or fill the forms?

christmasoompa Jan 17th 2022 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13088670)
I'm on UC.

We had to report any accounts belonging to my me, my wife, and my adult daughter who lives with us. No matter what country those accounts were held in.

Yep. I don't really understand how the OP's wife applied for UC as a single applicant either, given his previous posts say they've been in the UK on and off since March 2020, and he mentions his wife being in Pakistan with him too. They certainly need to sort this asap though.

christmasoompa Jan 17th 2022 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mfamily (Post 13088673)
She contacted them 2 time on phone and tried to ask but they said we don't know if you want to ask any question then contact case manager. Then we tried to join our account without contacting them now we need to fill all the forms again so what's should we do first? Should we report them first or fill the forms?

Case manager for what, who have you contacted? Your wife really needs to be honest about how long you've been living together and your savings. https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/...-circumstances

SanDiegogirl Jan 17th 2022 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13088674)
Yep. I don't really understand how the OP's wife applied for UC as a single applicant either, given his previous posts say they've been in the UK on and off since March 2020, and he mentions his wife being in Pakistan with him too. They certainly need to sort this asap though.

,,,,, its called Benefit Fraud........ you don't just forget to mention you have 62,500 GBP in savings when applying for benefits.
How to get UC was one of the first questions the OP asked when arriving in the UK in June 2020

Mfamily Jan 17th 2022 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13088675)
Case manager for what, who have you contacted? Your wife really needs to be honest about how long you've been living together and your savings. https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/...-circumstances

My Wife got call from them 2 times and asked them that my husband is not allowed public funds should i add him with my universal credit or not they said you can ask case manager about these questionYes i came in 28th of march 2020 and started living with my wife and kids she applied her UC before my coming. Because of Covid i didn't get my national insurance number then we went to Abroad and stuck there now we are here since May 2021 and i just got my national insurance number one month ago.
What should we do now?

christmasoompa Jan 17th 2022 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Mfamily (Post 13088679)
My Wife got call from them 2 times and asked them that my husband is not allowed public funds should i add him with my universal credit or not they said you can ask case manager about these question

It's very clear on all the info about UC, of course she should have added you. It would have been a simple thing to do in her online account.

Originally Posted by Mfamily (Post 13088679)
Yes i came in 28th of march 2020 and started living with my wife and kids she applied her UC before my coming. Because of Covid i didn't get my national insurance number then we went to Abroad and stuck there now we are here since May 2021 and i just got my national insurance number one month ago.
What should we do now?

It doesn't matter if you don't have a NI number. It doesn't matter if the money is in an account abroad. Your wife has either made a huge mistake, or committed benefit fraud, either way it's serious and she needs to sort this urgently.

Just tell her to phone them first thing tomorrow. I really can't stress enough how urgently she needs to deal with this and be honest with them.