Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Getting a UK passport (and registering a birth) for my child overseas

Getting a UK passport (and registering a birth) for my child overseas

Old Apr 25th 2015, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Deats is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a UK passport (and registering a birth) for my child overseas

Hi, hopefully someone out there can help me! I keep getting passed from pillar to post and still don't know what to do with regards to obtaining a British passport for my child. Also I would like to register her birth. Maybe someone with first hand experience can help me!?

Here are the facts:

I am British (born and raised)
My wife is Russian
Our child was born in Russia and has just got her Russian passport
Now, we want to get her a British passport
We live in Russia (Saint Petersburg) at the minute

From reading online and calling several UK government offices, I am trying to piece together what is and isn't necessary.

From my understanding my child is British by descent. Thus a British citizen. Right? Do I need any document to prove this - is there such a thing as a citizenship paper for someone who is British by descent? Or can I just go ahead and apply for a passport?

On the government website it says I don't need to register her birth - but other people have said I should as it will make life easier down the line. Some people told me to go to the embassy to do this - but the government website says you must register by mail. Some people say it is quick and easy in the embassy - the gov website says it is 10 weeks+ by mail...

On the gov website it says that it is easier to register a birth once you have a passport (5 days) but if you register before you have a passport it is 10+ weeks. Other people tell me that it is easier to get a passport once you are registered.

Every piece of info seems to contradict the other.

Also, does anyone know whether my child is entitled to travel to England with us (my wife will get a visa) on her Russian passport as my dependent - for example with birth and marriage certificate? Or must she still get a visa? I was told she could apply for 'right of abode'. What documents are required to apply for right of abode? We would like to visit the UK soon and don't know if a passport application would be processed in time - same goes with registering and getting right of abode.

If anyone can offer any help it would be amazing as my head is spinning.

Last edited by Deats; Apr 25th 2015 at 5:28 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a UK passport (and registering a birth) for my child overseas

Originally Posted by Deats
Hi, hopefully someone out there can help me! I keep getting passed from pillar to post and still don't know what to do with regards to obtaining a British passport for my child. Also I would like to register her birth. Maybe someone with first hand experience can help me!?

Here are the facts:

I am British (born and raised)
My wife is Russian
Our child was born in Russia and has just got her Russian passport
Now, we want to get her a British passport
We live in Russia (Saint Petersburg) at the minute

From reading online and calling several UK government offices, I am trying to piece together what is and isn't necessary.

From my understanding my child is British by descent. Thus a British citizen. Right? Do I need any document to prove this - is there such a thing as a citizenship paper for someone who is British by descent? Or can I just go ahead and apply for a passport?

On the government website it says I don't need to register her birth - but other people have said I should as it will make life easier down the line. Some people told me to go to the embassy to do this - but the government website says you must register by mail. Some people say it is quick and easy in the embassy - the gov website says it is 10 weeks+ by mail...

On the gov website it says that it is easier to register a birth once you have a passport (5 days) but if you register before you have a passport it is 10+ weeks. Other people tell me that it is easier to get a passport once you are registered.

Every piece of info seems to contradict the other.

Also, does anyone know whether my child is entitled to travel to England with us (my wife will get a visa) on her Russian passport as my dependent - for example with birth and marriage certificate? Or must she still get a visa? I was told she could apply for 'right of abode'. What documents are required to apply for right of abode? We would like to visit the UK soon and don't know if a passport application would be processed in time - same goes with registering and getting right of abode.

If anyone can offer any help it would be amazing as my head is spinning.
I was in the same situation but in Uruguay. Son born in Uruguay etc

I registered his birth at the British embassy. I recommend this.
Then you can apply for his British passport directly.

I sent the application form for 1st passport for child.
with:
foreign birth certificate, translated also
British embassy certificate (this states he has British citizenship!). Yours will also if you register your child at the embassy.
His Uruguayan passport
I think I included my birth certificate also (don't quite recall)

That's about it. Pretty straightforward.
I was going to apply from overseas but waited until we visited UK. Sent off the application from the PO and within a couple of weeks he had his British passport.

Such a piece of cake compared to the visa process.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Getting a UK passport (and registering a birth) for my child overseas

Thank you for your quick reply and sharing your experience.

Could you answer the following questions please?

1) What year did you register your son?
2) What documents did you take to the embassy?
3) How did you take your son to the UK if you only applied for his passport once you were in the UK?
Old Apr 25th 2015, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your quick reply and sharing your experience.

Could you answer the following questions please?

1) What year did you register your son?
2) What documents did you take to the embassy?
3) How did you take your son to the UK if you only applied for his passport once you were in the UK?
1- just before his 4th birthday I think, 2014
2- local birth certificate, translated copy and his local passport, my birth certificate and passport. I believe my wife's birth certificate also(but not 100% sure). the embassy will be able to tell you. marriage certificate I believe also. remember anything not in English needs to be translated.
3- He travelled on his Uruguayan passport
Old Apr 25th 2015, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

I just read online that from June 2014 they started to withdraw the process of applying to register in embassies and consulates. It seems nowadays that embassies do nothing - in Russia they outsource visas to a special centre, so my guess is they probably won't do registrations either. I will call them on Monday. What a pain!
Old Apr 25th 2015, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

I just read online that from June 2014 they started to withdraw the process of applying to register in embassies and consulates. It seems nowadays that embassies do nothing - in Russia they outsource visas to a special centre, so my guess is they probably won't do registrations either. I will call them on Monday. What a pain!
ah yes the same in Uruguay. I thought it was just there.
Renewed my passport just a week before they stopped that service!
Then they stopped doing any visas so my wife had to go to Argentina!
Not sure if they still do the registrations.
Don't do anything nowadays!! Outsourcing everything.

It was nice that my son was born in a hospital called ' The British Hospital'. Says that on his registration certificate.
Was built early 1900's by us Brits in Montevideo for the Brit community there.
Then they opened to the general public some 30 years ago I believe.

Wife had a private room and bathroom. I had a sofabed to stay with her. Good job as she was in for 6 nights when my son was born.

good luck with the passport.
you can still apply without registering her at the embassy. Just need the birth certificate translating.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 10:57 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Both consular birth registration and overseas passport applications have been repatriated back to the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Registering your child's birth is not mandatory to obtain a passport but it is helpful especially they were born in a country that is considered to be high risk for fraud like Russia.