Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Getting my Wife a British Passport not living in the U.K.

Getting my Wife a British Passport not living in the U.K.

Old Mar 6th 2017, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

MarkBB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting my Wife a British Passport not living in the U.K.

I having been living and working in Poland for 13 years.
I met and married my Polish wife here (10 years married now). We have 4 children who were all born here and have dual citizenship.
By paternal right I have mangaged to get all of my children British Passports with little difficulty but would now like to get one for my wife.
She has never lived or worked in the UK. We have our own house here in Poland, careers and our children are comfortably settled in school.

We have no plans to come back to the U.K.on a permanent basis although we return at least once a year on holiday to see the British side of my family.

Out of security and safety and in preperation for any political changes in these current times I would like to get my wife British citizenship.
All my research on the internet on govemental pages and others all lead me to dead ends when it comes to my specific case.
All i seem to find is that she must live and work in the U.K. for a minimum of 3 years which is not possible or practical for us.

Can anybody please give me advice?
Old Mar 6th 2017, 7:10 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting my Wife a British Passport not living in the U.K.

Foreigner living in a foreign land (nor country with British links) getting British citizenship, I am not aware of that being a thing.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 7:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife cannot obtain British citizenship simply by being married to you. That ended in 1949. Under normal circumstances she would need to live in the UK for at least five years. The only exception would be if you were employed in Crown, EU or designated service.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkBB
I having been living and working in Poland for 13 years.
I met and married my Polish wife here (10 years married now). We have 4 children who were all born here and have dual citizenship.
By paternal right I have mangaged to get all of my children British Passports with little difficulty but would now like to get one for my wife.
One more bit of information for the OP - his children born in Poland are British Citizens by descent, which means that they cannot pass on their British Citizenship to their children (the OP's grandchildren) born outside the UK.