Getting Married in the UK (or outside the UK?)

Old Dec 4th 2018, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

JP93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Getting Married in the UK (or outside the UK?)

Hi everyone!

I will try to describe my current situation now, if anyone has any idea on how to help, please do so. Everything is being really scary and confusing.

Me and my boyfriend wants to stay together, in order to that happen, we want to get married. This is a genuine relationship and we can prove it, we do have the intention to live together afterwards, there's pictures, conversations, friends, etc. We've been together now for 5 months (I know, it's recent). The GOV website gives us too many options and that is very confusing.

I am currently in the UK on a visitor visa. He is British. I am Brazilian. So here we go:

1. Do I really need to leave the country? If so, can I apply from another country in Europe or do I have to go back to my home country in order to apply? (e.g: can I apply from Portugal?)
2. Do we need to first give the notice at a Registration Office and then I apply to come and get married? Or should I first apply to get married and then go to the Office to give notice of the marriage/civil partnership. It says it can take 28 days and it costs 35£ or 47£
3. Which VISA should I go for? Keeping in mind that I want to be with him and stay, and be able to work. Its the Fiancee one (first 6 months and then apply to stay for 30 months, and does this one allows me to work in the first 6 months or not)? The "join your partner"? Family permit? Visitor Marriage?
4. That are several options and some of them shows INSANE fees. One says 93£, others can be up to 1,000£! Does anyone knows how much it will cost us?
5. He does works and earn more than what is required for (18,600£)
6. We will live together in the same house.
7. Should we go for Immigration Lawyers?

Thank you guys and please help us if you know anything.
Old Dec 4th 2018, 11:26 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Married in the UK (or outside the UK?)

Since you weren't explicit I'll assuming you wish to marry and then live together in the UK.

1. You will need to return to Brazil in order to apply for a spouse or fiancee visa. You cannot change your status from within the UK if you were granted Leave to Enter as a visitor and you can only lodge your spouse or fiancee visa application from a country in which you are a legal resident. If your intention was to marry when you entered the UK then you will also need to leave in order to apply for a Marriage Visitor visa or fiancee visa if you wish to marry in the UK. Technically you don't need to do this if you decided to marry after you arrived in the UK and you can give notice and marry during this visit but the Home Office may decide to scrutinise your relationship further and so your notice period may be up to 70 days before you are allowed to marry. Keep this in mind when deciding your next step as they may not be enough time to give notice and marry before your current Leave to Enter expires.

2. This will depend on whether you wish to apply for a fiancee visa or not. You need to give notice of your intention to marry. If you apply now it'll cost £47 and may take 70 days before you are given permission to marry. If you have a Marriage Visitor or fiancee visa then should only take 28 days and cost £35.

3. This is up to you. Each option has its own advantages and disadvantages. Where do you want to get married? The UK? Brazil? Elsewhere? Not fussed?

4. You should not be under any illusion that spousal immigration to the UK is an expensive process. Regardless of where you marry you will need a spouse visa which costs US$2034 when applying from Brazil plus the £500 Immigration Health Surcharge (soon to be £1000).

5. It's likely then that you can meet the financial requirements. Has he been working for the same employer for the last six months?

6. Also good. Is this a house share?

7. Not unless you have a lot of money to spend.
Old Dec 4th 2018, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Since you weren't explicit I'll assuming you wish to marry and then live together in the UK.

1. You will need to return to Brazil in order to apply for a spouse or fiancee visa. You cannot change your status from within the UK if you were granted Leave to Enter as a visitor and you can only lodge your spouse or fiancee visa application from a country in which you are a legal resident. If your intention was to marry when you entered the UK then you will also need to leave in order to apply for a Marriage Visitor visa or fiancee visa if you wish to marry in the UK. Technically you don't need to do this if you decided to marry after you arrived in the UK and you can give notice and marry during this visit but the Home Office may decide to scrutinise your relationship further and so your notice period may be up to 70 days before you are allowed to marry. Keep this in mind when deciding your next step as they may not be enough time to give notice and marry before your current Leave to Enter expires.

2. This will depend on whether you wish to apply for a fiancee visa or not. You need to give notice of your intention to marry. If you apply now it'll cost £47 and may take 70 days before you are given permission to marry. If you have a Marriage Visitor or fiancee visa then should only take 28 days and cost £35.

3. This is up to you. Each option has its own advantages and disadvantages. Where do you want to get married? The UK? Brazil? Elsewhere? Not fussed?

4. You should not be under any illusion that spousal immigration to the UK is an expensive process. Regardless of where you marry you will need a spouse visa which costs US$2034 when applying from Brazil plus the £500 Immigration Health Surcharge (soon to be £1000).

5. It's likely then that you can meet the financial requirements. Has he been working for the same employer for the last six months?

6. Also good. Is this a house share?

7. Not unless you have a lot of money to spend.

Hi BritInParis! Thank you so much for the fast response, I really appreciate it.

Yes, we want to get marry and live together in the UK.

1. So, it sounds better to leave anyway instead of applying during this visit (this visit expires in January). And I have to apply from Brazil (Oh God...). Just to think of the time and money that will cost to go back to Brazil, and then come back to UK again.

3. We thought that it would be easier and faster to get married in the UK, now I am not so sure. But still it seems faster in the UK then in Brazil, but I wonder if I leave, I want to come back to get married but also to be able to work, I don't want my boyfriend to be the only one providing and working in this relationship. This option would be the fiancee visa, am I right?

4. Okay, so it will be expensive anyways, that's what you're saying?

5. Yes, same employer.

6. Not a house share, just the two of us.
Old Dec 4th 2018, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

Other question

I have to apply to come to get married, which is ok. This is a fiancee visa that lasts for 6 months, right? Within these 6 months, we have to get married. Am I allowed to work in this 6 months? If not, when I apply to extend (for 2.5 years) then I will be granted a new visa and this one will allow me to work, am I right? And can I apply as soon as I arrive/get married, or I need to wait for the 6 months to expire and then apply for the other one.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 12:05 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

1. Yes, I think that will be the case. If you are not worried about where you marry then consider eloping to a marriage friendly destination like Gibraltar. You can give notice and marry over the course of a weekend and you'll get a British style marriage certificate. You can then return to Brazil to start your spouse visa application and skip the expense of a Brazilian wedding or a fiancee visa.

2. MIA

3. If you go down the fiancee visa route then you'll need to pay $2083 followed by another £1033 for the spouse visa as soon as you marry. You cannot work whilst you are on a fiancee visa. You can only work once your spouse visa is granted. The only advantage is that it allows you to marry in the UK and then apply to stay. The alternative is flying back to Brazil, applying for a Marriage Visitor visa, flying back to the UK to marry and then back to Brazil to apply for a spouse visa followed by the final flight to the UK after your spouse visa is granted.

4. Yes. Expect to pay around £8000 to £10,000 over the next five years in order to become a British citizen.

5. Good.

6. Even better.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by JP93
Other question

I have to apply to come to get married, which is ok. This is a fiancee visa that lasts for 6 months, right? Within these 6 months, we have to get married. Am I allowed to work in this 6 months? If not, when I apply to extend (for 2.5 years) then I will be granted a new visa and this one will allow me to work, am I right? And can I apply as soon as I arrive/get married, or I need to wait for the 6 months to expire and then apply for the other one.
See answer 3. You can apply as soon as you are married. You can also pay an extra £610 to get a same day decision rather than waiting if you apply by post.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 12:28 am
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: Getting Married in the UK (or outside the UK?)

Originally Posted by BritInParis
1. Yes, I think that will be the case. If you are not worried about where you marry then consider eloping to a marriage friendly destination like Gibraltar. You can give notice and marry over the course of a weekend and you'll get a British style marriage certificate. You can then return to Brazil to start your spouse visa application and skip the expense of a Brazilian wedding or a fiancee visa.

2. MIA

3. If you go down the fiancee visa route then you'll need to pay $2083 followed by another £1033 for the spouse visa as soon as you marry. You cannot work whilst you are on a fiancee visa. You can only work once your spouse visa is granted. The only advantage is that it allows you to marry in the UK and then apply to stay. The alternative is flying back to Brazil, applying for a Marriage Visitor visa, flying back to the UK to marry and then back to Brazil to apply for a spouse visa followed by the final flight to the UK after your spouse visa is granted.

4. Yes. Expect to pay around £8000 to £10,000 over the next five years in order to become a British citizen.

5. Good.

6. Even better.
1. Oh well, this number 1 was VERY enlightening! Is this a thing? It sounds the cheapest one lol... Gilbratar, then back to Brazil, but then back to the UK with the spouse one which is the one that lasts 2.5 years to begin with and allows me to work? But, this one would take more time. Is that so? We keep thinking about the time apart from each other and obviously the costs, but this option seems cheaper than the fiancee route.

2. This one I jumped cause your first answer was enough, thank you.

3. If we choose the number 1, we don't need to go down the fiancee route, do we? And that alternative of flights (ugh) its more expensive than number 1 (Gilbratar), I am sure of that as a flight to Brazil/UK can costs more than 1500 (in brazilian currency). I want to cross out that loads of flights option.

So, I have to go back to Brazil 100% in any options. Fair enough, but if I go back to Brazil already married, then I would only need to apply to the spouse visa to get back and stay with him for once, and would also be able to work. This one sounds the best option.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 12:38 am

1. Yep. You'll be following in the footsteps of John Lennon and Yoko Ono. Here's the official information but if you Google 'getting married in Gibraltar' there's loads of agencies that can provide help you if you want it. The processing time for a spouse and fiancee visa from Brazil should be the same so once you factor in the 28 day notice period and the extra application needed to work if you go fiancee>spouse rather than just spouse then it'll be quicker overall.

2. You're welcome.

3. Correct. Marriage Visitor visa is the loads of flights option. Fiancee visa only needs one return flight but it is expensive. Eloping followed by spouse visa is best time and money wise.

4. Agreed.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for all your help BritInParis, you have no idea how much you helped us. Things are getting more clear and the Gibraltar option seems the best one, and the cheapest. But we still have a few doubts in the way...

Do you think any changes could happen to the whole "eloping" in Gibraltar after Brexit? Which is quite soon, I searched something about it but couldn't find anything, so hopefully nothing will change. So that means we should do it as soon as possible.

Also, do you think that after getting married in Gibraltar, will I have any issues if I come back to the UK with my boyfriend in another visitor visa, just to stay a little longer together, but I would have with me a ticket to Brasil. Which then, I would start my visa application from my home country.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 2:24 pm

Short of Spain invading Gibraltar nothing about Brexit will affect your ability to marry there. There are direct flights from the UK so it’s just a case of picking a date and maybe contacting an agency there to help you with the process.

If you have an onward ticket to Brazil leaving shortly after your return to the UK then you shouldn’t have a problem. What the Immigration Officer might do is give you Leave to Enter until the date of your flight rather than another full six months. If your current Leave to Enter expires in January then maybe aim to head to Gibraltar shortly after the New Year so you can return to Brazil on your current return ticket and get the ball rolling on the spouse visa.
Old Dec 8th 2018, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Ok.. I understand, good to know that. I actually contacted a few agencies. Thank you!

I have a question not really related to all of this, if you can help: If I leave the UK in January, spend 2 weeks in Portugal but then return to the UK on another visitor visa to see my boyfriend, BUT also have with me a ticket leaving the UK afterwards, do you think I will get any trouble? Probably will be swarmed with questions, right? I'll have with me his address, invitation letter, he can be outside to wait for me... lately its been really scary everything. That's why I'm wondering this.

Because we might just go to Gibraltar in March, get married and then I'll head to Brazil to start the spouse process, so we're looking for another option to stay together a little more, since I really have to leave in Jan, then I could come back and stay with him till March.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Please, can anyone help in one thing...

If I stay in the UK for the 6 months my visa allows me to, and then I leave but return after 1 month or less, am I going to have any issues to get in again? I was reading some scary things saying that I could be denied entry again if I stayed the whole first 6 months... ???? When I come back, I would have a ticket of leaving the UK with me of course, and I also have a place to stay.

Do you know anything about this???
Old Dec 13th 2018, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JP93
Please, can anyone help in one thing...

If I stay in the UK for the 6 months my visa allows me to, and then I leave but return after 1 month or less, am I going to have any issues to get in again? I was reading some scary things saying that I could be denied entry again if I stayed the whole first 6 months... ???? When I come back, I would have a ticket of leaving the UK with me of course, and I also have a place to stay.

Do you know anything about this???
Very likely to be refused entry as you are only allowed 6 months in any 12 months under any type of visitor status.