Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Getting married to american passport holder, moving her to UK. Not sure to do

Getting married to american passport holder, moving her to UK. Not sure to do

Old Jan 13th 2019, 8:56 am
Just Joined

visahelpneeded is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting married to american passport holder, moving her to UK. Not sure to do

Hey everyone, need some help which I am not getting clear information on.

I am a UK citizen. My fiance, soon to be wife in next weeks is American passport holder, currently resides in India.
We are getting married and we want to live together here in London, UK.

From my understanding this is the process and what I need, please someone advise if I'm correct or if something is missing somewhere:

1. Once we are married, and I have the legal marriage certificate, I go online to the GOV UK website to make the application for her. Me, as the UK citizen that is sponsoring her to come t the UK on a Spouse/Family VISA. In this moment of the application, I will also have to pay the online fee's.
What exact questions or things do I have to have prepared ready for this section?

2. After I have done the online application, and paid, apparently I have been told then I get a screen where I have to book for my wife there in India an appointment for the local VFS office there, and then she will have to go and do some fingerprint scan but does she take any documents? Or do I have to provide her with anything?

3. Then once 1 and 2 are done, apparently then I have to send in a dossier document to an address in UK (Sheffield) that will contain a statement from me, my past 6 months of wageslips. 6 months of bank statements, company letter, marriage certificate...and anything else? What is the actual checklist of things I have to provide?

-

I would really appreciate some advice here as I'm getting conflicting advice here.

Also as a note at the end, my initial idea was that she comes back to the UK after we are married on a normal tourist visa as she is an american citizen and can stay in the UK for 6 months and then we get married here in the UK and do the application from here but then a solicitor told me that it's safer and better that if your already married there in India to just declare from the beginning that your married and you want her residency rather then her coming as a tourist then doing it here.

Please advise guys
Old Jan 13th 2019, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

OSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married to american passport holder, moving her to UK. Not sure to d

Originally Posted by visahelpneeded
Hey everyone, need some help which I am not getting clear information on.

I am a UK citizen. My fiance, soon to be wife in next weeks is American passport holder, currently resides in India.
We are getting married and we want to live together here in London, UK.

From my understanding this is the process and what I need, please someone advise if I'm correct or if something is missing somewhere:

1. Once we are married, and I have the legal marriage certificate, I go online to the GOV UK website to make the application for her. Me, as the UK citizen that is sponsoring her to come t the UK on a Spouse/Family VISA. In this moment of the application, I will also have to pay the online fee's.
What exact questions or things do I have to have prepared ready for this section?

2. After I have done the online application, and paid, apparently I have been told then I get a screen where I have to book for my wife there in India an appointment for the local VFS office there, and then she will have to go and do some fingerprint scan but does she take any documents? Or do I have to provide her with anything?

3. Then once 1 and 2 are done, apparently then I have to send in a dossier document to an address in UK (Sheffield) that will contain a statement from me, my past 6 months of wageslips. 6 months of bank statements, company letter, marriage certificate...and anything else? What is the actual checklist of things I have to provide?

-

I would really appreciate some advice here as I'm getting conflicting advice here.

Also as a note at the end, my initial idea was that she comes back to the UK after we are married on a normal tourist visa as she is an american citizen and can stay in the UK for 6 months and then we get married here in the UK and do the application from here but then a solicitor told me that it's safer and better that if your already married there in India to just declare from the beginning that your married and you want her residency rather then her coming as a tourist then doing it here.

Please advise guys
Its your choice if you decide to get married in the UK. However she cannot switch from a tourist visa to a spouse visa while in the UK. She will need to return to the US or India if she is legally resident there.
The form is a basic visa application form. It asks for the applicant's passport details, previous passports and travel details, her parents names and the sponsors details. It is the Appendix 2 form that asks for more in-depth details like financial and relationships details.

Check https://www.migrate.org.uk/spouse-visa-uk-2018/
Old Jan 13th 2019, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Getting married to american passport holder, moving her to UK. Not sure to d

Ok then I think what makes sense so she doesn't have to back and forth is just make the application for her, while she is there then she can come hopefully, direct entry with a spouse visa so in long terms its just more flexlble.

Ok and Appendix 2 is form is done by me right? The person sponsoring her to come to the UK?

Is the order correct as what I wrote above?
Old Jan 13th 2019, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

OSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond repute

Ok then I think what makes sense so she doesn't have to back and forth is just make the application for her, while she is there then she can come hopefully, direct entry with a spouse visa so in long terms its just more flexlble.

Ok and Appendix 2 is form is done by me right? The person sponsoring her to come to the UK?

Is the order correct as what I wrote above?
Anyone can fill the forms TBH. As far as you have all the correct details. Appendix 2 asks for the sponsors income details and must be submitted along with the supporting documents .
Old Jan 13th 2019, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

I don't understand

Which part of this process is me doing it and which part is her?

In my first message, I gave the order that I thought it works - is that correct?
Old Jan 13th 2019, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

I don't understand

Which part of this process is me doing it and which part is her?

In my first message, I gave the order that I thought it works - is that correct?
Forms filled online can be done by either of you
Applicant goes for biometrics after submission online
Supporting documents sent off again by either of you. However that would depend on what obtains in in India (don't know if they have a scanning service or the applicant sends off to Sheffield)
Old Jan 13th 2019, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Ok great, and the part where she goes to the VFS office there in India, that's just for biometrics right? Or there is a form or something more that she will need for that?

I've been told by someone in legal position that I can come back to the UK, do the application and then send directly from here to the Sheffield address.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Ok great, and the part where she goes to the VFS office there in India, that's just for biometrics right? Or there is a form or something more that she will need for that?

I've been told by someone in legal position that I can come back to the UK, do the application and then send directly from here to the Sheffield address.
Do you live in India presently or are you there as a tourist? If you can get all your supporting documents across to India there would be no need returning to UK just for the sole purpose of sending directly toSheffield. Though you can return to put the supporting documents together if you wish and if you can afford it
Old Jan 13th 2019, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Yes I live in London. I'm going there next week for my wedding, wedding is on 24th then I return back on 28th.

I thought being in UK would be to do the submission of documents as anyways it has to go to a Sheffield address, that's what someone else told me. So they said you can do it when you come back here to UK
Old Jan 13th 2019, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I live in London. I'm going there next week for my wedding, wedding is on 24th then I return back on 28th.

I thought being in UK would be to do the submission of documents as anyways it has to go to a Sheffield address, that's what someone else told me. So they said you can do it when you come back here to UK
You're returning 4 days after the wedding. You can send from the UK