Getting family over to the UK

Old Apr 14th 2015, 6:16 pm
Work the problem

Marty90 has a reputation beyond reputeMarty90 has a reputation beyond reputeMarty90 has a reputation beyond reputeMarty90 has a reputation beyond reputeMarty90 has a reputation beyond reputeMarty90 has a reputation beyond reputeMarty90 has a reputation beyond reputeMarty90 has a reputation beyond reputeMarty90 has a reputation beyond reputeMarty90 has a reputation beyond reputeMarty90 has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Getting family over to the UK

Hi all,

My wife and 3 week old son are currently in the Philippines. I've been over there for a month earlier this year and would like them both to join me in the UK. I am aware that my wife requires a Spouse Visa and my son requires either a British passport OR a right of Abode stamp (we are applying for his Philippines passport next week).

Current processing times state "at least 16 weeks" for a British passport to be processed from overseas and the Spouse visa could take up to 3 months too. Because common documents are required for both, I am guessing they need to be done one after another.

Does anyone know if there is a quicker route for me to get them here?

Thanks so much in advance!
Old Apr 15th 2015, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

ruri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting family over to the UK

Originally Posted by Marty90
Hi all,

My wife and 3 week old son are currently in the Philippines. I've been over there for a month earlier this year and would like them both to join me in the UK. I am aware that my wife requires a Spouse Visa and my son requires either a British passport OR a right of Abode stamp (we are applying for his Philippines passport next week).

Current processing times state "at least 16 weeks" for a British passport to be processed from overseas and the Spouse visa could take up to 3 months too. Because common documents are required for both, I am guessing they need to be done one after another.

Does anyone know if there is a quicker route for me to get them here?

Thanks so much in advance!
I don't think there will be a quicker route if you are going to apply for the spouse visa.

I'm in the same situation but I'm from Malaysia. My daughter and I are currently in the UK at the moment as visitors and we going back soon to apply for her passport then a spouse visa for myself after that.

Since I would need common documents I know I will have to apply them one after another.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 10:19 am
Work the problem

Marty90 has a reputation beyond reputeMarty90 has a reputation beyond reputeMarty90 has a reputation beyond reputeMarty90 has a reputation beyond reputeMarty90 has a reputation beyond reputeMarty90 has a reputation beyond reputeMarty90 has a reputation beyond reputeMarty90 has a reputation beyond reputeMarty90 has a reputation beyond reputeMarty90 has a reputation beyond reputeMarty90 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I think you are right ruri.

The Right of Abode certificate looks like it may take up to 6 months and cost more too anyway. I will just have to do it the way I suggested then.

Best of luck with your application too!
Old Apr 15th 2015, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Yeah I think you are right ruri.

The Right of Abode certificate looks like it may take up to 6 months and cost more too anyway. I will just have to do it the way I suggested then.

Best of luck with your application too!
Thanks! since my daughter can keep both passports I thought I would just go straight for the passport.

I hope it will not take many months to get both done as this will be the first time my husband not being with our daughter. She is now 16 months old and we have lived together everyday since she was born.

I know it's depressing him a little but at least we've now meet all the requirements needed in order to apply for the spouse visa...... after a loooong years of being together
Old Apr 15th 2015, 12:58 pm
Work the problem

Be very careful - Malaysia does NOT recognise dual citizenship under its nationality law. Which makes not a lot of sense considering that Malaysia is such a diverse country. This may lead to complications if you intend to take your daughter back there. I don't know the exact rules on that - so may be worth looking that up!

But I understand your worries because I think it is very clear that we are in a similar situation. Yes the Spouse visa is a tough one to qualify for. But thank goodness we also have all of the requirements.

I have never seen my son - I couldn't make it over to the Philippines in time for his birth. But that is the project now - getting them both over to the UK!
Old Apr 15th 2015, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Be very careful - Malaysia does NOT recognise dual citizenship under its nationality law. Which makes not a lot of sense considering that Malaysia is such a diverse country. This may lead to complications if you intend to take your daughter back there. I don't know the exact rules on that - so may be worth looking that up!

But I understand your worries because I think it is very clear that we are in a similar situation. Yes the Spouse visa is a tough one to qualify for. But thank goodness we also have all of the requirements.

I have never seen my son - I couldn't make it over to the Philippines in time for his birth. But that is the project now - getting them both over to the UK!
Well apparently my daughter can keep both citizenships until she's 21 then she'll have to choose one after that. That was the advice I got from the Malaysian Embassy in UK and the HMPO has confirmed that too.

I hope whatever they are telling us is the definite answer
Old Apr 15th 2015, 11:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Obtaining a consular birth certificate for your son may be another option to consider given that the Philippines is considered a high risk country for passport applications.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth
Old Apr 15th 2015, 11:44 pm
Work the problem

Yes I did look at getting one of those too. But the application form did say that it is recommended that you apply for a British Passport first.

Sorry what do you mean by high risk?
Old Apr 15th 2015, 11:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I did look at getting one of those too. But the application form did say that it is recommended that you apply for a British Passport first.
HMG is looking to do away with the whole system as an unnecessary expense. If tells people not to bother then people won't and then they can say it's underused and should be closed. It is however a worthwhile investment as it will give your son permanent and easily replaceable evidence of his British citizenship which you can use to obtain a passport without any further supporting documents. Useful if you require these for your wife's spouse visa.

Sorry what do you mean by high risk?
A high risk of fraud. This is why it will take many months more and be a much more involved process to obtain a British passport for someone born in the Philippines than say, France, or the United States.

Last edited by BritInParis; Apr 15th 2015 at 11:58 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Apr 15th 2015, 11:55 pm
Work the problem

Do you know how long the consular birth certificate takes to process? And I am guessing that if my son has one these, we won't need to submit our passports with his passport application?

Ah I understand what you are saying yes. We shall see - you can only give them what they ask for!
Old Apr 16th 2015, 12:02 am

Do you know how long the consular birth certificate takes to process? And I am guessing that if my son has one these, we won't need to submit our passports with his passport application?
The service standard is supposedly five working days. I suspect it will take longer than that but not as long as it would be to obtain a British passport for your son.

Ah I understand what you are saying yes. We shall see - you can only give them what they ask for!
Correct. A consular birth certificate replaces the need to send any of the parental documents listed in Table C which includes the parents' passports at the time of conception.

If the birth certificate you provide has not been issued by a British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate showing parents’ details, also provide evidence as shown in the table below:
Old Apr 16th 2015, 12:12 am
Work the problem

Thanks. I will definitely discuss this with my lady.

Evidence list is pretty exhaustive -

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth/.../yes/in_the_uk
Old Apr 16th 2015, 12:17 am

Thanks. I will definitely discuss this with my lady.

Evidence list is pretty exhaustive -

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth/.../yes/in_the_uk
You will need all that for the passport application if you don't have a consular birth certificate. Good luck
Old Apr 16th 2015, 12:20 am
Work the problem

Lol. I know. I am trying to ill-fatedly weasel my way out of paying more money Thanks for your help anyway! It was very useful advice.