gaining Aus citizenship before moving back

Old Aug 24th 2008, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

sylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the rough
Default gaining Aus citizenship before moving back

hi

we are hoping to move back to the UK from australia after we get citizenship. We have been here almost a year and my DH always said we would move back if I wasn't happy but as long as we got citizenship.

another year sounds like a long time. I just wanted to know if other people did this and if they thought it was worth getting it... We have an 18 month old son - so it would be another option for him when he is older..

be interested to hear other people who have done this..

Old Aug 24th 2008, 6:04 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gaining Aus citizenship before moving back

Originally Posted by sylvesterthecat
hi

we are hoping to move back to the UK from australia after we get citizenship. We have been here almost a year and my DH always said we would move back if I wasn't happy but as long as we got citizenship.

another year sounds like a long time. I just wanted to know if other people did this and if they thought it was worth getting it... We have an 18 month old son - so it would be another option for him when he is older..

I think you have to wait four years before you can gain citizenship now, but someone will be along to soon to confirm or negate that. If you want to return to the UK seriously though, waiting that long when you are unhappy just for your son who is only 18 months old, seems a little daft to me.

I also read somewhere that if you gain citizenship of Australia but move out of the country for X amount of years, then getting back in isn't as straight forward as one might think, but I could be wrong there too.

Sorry I can't be of much help.

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Aug 24th 2008 at 6:19 am.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 6:13 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

hi

SGG is right. If you validated your visa after July 2007 then you now have to wait 4 years to gain citizenship.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 6:19 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
SGG is right. If you validated your visa after July 2007 then you now have to wait 4 years to gain citizenship.
Phew, and I was only ever right once before. Ta C.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

hi

Why would you want citizenship for a country you are leaving because you do not like it.?
Old Aug 24th 2008, 6:54 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raven
Why would you want citizenship for a country you are leaving because you do not like it.?
Presumably by the same token people who slag off the UK should be expected to renounce their citizenship
Old Aug 24th 2008, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

I am sure JAJ will be along presently to confirm this, but not only will you be waiting another 3 years, but if you are a citizen all your superannuation has to stay here in Aus, you can't roll over to a UK fund or bring it back to the UK until you are over retirement age - anyone confirm this? Maybe after a year this is not a factor but in 4 years that is a fair chunk of your Aus income, that could have been paying off your mortgage in the UK where you actually want to live.

And I am not slagging you off but I am always puzzled when people who don't like it here want the citizenship, have seen stacks of posts on this, and I just don't get it, so I am agreeing with northerbird. Why set yourself up for a pingpong, too painful and costly financially and emotionally IMO.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

hi

Hi as STGG said it is hard staying somewhere when you are unhappy.
please remember it takes about 2 1/2 years to get the cit-ship .

We agreed to get Cit-ship then we would go home, which has been a real struggle for me mentally,I have been so unhappy at times .

Now my OH does not want to leave, but I still do, and he is having trouble finding a job back home, so it is not a happy house

If you can stick it out then go for it, but if you are really unhappy you need to weigh up what is more important.

Sandra
Old Aug 24th 2008, 10:41 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by islandergirl
I am sure JAJ will be along presently to confirm this, but not only will you be waiting another 3 years, but if you are a citizen all your superannuation has to stay here in Aus, you can't roll over to a UK fund or bring it back to the UK until you are over retirement age - anyone confirm this? Maybe after a year this is not a factor but in 4 years that is a fair chunk of your Aus income, that could have been paying off your mortgage in the UK where you actually want to live.

And I am not slagging you off but I am always puzzled when people who don't like it here want the citizenship, have seen stacks of posts on this, and I just don't get it, so I am agreeing with northerbird. Why set yourself up for a pingpong, too painful and costly financially and emotionally IMO.
Even as a PR your super has to stay in Australia. Only temp visa holders are entitled to a super refund when they leave.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 11:08 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by islandergirl
but if you are a citizen all your superannuation has to stay here in Aus, you can't roll over to a UK fund or bring it back to the UK until you are over retirement age - anyone confirm this? .
Even as a PR your super has to stay in Australia. Only temp visa holders are entitled to a super refund when they leave.
You can take your super out of Australia, because my OH is doing this. He's a citizen and has been in Oz for 4 years. He's using a company called Superannuation Recall Consultants, if you want their detials PM me.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 1:33 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by TraceyW
You can take your super out of Australia, because my OH is doing this. He's a citizen and has been in Oz for 4 years. He's using a company called Superannuation Recall Consultants, if you want their detials PM me.
I stand corrected Tracey, I genuinely didn't think you could
Old Aug 24th 2008, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

sylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the rough

hi
thanks for the responses..

we became PR's before 1 July 07 therefore would only be 2 yrs for citizenship, thankfully.. and the reason for getting this would as I said, be to give our child choices when he is older.. there's no way I would wait another 3 yrs..

It's actually not a big deal for me, I can see the logic there its more what my DH wants, who currently holds SA and British c/ship.. I think he has a c/ship fetish.. (joke)

we did contemplate moving to another state but to be honest I don't think it would make much difference..

interesting to know about the super though.. will investigate more on this..

thanks all
Old Aug 24th 2008, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

2 years eh?

IMO that is almost 2 years of living in limbo land with your life on hold when you could be making inroads back into your life in the UK, there is no medals given out for suffering in this life...do you think your little boy will thank you in 18 years time (if he wants to come to Aus he can surely do the WHV thing like all the other students).

Depends how much you hate it here, and how damaging the experience is to you and your relationship, and only you know the answer to that one.

If you are crying every day and need sleeping pills and anti-depressants just to function then don't hang around. If you just think it's a bit boring and the telly and supermarkets are crap but otherwise don't mind it then maybe it's a spec to stay a bit longer.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 11:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I stand corrected Tracey, I genuinely didn't think you could
Actually I thought it had to stay here too, thats been asked often before and I'm sure people have always said it has to stay if you are PR.I ought to try and remember it for future questioners.....
Old Aug 24th 2008, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TraceyW
gosh tracey that would be fab, i always thought it had to stay here if you were p.r or citizen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.