Future plans

Old Feb 16th 2019, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Aspiring_fiancee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Future plans

Hi, I’m new here so I don’t know if this has been covered.
I’m in a LDR and we’re planning our next steps. We’re planning to get married in Mexico (to be fair to both of our families) then living in the USA where I (the “alien”) would convert with the CR-1. I understand this would grant us 2.5 years in the same country where we can enjoy being newlyweds.

I’m not saying this is what’s going to happen exactly. I don’t know what’s going to happen. This is just a potential idea that my potential spouse and I have thrown in the air.

I have to think about employment as well as.

I haven’t seen any answers to my question online, so here it goes: If we decide to go back to the UK after the CR-1 would I be able to with my spouse?
Old Feb 16th 2019, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Bingbing25 will become famous soon enoughBingbing25 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Future plans

OK I had to look up what 'LDR' and 'CR-1' were. It doesn't make a difference what visa you have. Your partner will have to apply for the spouse visa according to the rules. Have a look at the guidelines published on UK Gov website. If you have specific questions I'm sure people can help, but I don't know what more can be said about your question now. Congratulations on your marriage.
Old Feb 17th 2019, 2:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You realise, don't you (but I am guessing not) that you don't need 2.5 years living together for your husband to apply for a spouse visa to live in the UK? All you need is a marriage certificate, the necessary income level (which you currently have, but wouldn't if you left and went to live outside the UK, unless you were allowed to work remotely), and certain supportig evidence. And to your final question, in most cases the practicalities of return to the UK likely mean a period apart unless you have substantial cash savings, as you, the British citizen, would propably need to return to the UK to obtain a job and hold it for six months before applying for a visa for your husband.

My wife, a USC, obtained her spouse visa just a month after we got married, and virtually no time "living together" either before or after we married. We had also been in an "LDR" and had only spent about seven weeks actually "face-to-face" before we got married, of which one was the week before we married, and another two were at Christmas less than two months before we married, spent making final preparations, and obtainin our marriage license. We got married in Virginia, where my wife is from.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 17th 2019 at 2:57 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2019, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bingbing25
OK I had to look up what 'LDR' and 'CR-1' were. It doesn't make a difference what visa you have. Your partner will have to apply for the spouse visa according to the rules. Have a look at the guidelines published on UK Gov website. If you have specific questions I'm sure people can help, but I don't know what more can be said about your question now. Congratulations on your marriage.
Apologies for making you search up acronyms! I should have just typed them up. You’re right...I’m just overanalysing everything. Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 17th 2019, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You realise, don't you (but I am guessing not) that you don't need 2.5 years living together for your husband to apply for a spouse visa to live in the UK? All you need is a marriage certificate, the necessary income level (which you currently have, but wouldn't if you left and went to live outside the UK, unless you were allowed to work remotely), and certain supportig evidence. And to your final question, in most cases the practicalities of return to the UK likely mean a period apart unless you have substantial cash savings, as you, the British citizen, would propably need to return to the UK to obtain a job and hold it for six months before applying for a visa for your husband.

My wife, a USC, obtained her spouse visa just a month after we got married, and virtually no time "living together" either before or after we married. We had also been in an "LDR" and had only spent about seven weeks actually "face-to-face" before we got married, of which one was the week before we married, and another two were at Christmas less than two months before we married, spent making final preparations, and obtainin our marriage license. We got married in Virginia, where my wife is from.
I understand that. I was saying that the CR-1 - which is for couples who’ve been married for less than 2 years, if approved allows the foreign spouse i.e. me conditional residency in the US for 2 years. (I know I originally stated 2.5 but I was mistaken) I want to see how the other half lives but ultimately I want to settle in the UK as well as him.

90 days before that I have to either remove the conditions through form I-751 or let it expire and go back to my birth country (UK) as a 2 year green card can’t be renewed.

I was originally asking, if my spouse and I decide after getting married and after spending 2 years together in the states that we want to start our family in the UK, if it’s as complicated as I’m making out in my head. But alas, I am making it complicated as you’ve made it clear that I either need to have the equivalent cash savings or start over job wise in the UK for a minimum of 6 months to start the application process for him to settle in the UK.

Don't mind me, I have a habit of making things more complicated when they’re just complicated. And small world, he was born in Virginia! Hope you and your wife are well and apologies if there was any confusions from my end!
Old Feb 17th 2019, 4:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You’d need to have been working in the US for at least six months earning at least £18,600 with a job offer in the UK starting within three months of your proposed return also paying at least £18,600. Your fiancé doesn’t have an Irish grandparent by any chance?
Old Feb 17th 2019, 4:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so yeah, you're making things a bit more complicated for sure, by creating a two step process from two processes that aren't designed to be blended. It'd be a bit like going to uni to study economics with a plan from the outset to switch after two years to the engineering program.

Honestly, if your obtain a CR-1 (which incidentally will take about a year after you get married, though you can visit the US during that time), you might as well stay for five years and get US citizenship, which would give you the permanent right to come back to live in the US whenever you want.

And whereabouts in Virginia? Mrs P is from the SW corner, west of Roanoke.

Oh, and I'd skip trying to be "fair" to families. You're likely to irritate at least a few people on one or other side of the family sooner or later no matter where you choose to live, assuming you decide to make your lives together.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 17th 2019 at 4:38 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2019, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You’d need to have been working in the US for at least six months earning at least £18,600 with a job offer in the UK starting within three months of your proposed return also paying at least £18,600. Your fiancé doesn’t have an Irish grandparent by any chance?
That makes sense, thank you for your comment! And no he doesn’t. How’s Paris for you?
Old Feb 18th 2019, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

OK, so yeah, you're making things a bit more complicated for sure, by creating a two step process from two processes that aren't designed to be blended. It'd be a bit like going to uni to study economics with a plan from the outset to switch after two years to the engineering program.

Honestly, if your obtain a CR-1 (which incidentally will take about a year after you get married, though you can visit the US during that time), you might as well stay for five years and get US citizenship, which would give you the permanent right to come back to live in the US whenever you want.

And whereabouts in Virginia? Mrs P is from the SW corner, west of Roanoke.

Oh, and I'd skip trying to be "fair" to families. You're likely to irritate at least a few people on one or other side of the family sooner or later no matter where you choose to live, assuming you decide to make your lives together.
That makes sense! Thank you for your comments! I’ve learnt a lot.

I might as as well if I go through the CR-1 process. Somehow we always end up changing our minds and might just get married and move to the UK straight away...who knows? Nothing’s set in stone as of yet!

He got discharged from the hospital then his mother moved back to NJ about a week later to be with her siblings. So in short, I’ve got no idea :/ (and he doesn’t either, he’s a bit forgetful)

We were debating on where to get married. I was saying UK because he wanted to settle there and he was initially saying UK as well. Then we decided USA. Then somehow he was trying to be fair in getting married in Mexico because then both families would have to travel. And I said the exact same thing you’ve mentioned: it doesn’t matter because at least one person is not going to like it and I said I don’t care to be fair to our families because I want us to be fair to eachother. I was researching that the ceremony would be in Spanish and he and I only know Spanish on a basic level...so we’re going to debate on destination yet again. But healthy discussion is good.

Hope you and Mrs P are well!
Old Feb 18th 2019, 10:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aspiring_fiancee
That makes sense, thank you for your comment! And no he doesn’t. How’s Paris for you?
You’re welcome - Paris has long been in my rear view mirror but thank you for asking
Old Feb 24th 2019, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Just a quick update:
We have decided to go ahead with the UK settled person visa. It just made more sense considering he wants to settle over here.

I’m starting a new job in March so there’s a bit of a wait until we can officially apply and I’m looking for an immigration adviser to help with the process. (I also have to look for places to rent & go to some viewings while he’s here to visit. I’ll go to some by myself)

We we want to do a registry wedding in the UK and a full blown out ceremony in Mexico.

I’m not even engaged yet...just engaged in my head. Lol
Old Feb 24th 2019, 8:34 pm

Just a quick update:
We have decided to go ahead with the UK settled person visa. It just made more sense considering he wants to settle over here.

I’m starting a new job in March so there’s a bit of a wait until we can officially apply and I’m looking for an immigration adviser to help with the process. (I also have to look for places to rent & go to some viewings while he’s here to visit. I’ll go to some by myself)

We we want to do a registry wedding in the UK and a full blown out ceremony in Mexico.

I’m not even engaged yet...just engaged in my head. .....

What do you hope an "immigration advisor", can do for you, other than relieve you of around fifteen hundred quid?
​​​​​​
So long as you can read and write English, and your fiancee doesn't have complicating factors such as a drug habit or criminal record, you can complete the visa application process quite easily yourselves. And here on BE we are more than happy to help you with any questions you may have.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 24th 2019 at 8:37 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2019, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

What do you hope an "immigration advisor", can do for you, other than relieve you of around fifteen hundred quid?
​​​​​​
So long as you can read and write English, and your fiancee doesn't have complicating factors such as a drug habit or criminal record, you can complete the visa application process quite easily yourselves. And here on BE we are more than happy to help you with any questions you may have.
He may or may not have something on his record. I would need to ask if it’s been expunged. I’ve been scared about being rejected so I thought why not? But I think most of the requirements I’ve got covered (with supporting evidence) except the 6 months minimum job earning £18,600 or more, wedding date (booking confirmation of church or in my case registry office, hall - probably going to have my mum and I cook in advance) and a place to live.

And thanks for offering help...I’m going to need it!
Old Feb 24th 2019, 9:15 pm

He may or may not have something on his record. I would need to ask if it’s been expunged. I’ve been scared about being rejected so I thought why not? But I think most of the requirements I’ve got covered (with supporting evidence) except the 6 months minimum job earning £18,600 or more, wedding date (booking confirmation of church or in my case registry office, hall - probably going to have my mum and I cook in advance) and a place to live.

And thanks for offering help...I’m going to need it!
A criminal record won’t necessarily derail his chances. It would depend on what sentence he received. If he doesn’t meet the requirements then there’s little an immigration advisor can do to help.
Old Feb 24th 2019, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
A criminal record won’t necessarily derail his chances. It would depend on what sentence he received. If he doesn’t meet the requirements then there’s little an immigration advisor can do to help.
Thank you for your help! Again!