Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Fulfilling the accommodation required? - Overseas Sponsor

Fulfilling the accommodation required? - Overseas Sponsor

Old Nov 28th 2016, 9:45 am
Just Joined

DandyJapan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fulfilling the accommodation required? - Overseas Sponsor

Okay, so I'm very very confused by the accommodation requirement.

My wife and I live in Japan, we want to move back together.

All estate agents in the UK won't provide me with any of the required documents unless I'm psychically in the UK and living in the property.

My mother is willing to have us, but she is council renting. So i have NO idea what she needs to provide as she apparently has no tenancy agreement with the council... Or so I'm told.

Does anyone know what I have to provide from my mother to validate accommodation?

The house is perfectly capable of housing my wife and I, it has a spare room. We'll be there for a week max.

This is the only thing I have left to complete. Everything else I have the boxes checked.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fulfilling the accommodation required? - Overseas Sponsor

Originally Posted by DandyJapan
Okay, so I'm very very confused by the accommodation requirement.

My wife and I live in Japan, we want to move back together.

All estate agents in the UK won't provide me with any of the required documents unless I'm psychically in the UK and living in the property.

My mother is willing to have us, but she is council renting. So i have NO idea what she needs to provide as she apparently has no tenancy agreement with the council... Or so I'm told.

Does anyone know what I have to provide from my mother to validate accommodation?

The house is perfectly capable of housing my wife and I, it has a spare room. We'll be there for a week max.

This is the only thing I have left to complete. Everything else I have the boxes checked.
when you say the estate agents will not supply you with required documents which ones do you mean?

you will need the visa in your wife's passport/ proof of her spouse visa to rent on a long let as landlords need to run right to rent checks- but you have 30 days from booking a property to provide this I think

however right to rent checks does not apply to holiday lettings... which can be up to 3 months and in some cases more.

your mother must write a letter confirming you can stay with her whilst you look for permanent accommodation. Does she have a rent book or something like that from the council? Council tax bill? She will have something or they will.

Then you need to show that the property can accommodate your and your wife spacewise ( i.e the second bedroom). sometimes an inspection report is required -maybe someone else on the forum can point you where to get that. or provide photos and a floorplan.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by angie_329
when you say the estate agents will not supply you with required documents which ones do you mean?
Until I'm in the property, they won't provide tenancy agreements and such documentation.

you will need the visa in your wife's passport/ proof of her spouse visa to rent on a long let as landlords need to run right to rent checks- but you have 30 days from booking a property to provide this I think
But it's getting the visa in the interim that seems to be the issue.

your mother must write a letter confirming you can stay with her whilst you look for permanent accommodation. Does she have a rent book or something like that from the council? Council tax bill? She will have something or they will.

Then you need to show that the property can accommodate your and your wife spacewise ( i.e the second bedroom). sometimes an inspection report is required -maybe someone else on the forum can point you where to get that. or provide photos and a floorplan.
We can definitely get these, its just the documentation implies I have to have certain documents which seem unattainable overseas.

I guess I'll just go with your recommendations and send them this and hope for the best.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Until I'm in the property, they won't provide tenancy agreements and such documentation.

But it's getting the visa in the interim that seems to be the issue.

We can definitely get these, its just the documentation implies I have to have certain documents which seem unattainable overseas.

I guess I'll just go with your recommendations and send them this and hope for the best.
Try and get some official confirmation from the council re your mother living at the property .... and the size/ number of bedrooms.

agents can provide draft tenancy agreements. normally an actual one ( for that property and term agreed) woudl be supplied after credit checks etc . and you are eligible to sign the contract.

if you rent in Japan get a landlord's reference this will help a future let in UK.

Staying with your mother is the easiest option to start with. the main issue they look at is the financial qualifying amount either savings or the salary route.

if you want to double check some visa agents will do a pre submission check of the documents for a fee.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Try and get some official confirmation from the council re your mother living at the property .... and the size/ number of bedrooms.

agents can provide draft tenancy agreements. normally an actual one ( for that property and term agreed) would be supplied after credit checks etc . and you are eligible to sign the contract.

if you rent in Japan get a landlord's reference this will help a future let in UK.

Staying with your mother is the easiest option to start with. the main issue they look at is the financial qualifying amount either savings or the salary route.

if you want to double check some visa agents will do a pre submission check of the documents for a fee.
I'm definitely above the financial side of things, so I should be fine with this!

We're getting some letters from my mother and the council, additionally we'll get a picture of the room that my wife and I will be staying in.

I think this should be sufficient for the interim.

Landlord references aren't a thing in Japan unfortunately. However, I'll be getting an agency letter that shows we live together and that we've been "Pleasant" occupiers.

I'll see if we can find an agent in Japan that can do this, as it would help a ton to feel happy with what we have.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm definitely above the financial side of things, so I should be fine with this!

We're getting some letters from my mother and the council, additionally we'll get a picture of the room that my wife and I will be staying in.

I think this should be sufficient for the interim.

Landlord references aren't a thing in Japan unfortunately. However, I'll be getting an agency letter that shows we live together and that we've been "Pleasant" occupiers.

I'll see if we can find an agent in Japan that can do this, as it would help a ton to feel happy with what we have.
It sounds like you have a strong application.
The agency letter will help for future rentals. Register on the electoral register if you have been away a long time when you return. you can change the address later.

you could use visa agents checking service in the UK if you cannot find one in Japan, just need to scan paperwork probably, or upload to their client areas.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

PS I think there is the option of paying extra and doing the priority which speeds things up if you need that.
found this thread on another forum ... re application from Japan.. it is almost 2years old though so procedures may have changed in the meantime.
VFS Tokyo experience - spouse visa success!