French national eligible via British by descent?

Old Mar 12th 2018, 4:06 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French national eligible via British by descent?

Originally Posted by marcello01 View Post
Hello again,

I am on the cusp of sending the application for BC. It's been a snail-like gathering of documents required and I thought I had everything until I noticed that, together with my mother's birth certificate, I need to send her expired citizen of the UK and Colonies passport. I don't have this as she died in 2008. I do have a copy of her death certificate and could send for a full original (as per her birth certificate). Would this be acceptable?

Many thanks
If you don't have it, you don't have it. Send your mother's full original birth, death and marriage certificates.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

marcello01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again BIP - I've just sent off for the death and marriage certificates. I'll be back with, hopefully, an update with an acknowledgement of receipt from Liverpool.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Hello again,

I'm writing with an update in case this thread is of interest to anyone in a similar situation.

I have finally sent off a complete package to Liverpool for my British Citizenship application. This happened yesterday and was celebrated with a cappuccino and chocolate brownie. In retrospect, this should have been a cup of tea and a slice of cake.

I had trouble obtaining my parents' marriage certificate, hence the delay. My parents were married twice. Once at the British Embassy church in Paris which has since been demolished and, I think, rebuilt. I first applied for a copy of this certificate at GRO here in England but no luck and they directed me to the British Embassy in Paris. I've yet to hear back from them.

My parents were also married in the town where they lived (in France,). I tried to get a copy of that certificate at the local town hall but the online system would not accept the details I entered. I was about to write to them when my brother happened to find the original in his paperwork which he'd stored after my mother's death. Such luck. He'd forgotten he had it.

The one thing I've learned from this process is to collect every official and original certificate and statement that comes your way (concerning your and your family's identities) and keep it safely and try to remember where you've stored it. Births, deaths, marriages, immigration etc. Added to which, read and re-read the application form many times. I thought I'd taken great care over this but not so. Mysteriously, every time I checked to make sure I had everything I needed, I'd find something I'd overlooked.

I'd like to thank, again, everyone who has helped me on this forum. I really don't think I could have reached this stage without you.

I'll post again with any news.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 3:32 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again,

I'm writing with an update in case this thread is of interest to anyone in a similar situation.

I have finally sent off a complete package to Liverpool for my British Citizenship application. This happened yesterday and was celebrated with a cappuccino and chocolate brownie. In retrospect, this should have been a cup of tea and a slice of cake.

I had trouble obtaining my parents' marriage certificate, hence the delay. My parents were married twice. Once at the British Embassy church in Paris which has since been demolished and, I think, rebuilt. I first applied for a copy of this certificate at GRO here in England but no luck and they directed me to the British Embassy in Paris. I've yet to hear back from them.

My parents were also married in the town where they lived (in France,). I tried to get a copy of that certificate at the local town hall but the online system would not accept the details I entered. I was about to write to them when my brother happened to find the original in his paperwork which he'd stored after my mother's death. Such luck. He'd forgotten he had it.

The one thing I've learned from this process is to collect every official and original certificate and statement that comes your way (concerning your and your family's identities) and keep it safely and try to remember where you've stored it. Births, deaths, marriages, immigration etc. Added to which, read and re-read the application form many times. I thought I'd taken great care over this but not so. Mysteriously, every time I checked to make sure I had everything I needed, I'd find something I'd overlooked.

I'd like to thank, again, everyone who has helped me on this forum. I really don't think I could have reached this stage without you.

I'll post again with any news.
Glad to hear you have made progress. Let us know the final result.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Will do. Thanks, BIP.
Old May 22nd 2018, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

Hello again,
A minor update to say that today I received a confirmation email of receipt of my documents from UK Visas and Immigration which is only one day over the four week timescale mentioned on the Gov.UK website. I've also been given a case number.
The email states that "It may take up to six months to make a decision on your case" which is what the website also tells us.
I'll post further developments.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Update - three days after the confirmation email described above I received a letter from the Home Office asking me to have my biometrics done.
This entailed a trip to the nearest post office that has the equipment to do the biometrics - essentially, a photo booth which can take your fingerprints and picture in digital form.
Not all post offices have this facility.
And it's a matter of queuing up at the counter services and being directed to the booth and put through the process with the friendly post office person. Best to go midweek, if possible, when it's less busy - especially if it involves a train or car journey out of town.
My experience was seamless and quick.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 3:03 pm

Update - three days after the confirmation email described above I received a letter from the Home Office asking me to have my biometrics done.
This entailed a trip to the nearest post office that has the equipment to do the biometrics - essentially, a photo booth which can take your fingerprints and picture in digital form.
Not all post offices have this facility.
And it's a matter of queuing up at the counter services and being directed to the booth and put through the process with the friendly post office person. Best to go midweek, if possible, when it's less busy - especially if it involves a train or car journey out of town.
My experience was seamless and quick.
Things are moving on nicely it seems. Hoping for a positive result in the near future.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, BIP - me too
Old Aug 26th 2018, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Update - yesterday the postman handed me a package from the Home Office returning all my documents together with a letter confirming that my application (received by the HO four months ago) has been successful. Another letter will be sent within the next three weeks inviting me to attend a citizenship ceremony. I wish I could thank whoever processed my details in Liverpool as I'm very grateful for their work on my behalf. At least I can thank you who gave me such clear and invaluable help on this forum.
I'll post again after the ceremony.
Old Aug 26th 2018, 8:56 am

Thanks for coming back to keep us updated. A very useful timeline for anyone in the same situation.
Old Oct 24th 2018, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

My final update...
Further to my last post I received, through the post, an invitation to attend the citizenship ceremony. A telephone number was given which allowed me to make an appointment for the event at my local town hall and this took place yesterday.
I was one of twenty who made an allegiance (individually) and a pledge (altogether) to the Queen. We also sang one verse of the National Anthem and, finally, each received a certificate confirming that we had become British subjects. We were also invited to have tea and home-made cakes organised by the Mothers' Union which I didn't realise still existed. I can now register to vote and apply for a passport. The ceremony took just over an hour and was extraordinary, moving and a little like being back at school.
The process from sending the documents to attending the ceremony has taken just over six months.
Thank you again to those who have helped me.
Old Oct 24th 2018, 8:39 pm

Excellent news. Very pleased it proved to be relatively straightforward for you. Thank you again for returning to give us a running commentary on the process.