French national eligible via British by descent?

Old Jan 3rd 2018, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

marcello01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default French national eligible via British by descent?

Hello,

I have studied the Home Office Guide UKM but I'm still unclear if I’m eligible to become a British citizen by descent.

These are the facts;

I was born in 1958 in Paris, France. My birth was registered in France. I have a valid French/EU passport.

My parents were married at my time of birth. They lived/worked in France

My mother, deceased, was British, born in Hertfordshire in 1924. She held a British passport until her death.

My mother's parents were born in Wales and England respectively. They were married when my mother was born.

My father, deceased, was Italian, born in Turin. He held an Italian passport until his death

My father's parents were Italian.

I lived in France until I came to school in England at the age of ten, followed by four years of studies also in England. I have lived and worked in the UK since 1981 when I graduated.

I have a National Insurance number. I am up to date with my tax and NI payments. I have no criminal record or convictions.

Am I eligible?

Many thanks in advance for any responses
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French national eligible via British by descent?

I think you’re eligible to register for British Citizenship, which is (I believe) simpler than naturalisation (for which you’re also eligible).

https://www.gov.uk/register-british-citizen - see the section on Born before 1983 to a British mother.

I don’t think you qualify automatically as British by descent.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 9:59 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You are eligible to register for British citizenship using Form UKM. You'll need your full birth certificate (a multilingual version, also known as a Formule A, is available free of charge from this website) and your mother's full birth certificate. If you do not have your mother's full birth certificate, or would prefer to keep hold of the existing copy, then you can order a new certified copy online from the General Register Office for £9.25.

The UKM application itself is free but you'll need to attend a citizenship ceremony which attracts a £80 fee. Since you are living in the UK this will be held at your local council offices. You'll be given your registration certificate at your ceremony after which you will be able to apply for your first British passport.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Thank you both, Shirtback and BritInParis, for your responses which are so helpful to me and hopefully others. May I please ask for further help and clarification...

Scrutinising the UKM form I'm unsure what items 1.22, 1.30, 1.34 mean at this bit..."State how your mother/grandfather/grandmother acquired citizenship of the UK and Colonies." If all 3 were born in the UK was citizenship not given automatically? Is it sufficient to write "Born in the UK" in the box?

I'm also unclear about item 1.35.

I was going back and forth between UK/France, where my parents lived, from the age of 10 to 16 when I started college. I don't have any paperwork giving residence or indefinite leave to enter or remain in the UK. However, is this item not relevant, as stated in the UKM guide, pg 8, "Parts 1.27 to 1.40", as note B in part 1 does apply (my mother had been born in the UK at the time of my birth)? Should I therefore not fill 1.35 boxes?

Once again, thank you in advance for responses.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Hello again,

Further to my last post concerning item 1.35, I have found, in one of my now annulled French passports, a stamp dated 22 June 1987 stating "Given leave to remain in the United Kingdom for an indefinite period".

As I understand it, this would be the date to enter in last box of item 1.35, leaving the rest of this item blank. Is this correct?

Once again, many thanks.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 11:17 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

'By birth' is sufficient for 1.22. Leave 1.27 to 1.40 blank as they are not relevant to you.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Milles mercis, BritInParis. With your and Shirtback's help, I do believe I can complete the form and send it with relevant paperwork/fee. An Olympian achievement for me and, I hope, this thread can help others too. Many, many thanks.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

and for you.

Let us know how it goes .
Old Jan 4th 2018, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcello01
Hello again,

Further to my last post concerning item 1.35, I have found, in one of my now annulled French passports, a stamp dated 22 June 1987 stating "Given leave to remain in the United Kingdom for an indefinite period".

As I understand it, this would be the date to enter in last box of item 1.35, leaving the rest of this item blank. Is this correct?

Once again, many thanks.
I know it sounds a bit academic since the OP has already send his/her UKM form away. However, as someone who got Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK, would it not be better for the OP to get British Citizenship via naturalisation so that he/she can automatically pass on his/her British Citizenship to his/her child born outside of the UK after his/her naturalisation?
Old Jan 4th 2018, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HKG3
I know it sounds a bit academic since the OP has already send his/her UKM form away. However, as someone who got Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK, would it not be better for the OP to get British Citizenship via naturalisation so that he/she can automatically pass on his/her British Citizenship to his/her child born outside of the UK after his/her naturalisation?
If I understand correctly, the OP has been living in the UK since 1981, and is ~60 years old.

Children haven’t been mentioned, so far , although I do get your point.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply, Shirtback, and yes I will update when something comes through.

And thank you HKG3 for your comment which makes me wonder if one route is better than the other when children are not an issue. Shirtback's understanding is correct and I have no children.

I haven't sent the application off yet as I need to gather references and documents. I'd appreciate any comments on the merits of by descent or naturalisation in my situation.

I'd also like to ask about the sending of original birth certificates and passport. I'm anxious about this. The guide mentions RM Special Delivery/Signed For or couriers. I'll be sending by RM. Does anyone favour one method over the other and why?

Thanks again
Old Jan 4th 2018, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by HKG3
And thank you HKG3 for your comment which makes me wonder if one route is better than the other when children are not an issue. Shirtback's understanding is correct and I have no children.

I haven't sent the application off yet as I need to gather references and documents. I'd appreciate any comments on the merits of by descent or naturalisation in my situation.
If the OP was younger and living abroad then that might be relevant but I suspect the OP isn't planning on having children. Even if he did then so long as they were born in the UK then they would be British citizens. If children are not an issue then there's little point in paying the extra fee for naturalisation.

I'd also like to ask about the sending of original birth certificates and passport. I'm anxious about this. The guide mentions RM Special Delivery/Signed For or couriers. I'll be sending by RM. Does anyone favour one method over the other and why?

Thanks again
I would send the documents by Royal Mail Special Delivery as it's fully trackable and comes insured for up to £500 as standard.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, BIP. You've been such a help.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 9:42 pm

Thank you, BIP. You've been such a help.
No worries
Old Mar 12th 2018, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Hello again,

I am on the cusp of sending the application for BC. It's been a snail-like gathering of documents required and I thought I had everything until I noticed that, together with my mother's birth certificate, I need to send her expired citizen of the UK and Colonies passport. I don't have this as she died in 2008. I do have a copy of her death certificate and could send for a full original (as per her birth certificate). Would this be acceptable?

Many thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.