British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Form UKF - UK Citizen by decent - Questions! :) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/form-ukf-uk-citizen-decent-questions-915139/)

ekkikat Aug 4th 2019 7:43 am

Re: Form UKF - UK Citizen by decent - Questions! :)

Hello again!

Just some updates:

I did indeed manage to pay with someone else's credit card, and have completed the online application and mailed in the documents a couple days ago. now we wait!

Thanks for all your help

Gildies Aug 7th 2019 6:28 am

Hi everyone,

There seems to be some debate as to whether unabridged birth certificates for a application for British Citizenship through double descent is acceptable, or whether vault copies are required.
I am aware of aware of people whose applications were successful using unabridged - both personally and through this forum.
While certain agencies feel that the vault copies are possibly a safer bet.

Just wondered if anyone knows the exact details requested by the British Consulate?

ekkikat Aug 7th 2019 6:47 am

I'm not sure what the difference between a "vault copy" and "unabridged" birth certificate is, but when I mailed out my application I noticed that my own birth certificate (one that I have been using forever to apply for passport, HKID card etc) is actually a copy made in 1989, and I have never had any issue using it. Is this what you mean by unabridged?

Gildies Aug 7th 2019 8:00 am

Thanks for your response.

Basically the unabridged birth certificate is either a form filled in by hand or a computer print, stating the full details and names of your parents.
Which is then stamped and signed as an official document.

The vault copy is where they actually photocopy your original birth entry / certificate (with all your parent details) onto a document, which is then stamped and signed.

I'm not sure if they differ from country to country

JessAnne Aug 13th 2019 8:12 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been following this thread for quite some time as I have applied for UK citizenship registration using form UKF. I have questions and concerns regarding my application that I couldn't seem to find answered here or elsewhere.

Background: My father was born in Newcastle, to his British born mother who was also born in Newcastle. I however was born in Canada and never obtained UK citizenship through my father as he never married my Canadian mother. My father is still a UK citizen to this day and he is listed on my birth certificate, as well as his place of birth is listed on my birth certificate. Oh and my birth was registered a month after I was born. I feel confident that I have applied using the correct form.

I applied online on 22nd May, 2019. My supporting documents arrived in Liverpool at the address they listed (confirmed via Canadian Postal Tracking) on the 28th May 2019.

I have heard absolutely nothing in regards to my application. I didn't receive confirmation of my documents arriving, although I am not sure I would have.

All I received was an automated email on the 22nd of May when I completed my application. It confirmed my payment details and listed my next steps.

Which leads me to my question, concerns and worries. Upon further investigation, I have realised that when I mailed all my supporting documents, my passport, birth certificates of my father's and grandmother's, my two signed and completed referee forms etc. I left out one thing. I forgot to post the "Document Checklist" which the application asked me to print off and send with all supporting documents. This checklist listed my Name, Email Address, Unique Application Number and DOB. I was then supposed to check off each the boxes with the corresponding documents I would be sending. I am assuming that this "Document Checklist" is the exact document they use to match up my supporting documents with my online application. I cringe as I type this, realising the stupidity of myself.

I am now wondering if I have self-sabotaged my application by forgetting this "Document Checklist". Could this be why I haven't heard from them at all? Are my important documents now lost because they couldn't match the documents to the online application I made?

I used the contact email provided on my application and paid $10 CAD to email the visa and immigration regarding my concerns. I haven't had a response and it's been almost 2 weeks.

I'm having a crisis now, worried that my documents are forever lost because of my mistake. The lack on communication with the home office adds to my worries.

Has anyone had experience contacting the home office using the email they provided for immigration and visa help?

Should I have to reapply and pay the fees again, that is something I have come to accept since it was my foolish mistake. But I don't know where my documents are or how to get them back if thats the case?

Basically I don't know how to proceed further now that I have realised my mistake.

All help, advice or even just comfort will be greatly appreciated.

SanDiegogirl Aug 13th 2019 8:41 pm

When were you born?

JessAnne Aug 13th 2019 8:55 pm

1993, I believe that means I am eligible to apply for this specific form.

SanDiegogirl Aug 13th 2019 10:29 pm

Has the necessary fee been taken (credit/debit card/cheque) ?

The guidance notes say that receipt of documents can take up to a month (longer if busy period) and the w hole process up to 6 months.

Should not think not sending a document checklist is going to jeopardise an application

BritInParis Aug 13th 2019 11:13 pm

Two weeks in the middle of the summer holidays? Absolutely nothing to worry about. As SanDiegogirl says, first check whether payment has been taken.

JessAnne Aug 14th 2019 3:38 pm

Yes payment has been taken. The application was all online so I paid on the 22nd May and received payment confirmation immediately. This "Document Checklist" included my payment reference as well.

I suppose my worry is that I was hoping to hear about biometrics by now, since its been 2 1/2 months and I haven't heard anything. I've now jumped to the conclusion that it is my fault for all the delay.

Great point, I did forget that it is the middle of summer holidays! My nerves are slightly more calm.

Mizzpain Sep 13th 2019 2:28 pm

Hi sorry just been following the thread and really happy to hear that it seems simple I need a little bit of advice. I applied for ukf and my parents never married nor is my dad on birth certificate. Have dna test results and his British birth certificate and his mom's adoption certificate also for the UK. I made my payment however I am not able to download the checklist and the address documents need to be sent to. Is it just me or should I be contacting home office.

BritInParis Sep 14th 2019 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by JessAnne (Post 12723016)
Yes payment has been taken. The application was all online so I paid on the 22nd May and received payment confirmation immediately. This "Document Checklist" included my payment reference as well.

I suppose my worry is that I was hoping to hear about biometrics by now, since its been 2 1/2 months and I haven't heard anything. I've now jumped to the conclusion that it is my fault for all the delay.

Great point, I did forget that it is the middle of summer holidays! My nerves are slightly more calm.

Any update?

ekkikat Sep 22nd 2019 11:48 am

Hmmm, I dunno. I think it must have something to do with the checklist. I applied much later than you and today I received a reply from the Home Office telling to go in for biometrics...

On a side note, does that mean my citizenship has been granted?

BritInParis Sep 22nd 2019 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by ekkikat (Post 12738257)
Hmmm, I dunno. I think it must have something to do with the checklist. I applied much later than you and today I received a reply from the Home Office telling to go in for biometrics...

On a side note, does that mean my citizenship has been granted?

Your citizenship won’t be granted until you attend your citizenship ceremony but being called for biometrics is the final step before your ceremony.

JessAnne Oct 28th 2019 10:29 pm

Sorry for the late update. Been feeling quite discouraged these days. On the other hand, on September 17, I finally received an email from UK visas and immigrations. It stated that my application was in process, that all my documents have been received and that they cannot give me an update up the 6 month mark as passed. (November 28th)

As of today I haven't heard anything further. Curious to know though, is all the correspondence completed via email? Wondering this as I am unsure if I should be checking my mail box regularly or not?

Thanks everyone.