British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Form UKF - UK Citizen by decent - Questions! :) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/form-ukf-uk-citizen-decent-questions-915139/)

BritInParis Jul 24th 2018 11:46 am

Re: Form UKF - UK Citizen by decent - Questions! :)

Barristers, solicitors, paralegals and legal secretaries are all on the list. I would go with a notary and see what they say.

alannabel Jul 24th 2018 2:35 pm

I had my mother call the UK, as I cannot since I do not own a landline (and my cellphone will not dial out). A notary is fine, however since I don't know a professional/person within a professional position for more than 3 years, I was advised to write a letter stating this and why, etc. I did that, so I have that covered.

And now my father isn't being cooperative with me, and won't respond to my requests for his British Passport.

Woe to me.

Luckily, I was able to order his birth certificate from online, at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk (for anyone who doesn't know about the site, and who is looking for a birth, death, or marriage certificate).
All I need now is his passport and... ohhh he's so stubborn. I was able to call out to the UK from work, and they advised that if I cannot get his passport, then I can write a cover letter stating this and why.

It seems as though my entire application will be letters. I'll have to include a "I promise I'm a nice person please lemme in thank yoouu" letter. :D

BritInParis Jul 24th 2018 4:08 pm

Except his passport is not required.

alannabel Jul 24th 2018 4:48 pm

I'm not the brightest bulb in the socket. I re-read and read again what's required of me. This statement is what made me feel as though I needed his passport/birth certificate:

We need evidence to show that (had the applicant's father been married to their mother) Miss Alanna would have become a British citizen (or if under 18, would have been able to register as a citizen under one of the minor registration sections). Provide the relevant documents from the list below:
  • Miss Alanna's passport
  • Miss Alanna's full birth certificate; and either:
  • the father's full birth certificate or his certificate of naturalisation or registration as a British citizen or as a citizen of the UK and colonies (or, if before 1 January 1949, as a British subject)
  • papers showing the applicant's father's legal adoption
  • the applicant's father's expired British citizen, citizen of the UK and Colonies or British subject passport.
  • evidence that he was settled in the UK at the time of Miss Alanna's birth, if they were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983.

Since my parents were not married, I was not born before 1983, and not born in the UK, this particular point does not have anything to do with me. Correct?

I feel silly.
I still ordered my fathers birth certificate, however.

BritInParis Jul 24th 2018 5:01 pm

You need your passport, your full birth certificate and then one of those following items, none of which is his current British passport. If you have his full birth certificate on order then you can use that. You don't need to worry about getting a copy of his passport.

alannabel Jul 25th 2018 3:43 am

I believe I see where I misread.

I almost have all I need to complete and submit the application. :) I’m hoping all goes well.

In the meantime...

Any advice with regards to relocating/moving to the UK? :D

spouse of scouse Jul 25th 2018 6:56 am

Originally Posted by alannabel (Post 12538097)

Any advice with regards to relocating/moving to the UK? :D

This sub-forum is only for visa/passport/citizenship questions, for relocation advice please post here
https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/

alannabel Jul 25th 2018 5:45 pm

Ohh my apologies. I had forgotten I wasn't in the right forum. :)

I will come back to this thread at a later time, should there be any updates to the application itself.

Many thanks, BritInParis! You really helped me. I greatly appreciate it!

BritInParis Jul 25th 2018 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by alannabel (Post 12538449)
Ohh my apologies. I had forgotten I wasn't in the right forum. :)

I will come back to this thread at a later time, should there be any updates to the application itself.

Many thanks, BritInParis! You really helped me. I greatly appreciate it!

You are very welcome :)

alannabel Oct 18th 2018 6:29 pm

Update: Was able to send off everything August 9th, and I sent it priority shipment. Arrived at Home Office on the 14th, annnnnnd I've been waiting ever since - until yesterday!

I am going for my biometric enrolment this coming Tuesday. :)

BritInParis Oct 18th 2018 6:55 pm

Excellent news. Your citizenship ceremony can’t be far behind!

alannabel Oct 18th 2018 8:09 pm

I'm guessing that since I'm going for my biometrics, that means I'm technically approved? I was excited, I got the email right away, as I was looking at my phone. :)

BritInParis Oct 18th 2018 8:46 pm

Pretty much.

JaridineHK Oct 19th 2018 5:29 am

Originally Posted by alannabel (Post 12536236)
Oh hello there. :)

Another little roadblock I've come across is my whole birth certificate issue, since my parents LOST the original one. I received a replacement in 2014, however the issue date is in 2014 and not in 1989. I believe this means I will need to get a court document stating my father is, indeed, my father - or a DNA test. Would anyone here happen to know if this is the case? He is named on my birth certificate, however it's not one from within the first 12 months of my birth. Alternatively, if it is acceptable, I can have a document written up and then notarized by the notary I mentioned earlier. :)

Did anyone know how she can pass the proof of paternity ? she mentioned her birth certificate was not register within 12 months.

BritInParis Oct 19th 2018 8:15 am

Originally Posted by JaridineHK (Post 12579960)
Did anyone know how she can pass the proof of paternity ? she mentioned her birth certificate was not register within 12 months.

Her birth was; the copy of the birth certificate was issued in 2014, which is not the same thing.