British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   FLR proof of cohabitation (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/flr-proof-cohabitation-935157/)

AnxiouslyAnxious Oct 5th 2020 4:58 pm

FLR proof of cohabitation

Hello Forum, Hope everyone is being safe 😷 I have a question about insurance policies if husband and I take bupa insurance policy or something like that will that be consider as another source? And here are some list of documents so far I have it on my name. I wonder if I will have enough. That’s all I have got so far. how am I doing so far :confused:

I entered the UK in dec 2018

March 2019- DVLA letter
june - sept 2019 Barclays
Sept - dec 2019 Barclays
Dec - Jan 2020 Barclays
Apr - July 2020 Barclays
July 2020 Nationwide letter (Joint Account)
June 2020 -Barclays letter
August- Dentist bill ( received at clinic but has address and date on it)
September 2020 - Nationwide letter (Joint)
September 2020 - Barclays letter

Stay safe everyone. Lots of love and respect to everyone 🙏🏼😷

Pulaski Oct 5th 2020 5:16 pm

Re: FLR proof of cohabitation

"More things from different companies/ organizations" is what you need, not lots from the same few companies - so six letters from Barclay's is one source, not six items.

Things you can show you both using the same address will help, especially if you don't have many joint accounts/ records, or joint mortgage/ rental lease. .... Are you named as sole/ primary beneficiary on each other's life insurance and wills?

SanDiegogirl Oct 5th 2020 5:59 pm

Most people show a tenancy agreement/mortgage papers (joint) and utility bills. Don't you have anything like that.

What are the Barclays documents? Joint bank statements?

AnxiouslyAnxious Oct 5th 2020 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12918950)
Most people show a tenancy agreement/mortgage papers (joint) and utility bills. Don't you have anything like that.

What are the Barclays documents? Joint bank statements?

Hi SDG, No We don’t have any utility bills together. my mother in law and husband has a mortgage together she put in the down payment and he pays the rest Every month so it’s on their name. and water bill etc is on her name although my husband has enough letter sources. We have nationwide account joint and Barclays account individually. The cohabitation proofs mentioned above are only for me. I was wondering if we should couple medical Insurance policy so that I could have another source. Do you think that’s a good idea?

AnxiouslyAnxious Oct 5th 2020 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12918941)
"More things from different companies/ organizations" is what you need, not lots from the same few companies - so six letters from Barclay's is one source, not six items.

Things you can show you both using the same address will help, especially if you don't have many joint accounts/ records, or joint mortgage/ rental lease. .... Are you named as sole/ primary beneficiary on each other's life insurance and wills?

Hello Pulaski, Nationwide account is on joint name we have letter from them not statements and I have individual account with Barclays. Those are only my cohabitation proof I’m not worried for husband’s proofs because he has a lot of mail coming in from enough sources. And I was thinking if we should take a couple medical insurance policy so that I will have letter from them and that might count as another source?

SanDiegogirl Oct 5th 2020 8:37 pm

So you live with your in-laws and they pay for everything?
You have separate bank accounts, although a Nationwide joint account.

Yes, you need to get some joint financial responsibilities.

Pulaski Oct 5th 2020 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by AnxiouslyAnxious (Post 12919026)
..... And I was thinking if we should take a couple medical insurance policy so that I will have letter from them and that might count as another source?

If your reason is to provide evidence of cohabitation, then "no!" Your life together needs to provide the evidence, you should not be organizing your life in such a way as to create evidence of cohabition.

As per above - things like [1] joint mortgage or rental lease, and [2] wills and [3] life insurance naming each other as primarly beneficiaries would be more useful IMO. Then if you don't have many joint accounts, a variety of other things lining up with your husband's address - driving license, GP registration, credit card, etc.

AnxiouslyAnxious Oct 5th 2020 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12919027)
So you live with your in-laws and they pay for everything?
You have separate bank accounts, although a Nationwide joint account.

Yes, you need to get some joint financial responsibilities.

It’s just my mother in law that lives with us. The house was bought before I got here and She didn’t have enough money to buy the house and couldn’t get mortgage so my husband stepped in and bought house with her and pays the mortgage. No she doesn’t pay for everything. She has bills on her name. So you think list of sources I have isn’t enough?

SanDiegogirl Oct 5th 2020 8:56 pm

Your mother in law and husband own the house. You are not on the mortgage. She and he pay the bills.
Apart from the Nationwide documentation which shows joint names, you have nothing to show co-habitation.
I would suggest you get yourself onto the council tax bill, the electricity/gas bill, the water bill, the voting poll, and any other others already mentioned.
A joint life insurance policy with one another as beneficiaries is always a good source.

Pulaski Oct 5th 2020 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12919032)
.... I would suggest you get yourself onto the council tax bill, the electricity/gas bill, the water bill, the voting poll, and any other others already mentioned. .....

As she needs evidence of cohabitation for FLR she's not yet a citizen, therefore she cannot put her name on the electoral (voters) roll, and I would contend that trying to would be a bad idea.

AnxiouslyAnxious Oct 5th 2020 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12919032)
Your mother in law and husband own the house. You are not on the mortgage. She and he pay the bills.
Apart from the Nationwide documentation which shows joint names, you have nothing to show co-habitation.
I would suggest you get yourself onto the council tax bill, the electricity/gas bill, the water bill, the voting poll, and any other others already mentioned.
A joint life insurance policy with one another as beneficiaries is always a good source.

Ok Thank you

SanDiegogirl Oct 5th 2020 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12919035)
As she needs evidence of cohabitation for FLR she's not yet a citizen, therefore she cannot put her name on the electoral (voters) roll, and I would contend that trying to would be a bad idea.

While I believe you are correct as far as England is concerned, I think Wales and Scotland have different rules. Certainly in Wales you can vote in certain elections if:

You can register to vote if you are: . • Resident (usually live) in Wales and aged 14 or over (but you will not be able to vote in Senedd elections until you are 16. You will not be able to vote in UK Parliamentary, local council or Police and Crime Commissioner elections until you are 18).

You must also be either: • • A British, Irish or European Union citizen, or • A Commonwealth citizen or foreign citizen who has leave to enter or remain in the UK or who does not require such leave.

Don't know where the OP lives, but thought it might be something she could consider

BritInParis Oct 6th 2020 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12919035)

Commonwealth citizens with leave to remain in the UK have full voting rights so no problem there.

spouse of scouse Oct 6th 2020 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12919316)
Commonwealth citizens with leave to remain in the UK have full voting rights so no problem there.

:thumbup:

One of the first 'official' things I did when I moved to the UK was enroll to vote.

AnxiouslyAnxious Oct 6th 2020 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12919316)

Hello BIP , I live in the England so I can enroll to vote inspite of not being a citizen yet ? If so can please let me know how to enroll for it . Thank you for always being so wonderful. :)