British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   FLR(M) - Savings Category D & Monthly Costs Question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/flr-m-savings-category-d-monthly-costs-question-933303/)

MonsterP Jun 19th 2020 2:07 pm

FLR(M) - Savings Category D & Monthly Costs Question

I'm completing the application form for my Wife's FLR(M). We're applying via Category D, Savings Route, in excess of the minimum £62.5k and should not need to provide anything regarding monthly costs.
However, after completing the previous question about cash savings, the amount, and other details, the next page is asking:-
HOME DETAILS
Do you own or rent your home?
Answer: OWN
Mortgage Payments: £0.00

Then there are two tick boxes as attached. One for monthly housing costs and the other for council tax costs.

Rather confused here. Do we leave the first box unticked and only tick the second box to show understanding, as it mentions?

Many thanks, MP
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...da94f62ae3.png
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...64c1aee0ca.png

SanDiegogirl Jun 19th 2020 2:39 pm

Re: FLR(M) - Savings Category D & Monthly Costs Question

You do not need to provide anything for this question.

As the form says "you only need to provide this information is you are exempt from meeting the income threshhold"

YOU are applying under Cat D- Savings.

It's is very badly worded

MonsterP Jun 19th 2020 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12869269)
You do not need to provide anything for this question.

As the form says "you only need to provide this information is you are exempt from meeting the income threshhold"

YOU are applying under Cat D- Savings.

It's is very badly worded

Thank you. So I should NOT tick the 2nd box too?

It's horrendous, isn't it. Feels more difficult than entry clearance sometimes :banghead:

SanDiegogirl Jun 19th 2020 5:57 pm

Correct, do not tick the second box either.

MonsterP Jun 19th 2020 9:20 pm

Thank you so much! :drinkingbeer:

smashcut Sep 9th 2020 6:59 pm

Sorry to thread hijack -- I didn't want to open a variation on the same question

We're in a very similar situation (category D application, cash savings only route for the maintenance requirement), except we rent rather than own.

Am I right in thinking that we should not only avoid ticking both boxes here, but also not add details as to whether we rent or own, and the monthly expense?

Or should we choose the appropriate rent/own and monthly cost, but NOT check the boxes?

Sorry for being a bit dim. I'm second-guessing every step!

Redsoxfan Sep 10th 2020 2:35 am

Originally Posted by smashcut (Post 12907906)
Sorry to thread hijack -- I didn't want to open a variation on the same question

We're in a very similar situation (category D application, cash savings only route for the maintenance requirement), except we rent rather than own.

Am I right in thinking that we should not only avoid ticking both boxes here, but also not add details as to whether we rent or own, and the monthly expense?

Or should we choose the appropriate rent/own and monthly cost, but NOT check the boxes?

Sorry for being a bit dim. I'm second-guessing every step!

I don’t remember coming across this? Is it because we’re doing Cat A and D? I only remember clearly ticking “renting under local authority” then was asked how many bedrooms.
Question: If sponsor lives in a council housing with enough rooms (is council housing a form of public recourse?) does your application get denied?

smashcut Sep 11th 2020 3:11 pm

Redsoxfan could be -- it feels like the form changes according to previous responses given? For what it's worth, this question appears for me in the 'Finance' section, directly after providing details of the bank account and checking the boxes to confirm that we'll provide bank statements and a declaration of the source of the savings.

I'm not sure why I'm getting this question if it doesn't apply, but it could be to cover cases where someone is using cash savings and is also exempt if that's a thing :confused:

It does look like these questions should apply to people who fall under the provisions of Appendix FM-SE paragraph 12, which begins:

12. Where a person is in receipt of Carer’s Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, Severe Disablement Allowance, Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, Attendance Allowance or Personal Independence Payment or Armed Forces Independence Payment or Guaranteed Income Payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme or Constant Attendance Allowance, Mobility Supplement or War Disablement Pension under the War Pensions Scheme, or a Police Injury Pension, all the following must be provided:
That doesn't apply to us, as we're using Category D cash savings only and don't fall under any of these categories of applicant.

Further down in 12A, though, I see:

1. (e) Where the cash savings of the applicant or their partner, parent, parent’s partner or sponsor are relied upon, paragraphs 11 and 11A apply.
  2. (f) The monthly housing and Council Tax costs for the accommodation in the UK in which the applicant (and any other family members who are or will be part of the same household) lives or will live if the application is granted.

Presumably, that's nested under 12 for a reason and only applies to those that described in paragraph 12?

I'm not sure why this is being surfaced for us given the form seems to skip most parts not needed based on previous answers and we've given no indication of falling under paragraph 12.

The bullet points are equally confusing. While it says:

• you only need to provide this information is you are exempt from meeting the income threshold

That's directly followed by:

• you are responsible for some housing costs such as rent, mortgage or council tax

It's hard to know if there's an implied AND or an OR between those bullet points. Adding one or the other would be very helpful!

In our case, my wife is the applicant and is listed on the council tax bill, so the second bullet applies, but the first doesn't (she isn't exempt from meeting the income threshold).

Presumably, we need to respond to the first question as to whether we rent or own and what that costs us (doesn't seem to be a way past it), but going by SanDiegogirl 's reply upstream, can safely ignore both check boxes which follow.

Redsoxfan Sep 12th 2020 12:00 am

Originally Posted by smashcut (Post 12908732)
Redsoxfan could be -- it feels like the form changes according to previous responses given? For what it's worth, this question appears for me in the 'Finance' section, directly after providing details of the bank account and checking the boxes to confirm that we'll provide bank statements and a declaration of the source of the savings.

I'm not sure why I'm getting this question if it doesn't apply, but it could be to cover cases where someone is using cash savings and is also exempt if that's a thing :confused:

It does look like these questions should apply to people who fall under the provisions of Appendix FM-SE paragraph 12, which begins:

That doesn't apply to us, as we're using Category D cash savings only and don't fall under any of these categories of applicant.

Further down in 12A, though, I see:

Presumably, that's nested under 12 for a reason and only applies to those that described in paragraph 12?

I'm not sure why this is being surfaced for us given the form seems to skip most parts not needed based on previous answers and we've given no indication of falling under paragraph 12.

The bullet points are equally confusing. While it says:

That's directly followed by:

It's hard to know if there's an implied AND or an OR between those bullet points. Adding one or the other would be very helpful!

In our case, my wife is the applicant and is listed on the council tax bill, so the second bullet applies, but the first doesn't (she isn't exempt from meeting the income threshold).

Presumably, we need to respond to the first question as to whether we rent or own and what that costs us (doesn't seem to be a way past it), but going by SanDiegogirl 's reply upstream, can safely ignore both check boxes which follow.

i honestly don’t know the difference between appendix fm and appendix fm se-sorry. I know I filled out appendix fm and answered questions then when it came to rent/own, I chose renting under local authority and asking how many rooms then in checklist just stated to send statements. It’s really a pain in the neck filling it out and I lost my mind when it comes to vfs site. Just take a deep breath and go back to it whenever you’re ready. It took me days to fill everything out. I called U.K. as well for some guidance and they’re very helpful. Hope that helps.

SanDiegogirl Sep 12th 2020 1:43 am

I can understand your confusion, when applying under savings, as to why this question of council tax and monthly housing costs should come up.

I don't remember these type of questions coming up by applicants when the hard copy form used to be completed.

As said by one of the respondents on this thread, the online form appears to ask questions based on your previous answers. However, this type of question is usually asked where an applicant is applying under Adequate Maintenance and is exempt from the financial requirements. In their case the sponsor needs to prove they have adequate income (including their benefits) to support the applicant, and in that situation they have to show housing costs

The original OP of this thread gave a screen shot of the question and based on the statement :"You will only need to provide this evidence if you are exempt from meeting the financial threshold" I still think you do not need to complete this section.

spouse of scouse Sep 12th 2020 2:06 am

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12908934)
I can understand your confusion, when applying under savings, as to why this question of council tax and monthly housing costs should come up.

I don't remember these type of questions coming up by applicants when the hard copy form used to be completed.

As said by one of the respondents on this thread, the online form appears to ask questions based on your previous answers. However, this type of question is usually asked where an applicant is applying under Adequate Maintenance and is exempt from the financial requirements. In their case the sponsor needs to prove they have adequate income (including their benefits) to support the applicant, and in that situation they have to show housing costs

The original OP of this thread gave a screen shot of the question and based on the statement :"You will only need to provide this evidence if you are exempt from meeting the financial threshold" I still think you do not need to complete this section.

Yes SDG, those questions certainly weren't asked when I did my application in 2015 (I also applied under cash savings)

OP, it sounds like a bit of a nightmare! While I can't help with the online form as I haven't seen it, just be careful that you're not confusing 'maintenance requirement', which doesn't apply to you, with the 'financial requirement', which is what you're meeting with category D cash savings. As SDG has said, the maintenance requirement/adequate maintenance is only for people who are exempt from the 'normal' financial requirement - this is usually people receiving income support, and although they are exempt from the usual financial requirement rules they still need to show that they have enough income to meet their needs, hence the questions about housing and other costs.

smashcut Sep 12th 2020 11:34 am

I'm not the OP (sorry for thread highjacking!), but appreciate everyone who's weighed in here -- thank you!

For whatever reason, despite previous answers only indicating that we intend to use cash savings (and nothing to say we are exempt from the income requirement) I'm forced to fill in the rent/own part of the form originally shared by the OP, which now sits under the 'finance' section of the online form.

There's no longer any mention of maintenance or financial requirement (but I was definitely mixing the two up!), you just get served questions by whatever the branching/algorithm 'decides' comes next.

As there's no way to progress past this step I think we'll have to enter the 'rent' and leave the boxes unchecked. I'm considering starting over in case that resets anything, but going by confusion elsewhere around the same situation, maybe they've started asking this by default for Category D by design and because of some glitch.