Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

First visit visa for my Laos girlfriend to the UK. Help needed

First visit visa for my Laos girlfriend to the UK. Help needed

Old Jun 6th 2016, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Drunkdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First visit visa for my Laos girlfriend to the UK. Help needed

Hey everyone! I hope this is in the right place to post, I am in need of all your advice please if possible.

We are hoping to get my Laos girlfriend of 17months a visa this year to visit me for approx 6 weeks.

A few issues I am concerned about:

She has stayed in Thailand more than Laos, even speaks more Thai than Laos but hasn't been staying officially so when we met, she has no stamps in her old passport to prove she was in Phuket. Same for the second time.

How much dosh will be sufficient enough per week for being the sponsor?

Will I need to book and pay for flights before submitting the application?

Another problem is we know she will have to go back to Laos to apply but how on earth can we prove she will go back to Laos after holiday apart from having family there

I am 29 and she is 26, I am self employed and officially live with parents on a farm but stay in a half finished barn conversion which I'm in the process of working on.

Sorry for the long list I never went to Thailand to go looking for love but it just happened! I am completely and utterly no good at this stuff I don't even know where to start to apply!

Thanks
Old Jun 6th 2016, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

inggris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First visit visa for my Laos girlfriend to the UK. Help needed

Originally Posted by Drunkdog
Hey everyone! I hope this is in the right place to post, I am in need of all your advice please if possible.

We are hoping to get my Laos girlfriend of 17months a visa this year to visit me for approx 6 weeks.

A few issues I am concerned about:

She has stayed in Thailand more than Laos, even speaks more Thai than Laos but hasn't been staying officially so when we met, she has no stamps in her old passport to prove she was in Phuket. Same for the second time.

How much dosh will be sufficient enough per week for being the sponsor?

Will I need to book and pay for flights before submitting the application?

Another problem is we know she will have to go back to Laos to apply but how on earth can we prove she will go back to Laos after holiday apart from having family there

I am 29 and she is 26, I am self employed and officially live with parents on a farm but stay in a half finished barn conversion which I'm in the process of working on.

Sorry for the long list I never went to Thailand to go looking for love but it just happened! I am completely and utterly no good at this stuff I don't even know where to start to apply!

Thanks
What does she do in Thailand/Laos?
Old Jun 6th 2016, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by inggris
What does she do in Thailand/Laos?
Working in Thailand & just visiting family in Laos. When we went back to Laos to renew her passport, she just used a friends Thai ID card to get on the flights and her family kind of smuggled her through udon 😂
Old Jun 6th 2016, 3:54 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Drunkdog
Working in Thailand & just visiting family in Laos. When we went back to Laos to renew her passport, she just used a friends Thai ID card to get on the flights and her family kind of smuggled her through udon 😂
Just a well meaning piece of advice - Home Office staff have been known to pop their heads into this forum from time to time. As well as talking about your girlfriend's history of immigration and air travel fraud, you've given both your nationalities, your ages and your own work/living situation. Just saying..
Old Jun 6th 2016, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Great! How can I delete this? Thanks
Old Jun 7th 2016, 7:32 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

From what you've said so far I suspect the chances of your girlfriend getting a visitor visa for the UK are close to zero. Stick to visiting her in Thailand/Laos until you are willing to marry.