First time UK passport

Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:22 pm
Banned

normanstrongbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First time UK passport

Hi,
First time UK passport application.
Trying to fill out section 4 on forum C1.
I was born in UK. Came to Canada 30 years ago on non-UK passport.
How do I fill in section 4.
I have read the wiki on this subject and it seems they need the original passport I entered Canada with.
I hesitate to send in this original passport, the reason being is that the Canadian government is requiring proof entry into canada (landed immigrant stamp on passport) in order to prove residency for old age pension (OAS). There have been several stories in the media here regarding immigrants being denied pensions because they lost their passport.
Would a certified copy of this passport suffice?
As a first time applicant I will probably have to attend an interview, can I show my original passport then.
Thank you.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 12:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time UK passport

Send a copy. You do not need to send the original.

Most of the time the original has been lost or destroyed anyway.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 9:29 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

Originally Posted by normanstrongbow
Hi,
First time UK passport application.
Trying to fill out section 4 on forum C1.
I was born in UK. Came to Canada 30 years ago on non-UK passport.
How do I fill in section 4.
I have read the wiki on this subject and it seems they need the original passport I entered Canada with.
I hesitate to send in this original passport, the reason being is that the Canadian government is requiring proof entry into canada (landed immigrant stamp on passport) in order to prove residency for old age pension (OAS). There have been several stories in the media here regarding immigrants being denied pensions because they lost their passport.
Would a certified copy of this passport suffice?
As a first time applicant I will probably have to attend an interview, can I show my original passport then.
Thank you.
For a first time UK passport I am sure you will just need your long UK birth cert, this will be proof of your right to hold a BP.

Also if you have been living in Canada for 30 yrs, why dont you get naturalised, surely this will insure you wont have any future problems regarding your status.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Linotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond repute

Given the op's situation! how does one fill out Section 4?

This information seems to suggest checking no for first time applicants.
http://centralcontent.fco.gov.uk/res...1-walkthru.pdf

While Note 5 Section 4 seems to indicate checking yes.
http://centralcontent.fco.gov.uk/res...m-c1-notes.pdf
Old Feb 1st 2013, 2:41 pm
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

I recently applied for a first time BP for my daughter, I used what they call the smart form.

Below are he links for you to apply.

Better you go through the website as you can fill in online and the sections that dont apply to you will automatically adjust and cancel, then you can download and sign and send.

Your links I think are for use within the UK or from another country perhaps.

http://centralcontent.fco.gov.uk/res...smart-form.pdf

http://www.fco.gov.uk/resources/en/p...m-guidance.pdf
Old Feb 1st 2013, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Linotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond repute

Can't use smart forms on my computer, need to pay for a system upgrade.

I am applying from Canada. All Canadian UK passport applications are now handled by Regional Passport Centre in Washington.

The documents with the conflicting information I quoted can be found on this page
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...s-first-timers

How am I to fill out Section 4 if I entered Canada on a non-UK passport.
As I pointed out the 2 documents seem to contradict each other.

Also given the cost of a passport it seems ridiculous to have to pay a private
company to get government information.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 9:31 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you're applying for your first British passport from Canada, but you were born in the UK, then they will want to see your original full British birth certificate and a copy of your current passport(s) in any other nationalities you may hold. The passport examiner may contact you and ask you some additional questions/request other documents, but that's all you need to send in initially.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 2:23 am
advocatus diaboli

Originally Posted by Linotype
Can't use smart forms on my computer, need to pay for a system upgrade.

I am applying from Canada. All Canadian UK passport applications are now handled by Regional Passport Centre in Washington.

The documents with the conflicting information I quoted can be found on this page
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...s-first-timers

How am I to fill out Section 4 if I entered Canada on a non-UK passport.
As I pointed out the 2 documents seem to contradict each other.

Also given the cost of a passport it seems ridiculous to have to pay a private
company to get government information.

The links I gave were for applications from Canada, if you just download the a copy and fill it in manually that will do, you only need to answer the questions using one guide, im not sure where you go the other type of application from, are you sure that one is not out dated, this can easily be the case.
If you stick with one application using the accompanying guide then this should be fine.

Private companies are now doing part of the process for consulates, for various reasons.
Usually its to lower the costs for the consulates.