First Overseas Passport Wait Time

Old Dec 9th 2016, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Darlingamylouise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First Overseas Passport Wait Time

Hi All,

Just looking for some experiences on this topic. I am a British citizen currently living in the states with my husband and our daughter. We have just applied for her first British passport & i was wondering if anyone had any timeframe on how long it took to receive theirs if applying from USA? We were planning a trip to the UK in March but obviously that's now on hold as I've seen some people have been waiting 6 months!

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Old Dec 9th 2016, 11:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Overseas Passport Wait Time

Originally Posted by Darlingamylouise
Hi All,

Just looking for some experiences on this topic. I am a British citizen currently living in the states with my husband and our daughter. We have just applied for her first British passport & i was wondering if anyone had any timeframe on how long it took to receive theirs if applying from USA? We were planning a trip to the UK in March but obviously that's now on hold as I've seen some people have been waiting 6 months!

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Your daughter doesn't need a UK PP to visit the U.K...she can use her US PP.

I would think there is plenty of time between now and March to get a UK PP.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Darlingamylouise is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I forgot to mention we are moving to the UK, my husband will be staying for 6 months & then returning to the states and then applying for a visa to join us. We need a British passport for my daughter so that she can stay with me & my parents until my husband gets his spousal visa
Old Dec 10th 2016, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

The processing/wait times for a first British child passport vary ENORMOUSLY depending on where the child was born/is living/nationality of other parent, etc.

Having said that, applying from the US for a child of US/UK parentage isn't one of the "red flag", extraordinarily long processing time scenarios.

"Official" guidance for your situation is ~6 weeks.

And a last note: in a worst case scenario, your daughter, as a British citizen CAN enter the U.K. on her US passport (as JG mentioned) and CAN stay there.

Personally I'd be more concerned about your husband being turned back at the border given the details you mention - but again, that's worst case scenario.

Last edited by Shirtback; Dec 10th 2016 at 11:09 am.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 11:15 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
The processing/wait times for a first British child passport vary ENORMOUSLY depending on where the child was born/is living/nationality of other parent, etc.

Having said that, applying from the US for a child of US/UK parentage isn't one of the "red flag", extraordinarily long processing time scenarios.

"Official" guidance for your situation is ~6 weeks.

And a last note: in a worst case scenario, your daughter, as a British citizen CAN enter the U.K. on her US passport (as JG mentioned) and CAN stay there.

Personally I'd be more concerned about your husband being turned back at the border given the details you mention - but again, that's worst case scenario.
Both the husband and child would only be permitted leave to enter at the UK border at the discretion of the Immigration Officer if they only hold US passports even if the child is a British citizen.

That being said the OP is likely to receive her daughter's British passport before the end of the year and certainly before March if the application has been completed correctly.