First child passport - overseas vs UK

Old Nov 19th 2014, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

stoobee1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First child passport - overseas vs UK

Hi,

Does anyone have experience booking an appointment and using the 1 week Fast Track service to apply for a child's first British passport while on vacation in the UK? We'll be visiting from Canada in the summer but have been informed that any complications in supporting documents we submit can cause delays which would be more trouble than it's worth for our 2 week max visit.

I'm weighing this against doing the overseas application from Canada. I don't mind the wait but having to submit our child's Canadian passport for 3-6 months is a no go. The supporting documents PDF is as clear as mud that we must submit either a colour photocopy of any uncancelled non-British passports or (as written in Table B) the passport you entered the country from which you are applying.

If going the overseas route, can anyone confirm these supporting docs are correct:

- 2 recent identical photos (one counter-signed)
- Colour photocopy of all pages of child's Canadian passport
- Child's full birth certificate (consular not needed as Canadian shows both parents).

From Table B, it would seem there's no need to submit either parent's birth certificate if the child's birth certificate shows both parents. The marriage certificate is also not needed. I assume then that the father's UK passport number is enough to prove British born (otherwise than by descent) as it shows place of birth.

Many thanks.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 11:57 am
Just Joined

sm16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First child passport - overseas vs UK

I have just spent a very frustrating hour on the phone to the passport people. They told me that the child has to be in the UK until the passport is issued and if they are not then it amounts to fraud.

For overseas application when I applied from Russia for my son I included (from memory)
mother and fathers birth certificates
marriage certificate
child's birth certificate
proof of address
copy of both parents passports
child's Russian passport
Child's photos with countersignatory
photos proving we are a happy family

I am now collecting all the docs again for my daughter.

When handing over docs I showed originals and gave photocopies, there is no way that you can give originals and live without them in Russia. The lady at the embassy stamped the photocopies with 'original seen' stamp.

Not an easy process at all unfortunately but good luck with it.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 11:31 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stoobee1
Hi,

Does anyone have experience booking an appointment and using the 1 week Fast Track service to apply for a child's first British passport while on vacation in the UK? We'll be visiting from Canada in the summer but have been informed that any complications in supporting documents we submit can cause delays which would be more trouble than it's worth for our 2 week max visit.

I'm weighing this against doing the overseas application from Canada. I don't mind the wait but having to submit our child's Canadian passport for 3-6 months is a no go. The supporting documents PDF is as clear as mud that we must submit either a colour photocopy of any uncancelled non-British passports or (as written in Table B) the passport you entered the country from which you are applying.

If going the overseas route, can anyone confirm these supporting docs are correct:

- 2 recent identical photos (one counter-signed)
- Colour photocopy of all pages of child's Canadian passport
- Child's full birth certificate (consular not needed as Canadian shows both parents).

From Table B, it would seem there's no need to submit either parent's birth certificate if the child's birth certificate shows both parents. The marriage certificate is also not needed. I assume then that the father's UK passport number is enough to prove British born (otherwise than by descent) as it shows place of birth.

Many thanks.
If you are not travelling until next summer then I would lodge the application from Canada and avoid any potential stress during your holiday.

As Canada is an ex-Dominion consular birth registration is not an option so you will need to send the necessary supporting documents directly to HMPO.

In addition to the documents you have already listed you will definitely need to submit the full UK birth certificate for at least one British parent presuming you obtained your British citizenship by birth. Your British passport will not suffice nor would it be recommendable to submit it in case it is needed for travel.

If the child was born to a British father and a non-British mother before 1 July 2006 then you will also need to submit your marriage certificate.

If the UK-born parent was born after 1983 you will also need to submit the grandparents' birth certificates and marriage certificate.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

stoobee1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks BritInParis. According to the adviceline, the first sentence in Table B refers to submitting my passport (as I'm the BC) not the child's. I will attempt a colour photocopy. As UKPA issued the passport then surely the number is enough to look it up?

I was also under the impression that as we have a long format Canadian birth certificate this is equivalent to a consular so I don't need to submit my birth certificate. I guess they might need it to prove my British by birth but again the birth place is on the passport. Will submit if necessary. Thankfully we don't need to submit any other birth or marriage certificates.

sm16, I was also told that if applying while visiting the UK I'd need to be present in the UK until the passport was issued. I imagine they keep all your docs until approval. You might want to call the adviceline again to see how consistent their answers are
Old Nov 20th 2014, 10:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stoobee1
Thanks BritInParis. According to the adviceline, the first sentence in Table B refers to submitting my passport (as I'm the BC) not the child's. I will attempt a colour photocopy. As UKPA issued the passport then surely the number is enough to look it up?
Yes, only send a photocopy. The application for your child's British passport doesn't rely on you possessing your own valid British passport. Only your birth certificate will provide sufficient evidence (see below).

I was also under the impression that as we have a long format Canadian birth certificate this is equivalent to a consular so I don't need to submit my birth certificate. I guess they might need it to prove my British by birth but again the birth place is on the passport. Will submit if necessary. Thankfully we don't need to submit any other birth or marriage certificates.
A foreign birth certificate will usually rely on the parents' declaration as to their place of birth. Places of birth on British passports are also too ambiguous. Your place of birth is listed as 'Halifax'. Is that West Yorkshire or Nova Scotia? Also a birth in the UK doesn't automatically entitled you to British citizenship otherwise than by descent. Only a parent's full British birth certificate will allow an examiner to make that determination.