First British Passport Supporting Documents

Old Mar 28th 2019, 4:45 am
Just Joined

SpeshK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First British Passport Supporting Documents

Hi,

I'm a little confused on what I need to send in with our baby's first passport application. Maybe I'm reading too much into this and I'm sure it's been answered elsewhere but I couldn't find it.

Details:
  • Baby was born last year in NYC
  • Father (me) is British, mother is American
  • Baby has a US passport already
In the 'Applying for a passport from outside the UK, Supporting Documents' advisory, Table B on Page 3:

Born on or after 1 January 1983 • one of your parents’ full birth certificate (showing both the child’s and parents’ details) or naturalisation or registration certificate; and • if this is your father, his marriage certificate to your mother (this does not apply for those born on or after 1 July 2006)

Two questions:
  • Does this mean they need my (the baby's father) birth certificate or my father's (i.e. the baby's grandfather's) birth certificate?
  • Do they need my actual passport? Reluctant to send it as I may be travelling at short notice
I think I need to send:
  • Completed declaration form
  • Two photos
  • Baby's birth certificate
  • Full colour copy of baby's passport (every page + covers)
  • Father's passport
  • Father's birth certificate
  • Letter why baby can't sign
Anyone think otherwise? Any help appreciated!
Old Mar 28th 2019, 8:55 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First British Passport Supporting Documents

You should read the form as if your child, the applicant, is completing it. Therefore they are requesting your full British birth certificate in addition to your child’s long form US birth certificate. You should only send a photocopy of your British passport, not the actual document. Regardless of what the guidance says I would save yourself the ink and just send a copy of the bio-data pages, not the whole thing. You don’t need a letter explaining why the baby can’t sign.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

SpeshK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First British Passport Supporting Documents

Thanks for the sanity check, appreciated. Wording on these things is pretty awkward!