First British passport applying from overseas.

Old Feb 25th 2016, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Baron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First British passport applying from overseas.

Hi.
Just a couple of questions.
Do overseas applicants have to attend passport interview?
Do I have to enter my parents passport numbers in the application form or is my British Citizenship certificate details sufficient?
Regards.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 7:41 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First British passport applying from overseas.

Originally Posted by Baron
Hi.
Do I have to enter my parents passport numbers in the application form or is my British Citizenship certificate details sufficient?
Regards.
As far as I'm aware interviews for overseas applicants applying for their first adult passport are not currently mandatory like they are in the UK.

If your parents have British passports then provide their passport numbers on the application form. If they don't have them then you can't provide them.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

msnapz is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hijack this thread but I am also applying for a first British passport for our baby. I am a British citizen, my wife is American and our baby is British by descent as I was born in England as we're all of my family.

The question is, I changed my last name due to marriage so is not the same name as on my British passport or birth certificate but my new name is on our baby's birth certificate and my American passport. I find it confusing on the documents required to be sent in, do I have to send our marriage certificate? Hoping we don't!

Thanks and sorry for jumping in, hope you don't mind!
Old Feb 25th 2016, 11:32 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msnapz
Sorry to hijack this thread but I am also applying for a first British passport for our baby. I am a British citizen, my wife is American and our baby is British by descent as I was born in England as we're all of my family.

The question is, I changed my last name due to marriage so is not the same name as on my British passport or birth certificate but my new name is on our baby's birth certificate and my American passport. I find it confusing on the documents required to be sent in, do I have to send our marriage certificate? Hoping we don't!

Thanks and sorry for jumping in, hope you don't mind!
Probably advisable to as the passport examiner will need to link the person named on your birth certificate to the parent named on your child's birth certificate. Consular birth registration is another option to consider.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply. Sorry just very confusing on what is required. From my understanding I need to send my American and British passport, my wife's American passport, daughters birth certificate and our marriage certificate. Is this everything? Thought I read somewhere my parents British birth certificates also need to be supplied?

Thanks again?
Old Feb 25th 2016, 5:43 pm

Thanks for the reply. Sorry just very confusing on what is required. From my understanding I need to send my American and British passport, my wife's American passport, daughters birth certificate and our marriage certificate. Is this everything? Thought I read somewhere my parents British birth certificates also need to be supplied?

Thanks again?
Full list here: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._Gp1_09.15.PDF

You don't need to send your and your wife's passports but you will need to send your full birth certificate. The grandparents' (your parents) British birth certificates are required if you were born after 1 January 1983. If both your parents were born in the UK then I would just send your mother's as your sending your father's would also require you to send their marriage certificate.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the information really appreciate that. Just came back from England should have brought them back with me!
Old Feb 25th 2016, 6:21 pm

Thanks for the information really appreciate that. Just came back from England should have brought them back with me!
If you want to keep the originals safe then you can always order another copy from the GRO if you/your parents were born in England or Wales for £9.25 a pop.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Good to know.

Will contact my mum and get her birth certificate.

So I don't need to send my British passport?

I was going to change the last name in my British passport since it has my birth surname in there but think I will just have my previous surname on the flight details when we do finally move back to the uk so I ant have to pay to change my passport. Probably advisable for me to have a copy of our marriage certificate when we go through immigration as my daughters last name will appear different and my wife will probably have to go through a different line once she gets her spouse visa approved.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 6:44 pm

Good to know.

Will contact my mum and get her birth certificate.

So I don't need to send my British passport?

I was going to change the last name in my British passport since it has my birth surname in there but think I will just have my previous surname on the flight details when we do finally move back to the uk so I ant have to pay to change my passport. Probably advisable for me to have a copy of our marriage certificate when we go through immigration as my daughters last name will appear different and my wife will probably have to go through a different line once she gets her spouse visa approved.
If you have changed your name and wish to use going forward then it would be advisable to update your passport when you apply for your daughter's.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

I was thinking it might be. I wouldn't need any other documents apart from my marriage certificate I'm guessing! Probably my old British passport? Thanks so much
Old Feb 25th 2016, 8:42 pm

I was thinking it might be. I wouldn't need any other documents apart from my marriage certificate I'm guessing! Probably my old British passport? Thanks so much
Definitely need both of those things.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 8:29 am
Just Joined

bola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baron
Hi.
Regards.
you can put it if you have their details but ultimately, your registration cert is much relevant
Old Feb 28th 2016, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Last question! Going through the online form right now! under fathers details it asks for surname. I changed my last name through marriage so my american passport reflects that but my british passport reflects my birth certificate. Should I enter my birth surname or the surname on my american passport? Thanks again
Old Feb 29th 2016, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

mummykochi is an unknown quantity at this point

I would put your current name - explain in covering letter as to why your name has changed and your birth surname is ****** as in uk passport.

I am a UK citizen, living in India - My husband is Indian - I applied for our sons uk passport, and had it back in 10 weeks.
I had to provide color copies of:

My passport and residency permit (address proof)
our sons birth certificate
our marriage certificate
my long and short uk birth certificate
my husbands indian passport
approx 3 scans from my pregnancy
discharge summary for me and my son from the hospital

originals of:
our sons birth certificate
photographs of our son and us from birth until now
my parents uk birth certifiactes and marriage certificate

My son was 15 months when I applied. I applied on Oct 26th - got call for interview - had interview on Dec 18th, Passport printed 5th Jan - Delivered 10th Jan.

And Im in India - so I assume if you have all the correct docs - you should get it quicker in the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.