First Adult UK Passport - Applying from New Zealand

Old Sep 4th 2018, 5:41 am
Just Joined

Naynay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First Adult UK Passport - Applying from New Zealand

Originally Posted by BritInParis
My previous advice still stands - make a SAR to HMPO for details regarding your father’s naturalisation/registration certificate. Depending on the result a further course of action can then be recommended.
Hi, thanks for your help. I have taken your advice on board and last week I submitted the SAR form to the HMPO office in Peterborough. On this form I asked about the details of the naturalisation/registration certificate (whether they held a copy or had any details of it and how to obtain another). I also emailed the furthernationalityenquiries email address (still no reply as of yet).

At the moment, it doesn't look like i'll get in the documents by 90 days. I'll need to find out whether it is even worth sending my other documents without the naturalisation certificate, or just waiting until/if I do manage to get a hold of the certificate and reapplying.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Naynay...please do not open more than one thread on the same subject. I have merged your threads but normally duplicate threads are deleted. Thank you.
Oh right, no worrries. I thought opening a specific thread on naturalisation certificates may have been easier - Apologies!
Old Sep 4th 2018, 6:03 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

HMPO SARs shouldn’t take very long to process. A few weeks perhaps.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 6:09 am
Just Joined

HMPO SARs shouldn’t take very long to process. A few weeks perhaps.
Thanks i'll just have to be patient I guess. I sent it last Wednesday and I was advised it would take 6-10 business days to reach Peterborough from New Zealand. So factoring that onto the few weeks. I appreciate the responses you've given me so far, I would really be lost without the advice!
Old Sep 4th 2018, 6:11 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Naynay
Thanks i'll just have to be patient I guess. I sent it last Wednesday and I was advised it would take 6-10 business days to reach Peterborough from New Zealand. So factoring that onto the few weeks. I appreciate the responses you've given me so far, I would really be lost without the advice!
No problem. Come back once you’ve had a response.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Hi BirtInParis,

Just today I received a response from the Disclosure of Information team in Peterborough.

I can confirm that your national status was recorded as follows
BC 6(1) BNA 48
Section 6(1) of the British Nationality Act of 1948 relates to an individual who gains their British Citizenship by naturalization
Certificate number -
Reference number -
Dated 10/07/1969 at the Home office London

Please note we do not hold copies of any certificates, they are returned after the passport examination process has been completed.

So, i'm unsure how another certificate can be produced...but at least they've provided the certificate number, reference number and the date.

How can I proceed?

Thanks
Old Sep 19th 2018, 10:56 am

Hi BirtInParis,

Just today I received a response from the Disclosure of Information team in Peterborough.

I can confirm that your national status was recorded as follows
BC 6(1) BNA 48
Section 6(1) of the British Nationality Act of 1948 relates to an individual who gains their British Citizenship by naturalization
Certificate number -
Reference number -
Dated 10/07/1969 at the Home office London

Please note we do not hold copies of any certificates, they are returned after the passport examination process has been completed.

So, i'm unsure how another certificate can be produced...but at least they've provided the certificate number, reference number and the date.

How can I proceed?

Thanks
6(1) BNA 1948 actually refers to registration rather than naturalisation which is logical as your father was an Indian citizen. With the new information it might be worth sending another request to the National Archives to see if they can find it now.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 11:20 am
Just Joined

6(1) BNA 1948 actually refers to registration rather than naturalisation which is logical as your father was an Indian citizen. With the new information it might be worth sending another request to the National Archives to see if they can find it now.
Oh right!

Cool, I've sent the National Archives team a request with this info.

Also a reply back from furthernationalityenquiries (literally 10mins ago)

UKVI don’t hold any records prior to October 1986 (when electronic records were introduced). If the National Archives do not have a copy, HM Passport Office may be able to advise what the applicant can do. If they have previously seen the certificate and it is noted on their records they may be willing to accept that information in support of a future application but it would be for them to advise, contact details below:
Telephone: 0300 222 0000
Text Relay: 18001 0300 222 0000
Textphone: 0300 222 0222
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Weekends and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm

I'm unsure whether this helps or not, but could be worth pursuing whether the certificate number would be enough proof?
Old Sep 19th 2018, 11:24 am

Oh right!

Cool, I've sent the National Archives team a request with this info.

Also a reply back from furthernationalityenquiries (literally 10mins ago)

UKVI don’t hold any records prior to October 1986 (when electronic records were introduced). If the National Archives do not have a copy, HM Passport Office may be able to advise what the applicant can do. If they have previously seen the certificate and it is noted on their records they may be willing to accept that information in support of a future application but it would be for them to advise, contact details below:
Telephone: 0300 222 0000
Text Relay: 18001 0300 222 0000
Textphone: 0300 222 0222
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Weekends and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm

I'm unsure whether this helps or not, but could be worth pursuing whether the certificate number would be enough proof?
If the National Archives come up empty handed again then you’d probably need to file Form NS. But let’s wait and see what they say.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Talking Re: First Adult UK Passport - Applying from New Zealand

If the National Archives come up empty handed again then you’d probably need to file Form NS. But let’s wait and see what they say.
Hi BritInParis,

Some good news!

The National Archives have managed to locate the certificate (the names were listed around the other way, which is why they were unable to find it in the first place).

They provided a link with the certificate where I can request a certificated copy (27 pounds plus postage and shipping) which takes about 16 days to arrive.

I will request this copy, however it has been almost 60 days out of the 90 days deadline. For this reason i'm planning to send the Passport Office all other documents except for this certificate and my passport (I plan to travel in 8 weeks), and a letter outlining my circumstances and I believe the application can be put on hold. If it can be then i'll be able to send through this certificate, my passport and a reference to my application for it to all be processed.

I can't say this enough but wow I really appreciate your help in this matter, as I would've been well stuck without your advice.

For reference the National archives said the following in their email (I have blanked and left some sentences out) -

The full document reference you require is xxx This reference is for the Home Office duplicate copy of the registration of British nationality or naturalisation. You can read the xxxfor the background and arrangement of these records.
To order a copy please click on the document reference above to view it in Discovery, our catalogue, from where you will be able to place your copying request (you should xxx in Discovery before you request copies).
You will have the option of requesting a certified copy which you may require if you need the duplicate certificate for legal or official purposes. Please note, however, that a certified copy from The National Archives is not confirmation of the authenticity of the information shown on it. It is not evidence of identity and should not be used as evidence of the event.
If you have any enquiries about your order, please email the Record Copying Department (xxx) directly.
Alternatively, you may wish to visit The National Archives to view and copy the document yourself........
Old Sep 25th 2018, 9:21 pm

Hi BritInParis,

Some good news!

The National Archives have managed to locate the certificate (the names were listed around the other way, which is why they were unable to find it in the first place).

They provided a link with the certificate where I can request a certificated copy (27 pounds plus postage and shipping) which takes about 16 days to arrive.

I will request this copy, however it has been almost 60 days out of the 90 days deadline. For this reason i'm planning to send the Passport Office all other documents except for this certificate and my passport (I plan to travel in 8 weeks), and a letter outlining my circumstances and I believe the application can be put on hold. If it can be then i'll be able to send through this certificate, my passport and a reference to my application for it to all be processed.

I can't say this enough but wow I really appreciate your help in this matter, as I would've been well stuck without your advice.

For reference the National archives said the following in their email (I have blanked and left some sentences out) -

The full document reference you require is xxx This reference is for the Home Office duplicate copy of the registration of British nationality or naturalisation. You can read the xxxfor the background and arrangement of these records.
To order a copy please click on the document reference above to view it in Discovery, our catalogue, from where you will be able to place your copying request (you should xxx in Discovery before you request copies).
You will have the option of requesting a certified copy which you may require if you need the duplicate certificate for legal or official purposes. Please note, however, that a certified copy from The National Archives is not confirmation of the authenticity of the information shown on it. It is not evidence of identity and should not be used as evidence of the event.
If you have any enquiries about your order, please email the Record Copying Department (xxx) directly.
Alternatively, you may wish to visit The National Archives to view and copy the document yourself........
Glad to hear progress has been made. If you are worried about the timeframe then why not send it directly from the NA to HMPO?
Old Sep 25th 2018, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: First Adult UK Passport - Applying from New Zealand

Glad to hear progress has been made. If you are worried about the timeframe then why not send it directly from the NA to HMPO?
Definitely! Yes that option did come to mind as I was about to select delivery address, however I've opted it to be sent to my home address in New Zealand. I don't want to worry about the stress of not receiving my passport back in time when I plan to travel on 20th of November for a week or so.

If HMPO are unable to halt the application, i'll just fork out the money to submit it again in early December.

Thank you so much!
Old Sep 25th 2018, 9:50 pm

Definitely! Yes that option did come to mind as I was about to select delivery address, however I've opted it to be sent to my home address in New Zealand. I don't want to worry about the stress of not receiving my passport back in time when I plan to travel on 20th of November for a week or so.

If HMPO are unable to halt the application, i'll just fork out the money to submit it again in early December.

Thank you so much!
If you still have more than a month to go then there should be enough. Personally I would everything together or wait to reapply. Unless HMPO have specifically requested your original NZ passport then you shouldn’t be sending it.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: First Adult UK Passport - Applying from New Zealand

If you still have more than a month to go then there should be enough. Personally I would everything together or wait to reapply. Unless HMPO have specifically requested your original NZ passport then you shouldn’t be sending it.
Oh right, for timings, I submitted my application on 29 July, so I have until 27 Oct for the HMPO to recieve my docs (I believe it takes 6-10 business days from posting from NZ). The National Archives have said my order will be dispatched by 17 Oct, so I will not be expecting it to be received until mid to late October.

Here is what the HMPO customer service said in terms of deadline -
The application will also remain open until the 90th day however if documents are not received in this time frame then the application will automatically be withdrawn. If you want to send the documents you currently have to the office without the naturalisation certificate then this will be requested to begin with as the application could not be considered without it.
While the application is in examination there is no set time frame for extensions and it is at the discretion of the Examination Officer whether extensions are granted therefore we can not advise on this.

Oh yes thanks for mentioning re the passport, I don't know why I kept thinking I needed to send the original passport....What I do need to do is write a note re the mistake I made on 'Has the applicant been included on ANY passport before' and sign/date it, and then send through a full color copy of my passport.

Queries regarding the following -
Dual nationals - colour copy of any uncancelled British passport (N/A as I hold a NZ passport only)
From the below paragraph, I require my Fathers registration certificate and Parents marriage certificate, and i'm confused re the 'passport you entered the country from which you are applying' (I'm applying from New Zealand was born here, and if required is this the original or photocopy as it states at the top of the page 'send original versions or replacement documents, unless stated, we don't accept photocopies or laminated documents'
If the application born or adopted outside the UK: The passport you entered the country from which you are applying, and if different, any non-British passport held as well as the evidence below: If born on or after 1 Jan 1983. One of your parents full birth certificate(showing both the child's and parents' details) or naturalisation or registration certificate; and if this is your father, his marraige certificate to your mother (this does not apply for those born on or after 1 July 2006).

In summary I will send the following documents now;
Completed declaration form
Two recent identical photographs
My full birth certificate
Full color photocopy of my passport
Parents marriage certificate
Note re the order of my fathers registration certificate (perhaps even the email of confirmation of order) and that it will arrive at a later date

Following this, once the certified copy of my fathers registration arrives, I will send this along with a reference to my application).

Hopefully I haven't missed anything now haha!
Old Sep 25th 2018, 10:49 pm

That sounds good.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

That sounds good.

I've emailed, HMPO re the passport whether it is the original or full colour photocopy of it only.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.