Financial requirements for spouse visa

Old Aug 15th 2018, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Ks35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Financial requirements for spouse visa

Hi all,

I've tried to search for specific answers to this question but all cases are different

I'm recently married and from the USA my partner is British.

Going through the spouse visa application process we have hit a hurdle with regard to financial criteria and hoping someone has some advice here for us.

My partner has been self employed for 8 years as a personal trainer however changed the source of his income in April this year. He only earnt £9k for the last complete tax year 16-17.

Having injured himself and being unable to continue in that line of work his (hence the £9k earnings) he paid off his flat he is now living from the income from renting his flat and moved back in with his parents house (he can prove he earnt £12.5k in the last 5 months from rental with checkable bank statements.)

His parents have said that we can live with them rent free for as long as we want as they have more than enough room and their house is mortgage free also.

So my questions is;

As My partner is still self employed but with a different source of income is his previous tax return needed with the application or is current proof of self employment with the new trade, bank statements and deed for a paid off flat sufficient?

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 15th 2018, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financial requirements for spouse visa

In order to use rental income he need to have been renting for 12 months minimum, so that income cannot be used for the financial requirements.

Having paid off the flat is irrelevant.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Ks35 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl View Post
In order to use rental income he need to have been renting for 12 months minimum, so that income cannot be used for the financial requirements.

Having paid off the flat is irrelevant.
Thanks for your reply. So would he need to include the previous years tax return? Surely wouldn't have to wait a further 6 months to apply?
Old Aug 15th 2018, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ks35 View Post
Thanks for your reply. So would he need to include the previous years tax return? Surely wouldn't have to wait a further 6 months to apply?
He can't use the rental income until he has been renting for 12 months. The following is from Appendix FM-SE: Immigration rules.
  1. (ii) personal bank statements for or from the 12-month period prior to the date of application showing the income relied upon was paid into an account in the name of the person or of the person and their partner jointly.

If he only earned 9K in the last financial year from self employment that does not qualify either.