Financial requirements help!

Old Mar 4th 2014, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

Wagaress is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Financial requirements help!

So I did ask in another thread so I hope I'm not double posting too much here but I'm looking for more info or experience on this.

I'm currently on maternity leave in Canada until August and I'm not sure I would meet the requirement anyway so we are going the savings route of £62,500 which we do have (just about) tied up into our home. Can we use this as part of the 6 months because it's an asset that tied up in our names or do we have to sell, sit on it for 6 months and then try to apply?

If we do get the visa for my canadian husband, can he then work legally in the UK? He is eager to get going with work there right away and so am I as my maternity will be up by the time we are hoping to move but getting jobs in the UK prior is just not going to happen. We have a 2 year old and a 5 month old so being apart for 6 months will also not work for us.

Any help or insight and personal experience would be a massive help. I've been away from the UK for 7 years and I'm ready to get home to have my support system back and for my kids to have their nanny around
Old Mar 4th 2014, 7:54 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financial requirements help!

Originally Posted by Wagaress
So I did ask in another thread so I hope I'm not double posting too much here but I'm looking for more info or experience on this.

I'm currently on maternity leave in Canada until August and I'm not sure I would meet the requirement anyway so we are going the savings route of £62,500 which we do have (just about) tied up into our home. Can we use this as part of the 6 months because it's an asset that tied up in our names or do we have to sell, sit on it for 6 months and then try to apply?
You would have to sell and sit on the proceeds for six months in order to qualify under the savings route.

If we do get the visa for my canadian husband, can he then work legally in the UK? He is eager to get going with work there right away and so am I as my maternity will be up by the time we are hoping to move but getting jobs in the UK prior is just not going to happen. We have a 2 year old and a 5 month old so being apart for 6 months will also not work for us.
Once the visa is granted your husband can work in the UK the day you arrive.

Any help or insight and personal experience would be a massive help. I've been away from the UK for 7 years and I'm ready to get home to have my support system back and for my kids to have their nanny around
Old Mar 4th 2014, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You would have to sell and sit on the proceeds for six months in order to qualify under the savings route.
They changed this rule last year. As long as you had sold-up and paid all fees, taxes, secured loans etc. Then you don't need to sit on the money as cash for 6 months any more (as was also the case for other investments since the first set of changes made to the new rules)
Old Mar 4th 2014, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
They changed this rule last year. As long as you had sold-up and paid all fees, taxes, secured loans etc. Then you don't need to sit on the money as cash for 6 months any more (as was also the case for other investments since the first set of changes made to the new rules)
Thanks, that's what I thought. Unfortunately my realtor tells me the fees are higher than I thought they were so we may be shy of the savings needed. Looks like I may need to go to England in August without him and get a job and try that route. This makes my incredibly sad as he is such a good dad and will be hard for us as a family to be separated for this long.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
Really?
So if we sold our apartment and had the 62500 we wouldn't need to wait the six months?

But if we had 62500 Not from the sale of a property we have to sit on it for six months?
Old Mar 4th 2014, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice

Originally Posted by alfista1
Really?
So if we sold our apartment and had the 62500 we wouldn't need to wait the six months?

But if we had 62500 Not from the sale of a property we have to sit on it for six months?
You have to prove that you have owned the house for the six months before your applied.....so its the same in a way.....you still have to have the money for six months.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ncoomber
You have to prove that you have owned the house for the six months before your applied.....so its the same in a way.....you still have to have the money for six months.
After paying legal fees, realtor and bank fees for breaking the mortgage, we may be short. Can we too up the rest with our own savings from income?
Old Mar 4th 2014, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wagaress
After paying legal fees, realtor and bank fees for breaking the mortgage, we may be short. Can we too up the rest with our own savings from income?
As long as you have a total of 62500 in savings in a cash-like account at time of application AND can show that those savings have been under your control and owned by you (or your spouse, or both of you jointly) for the past 6 months (in any acceptable form: residential property, bonds, equities, mutual funds, certain pension schemes, etc.)
Old Mar 4th 2014, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ncoomber
If you have owned the property for a long time and sell it then you do not need to wait the six months in other words?

But if you have sold something else (car for example) you need to wait six months??

This is nonsense and makes no sense.
Is this really the immigration rules?
We've owned our property for the last 12 years. (not planning to sell it but we are planning to rent it out once we leave).
Old Mar 4th 2014, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

If you have owned the property for a long time and sell it then you do not need to wait the six months in other words?

But if you have sold something else (car for example) you need to wait six months??

We've owned our property for the last 12 years. (not planning to sell it but we are planning to rent it out once we leave).
It really is confusing. To be on the safe side, we are going to get our ducks in a row now, renovate a bit, sell the house then top up the rest in savings to get the magic number £62,500 then wait 6 months and apply. I'd rather do it right than rush it and be rejected. I'm scared sh*tless to be honest but hopefully a year from now I'll be going home
Old Mar 4th 2014, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice

It doesn't seem to be logical does it? I guess a house is considered an investment as oppose to a car. And investments can be liquidated to cash. So can a car I suppose. But I guess they are allowing investments to count. It perhaps shows more financial stability?
Old Mar 4th 2014, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

uk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud of

Wagaress, i too have 2 children also, one 6 year old and the other is 3 months. I am having to deal with this all by myself as my husband is reluctant to go and does not want to know any of it. My 6 year old is like a stroppy teenager already and does nothing my mouth at me or sulk! The 3 month old is very crabby and cries most of the day. And, to top it all off i have the mother in law from hell!!! And all i want and am trying to do is get us all home.
Some days i feel like throwing this all in, my whole day is almost consumed by the overwelming task of this process. But, then i talk to my mum and i get back on track with the end goal which is to step foot in my home country, england!
We will all get there eventually. (I hope)
Old Mar 4th 2014, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by uk_sweetie
Wagaress, i too have 2 children also, one 6 year old and the other is 3 months. I am having to deal with this all by myself as my husband is reluctant to go and does not want to know any of it. My 6 year old is like a stroppy teenager already and does nothing my mouth at me or sulk! The 3 month old is very crabby and cries most of the day. And, to top it all off i have the mother in law from hell!!! And all i want and am trying to do is get us all home.
Some days i feel like throwing this all in, my whole day is almost consumed by the overwelming task of this process. But, then i talk to my mum and i get back on track with the end goal which is to step foot in my home country, england!
We will all get there eventually. (I hope)
Aww bless your heart. That sounds like a nightmare. Thank goodness my husband is on board with this or I may lose the plot. It's probably going to take us a year but I think we will be home then.
What route are you guys going to take? Good luck!
Old Mar 5th 2014, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

uk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud of

It is a nightmare living here and so it makes me soooo determined to get back. We are going the savings route and then it will have to be the job route when we have to reapply in 2.5 years.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by uk_sweetie
It is a nightmare living here and so it makes me soooo determined to get back. We are going the savings route and then it will have to be the job route when we have to reapply in 2.5 years.
We are doing the same thing. When are you going to apply? I'm rooting for you I think we will hear tomorrow sometime how the appeal went for changing the financial requirement for this visa. Fingers crossed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.