Financial requirements from cash savings for spouse visa

Old May 1st 2019, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Confusedperson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Financial requirements from cash savings for spouse visa

Hi there
From my name you'll notice I am confused about something.
I am planning to use my cash savings to meet the financial requirement for the spouse visa. However I am in a bit of a pickle. I hold one account with one bank that has two savings accounts in it. So a total of three accounts.I have cash savings in my bank of £50000 in one savings account which have been there for 6 months. In the other account I had £16000 held for more than 6 months and have added another £4k to make £20000. In April for some reason(dont know what I was thinking) I decided to combine both saving accounts in one so a total of £70k is being held in one of the savings account.

My question is if i show my bank statements and use this to meet the financial requirements will it be accepted or refused due to the fact it hasnt been in one account for 6 months?
I am thinking of writing a cover letter explaining that I moved the money around.

I am soo confused and worried about this. I would be very grateful for any advice and opinions on this issue.

Thank you in advance.
Old May 1st 2019, 9:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financial requirements from cash savings for spouse visa

You shouldn't have a problem.

The requirement is to have held the funds for six months in your account(s), but the funds can be in one, two, or several accounts, and moving the money between accounts, either merging or splitting the accounts shouldn't, in theory create any issue so long as, the funds were moved seamlessly between accounts, and at no time did you withdraw or have access to the funds, and that your statements demonstrate that fact.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 1st 2019 at 10:07 pm.
Old May 1st 2019, 9:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Moving the money around between accounts makes providing the correct evidence more tricky but it doesn’t stop you from using it to meet the financial requirements providing you supply all the correct bank statements. Writing a covering letter explaining what you did would be very advisable as well.
Old May 2nd 2019, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You shouldn't have a problem.

The requirement is to have held the funds for six months in your account(s), but the funds can be in one, two, or several accounts, and moving the money between accounts, either merging or splitting the accounts shouldn't, in theory create any issue so long as, the funds were moved seamlessly between accounts, and at no time did you withdraw or have access to the funds, and that your statements demonstrate that fact.
Thank you for your reply.
The in theory is what I am worried about because I can show that i have held the sums for 6 months. But the fact that its not a full 6 months in one account is the reason I am most worried. Do you think the decision maker can refuse on the basis that it wasnt in that one savings account?

Thank you.
Old May 2nd 2019, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply.

What do you mean by more tricky?
I am most worried that they might refuse on the basis of it not being held in one account for 6months prior to the application. I can show the correct statements but it will show that the money had been moved in april and has been in that one account for one month.

Do you think they can argue that it wasnt in one account for 6 months?

Thank you.
Old May 2nd 2019, 3:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confusedperson
….. Do you think the decision maker can refuse on the basis that it wasnt in that one savings account? .....
Unequivocally, "no". Having money in two or more accounts, or moving it between accounts, is not a reason to reject an application.

They might ask questions, or even reject, if the records are ambiguous.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 2nd 2019 at 3:53 pm.
Old May 2nd 2019, 4:02 pm

…..I am most worried that they might refuse on the basis of it not being held in one account for 6months prior to the application. I can show the correct statements but it will show that the money had been moved in april and has been in that one account for one month.

Do you think they can argue that it wasnt in one account for 6 months? .
We have both answered this question already - me twice! Holding money in more than one account is not a reason to reject an application!
Old May 2nd 2019, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for replying.

My question isn't if holding money in two accounts is a reason to reject. I wanted to clarify if moving money one month before the application would mean its refused because the statements would show the money being in one account for one month and not 6.

I understand what you mean. Thanks again for the reply.
Old May 2nd 2019, 5:27 pm

….. I wanted to clarify if moving money one month before the application would mean its refused because the statements would show the money being in one account for one month and not 6. …...
I have answered that question too, in post#2.

Please, based on what you have posted You. Do. Not. Have. A. Problem. *

* Assuming that your bank statements show that the money was held in the accounts continuously and seamlessly.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 2nd 2019 at 5:30 pm.