Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Financial Requirements - British citizen moving back to UK with US Spouse

Financial Requirements - British citizen moving back to UK with US Spouse

Old Dec 10th 2014, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

pal567 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Financial Requirements - British citizen moving back to UK with US Spouse

Hello everyone -

My husband is a British citizen currently living in the US for almost 2 years. For the past year, he's been a student and not earning much income (ceraintly not enough to meet the UK requirement (something like $8-10,000 in USD). We want to return to the UK without being separated. I read the financial requirement and I'm not sure I would be able to get a visa without being separated from him. I'm also worried about him getting a job in the UK from the US or him getting one immediately in the UK that meets the minimum income requirement.

I am a lawyer making $200,000 in a year. We have $150,000 in savings. He has about $20,000 pounds in savings in the UK. Do we meet the financial requirements to move there together without being separated?

Also,if we had a child that would be a British citizen through him changes things?

Thank you!
Old Dec 10th 2014, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financial Requirements - British citizen moving back to UK with US Spouse

You would get more responses if you posted in the citizenship/visa section, but I can give you a quick answer. At £95,000+, which is what your $150,000 works out at, you are well above the savings requirement of £62,000+. It is only the British citizens income that counts if you go the income route. Your child will be British if s/he has a British parent. You should apply for a British passport for your child before you make the application.
Good luck!
Old Dec 10th 2014, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financial Requirements - British citizen moving back to UK with US Spouse

Having a British child won't make any difference to the financial requirements for the visa.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

pal567 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, Perth. I'll post there too.

We don't have children yet but would like to start. I wasn't sure how kids would affect us.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pal567
Thank you, Perth. I'll post there too.

We don't have children yet but would like to start. I wasn't sure how kids would affect us.
Well you might want to consider holding off then until you get to the UK as you would be eligible for the NHS. One more thing, your savings should be a joint account to prove that your husband has access to it. Also, it generally needs to be liquid for 6 months prior to application, except in the case of a home sale. Again, I am no expert, but there are a few in the other section.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to say welcome to the forum... and good luck to you with your spouse application! Cheers.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 4:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Duplicate thread opened here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/citiz.../#post11498334

Thread closed.