Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

In Filling out my (US) Wife's UK Visa (for Settlement) can I be her sponsor?

In Filling out my (US) Wife's UK Visa (for Settlement) can I be her sponsor?

Old Mar 29th 2015, 5:28 pm
Goooner!

Pipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to all
Default In Filling out my (US) Wife's UK Visa (for Settlement) can I be her sponsor?

Sound's like a strange question, but when you come to fill out this section on the online application is asks my wife to list her relationship to the Sponsor - and the only options are relationships by birth - i.e. there is no Husband on the list.

But surely I am the sponsor seeing as that my wife is coming with me and I have to prove I have either the job, or in my case the savings. I am guessing that those details have to be demonstrated on the Sponsorship form SU07/12

Same this when it comes to submit my step-daughter's application - although I guess I could select Father - or Other Relative.

Any guidance please.

Many thanks

Last edited by Pipmeister; Mar 29th 2015 at 5:39 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 5:29 pm
Goooner!

Pipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to all
Default Re: In Filling out my (US) Wife's UK Visa (for Settlement) can I be her sponsor?

Or are we filling out the wrong Visa application? Just looked at the sponsor form SU07/12 and it says the sponsor must be living in the UK and provide evidence of that. WTF?

Yes if you read the paper based application for the Visa APPENDIX 2 (VAF 4A DECEMBER 2013)
FINANCIAL REQUIREMENT FORM = it offers SPOUSE as an option for the Sponsor.?

Totally confused.

Last edited by Pipmeister; Mar 29th 2015 at 5:38 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 5:40 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In Filling out my (US) Wife's UK Visa (for Settlement) can I be her sponsor?

Originally Posted by Pipmeister
Sound's like a strange question, but when you come to fill out this section on the online application is asks my wife to list her relationship to the Sponsor - and the only options are relationships by birth - i.e. there is no Husband on the list.

But surely I am the sponsor seeing as that my wife is coming with me and I have to prove I have either the job, or in my case the savings. I am guessing that those details have to be demonstrated on the Sponsorship form SU07/12

Same this when it comes to submit my step-daughter's application - although I guess I could select Father - or Other Relative.

Any guidance please.

Many thanks
Have you read the WIKI article here..

Spouse Immigration-UK : British Expat Wiki

You are applying for the Spouse Visa and have to fulfil the earnings/savings requirements. Please be aware that, unless your step-daughter is a British citizen that will increase the financial requirements as you will be sponsoring both. You can't specify Father unless you have legally adopted her.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 6:21 pm
Goooner!

Thanks, Mike. Yes I have read the wiki and all of the UK Gov material. I understand the whole process very well ( I've also done it myself in reverse) and I understand all the financial requirements.

But the wiki doesn't answer the question that I posed. In fact it reads like the British Citizen is applying for their wife/child - when in fact it is the person(s) requiring the visas that apply.

But that is where the concept of a sponsor comes into play on the forms (this concept isn't mentioned or is not clear in the wiki).

So my question was - on some of the forms it states that the sponsor has to be living in the UK and demonstrate this by way of producing certified copies of documents proving they live there, like mortgage statements, bank accounts, utility bills etc.

But when YOU are the sponsor and living in the US with you wife but wanting to come home, you don't have most of these documents as you aren't living there (well in my case I do have a mortgage for my UK house).

So the way the forms for sponsorship are written is doesn't seen to bear any cognizance to the sponsor being part of the party coming back to the UK, as in the case of a husband or wife.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You do not need to complete Form SU07/12.

This is mainly for dependent adults from certain continents being sponsored and supported by relatives who are already living in the UK

It is not to be used for a spouse visa application.

On the online application you are completing is there not an option for OTHER when asked for relationship? There are some differences between the online and hard copy application forms

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Mar 29th 2015 at 6:44 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Dundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pipmeister
Sound's like a strange question, but when you come to fill out this section on the online application is asks my wife to list her relationship to the Sponsor - and the only options are relationships by birth - i.e. there is no Husband on the list. Pick OTHER and when you print out the form write in Husband

But surely I am the sponsor seeing as that my wife is coming with me and I have to prove I have either the job, or in my case the savings. I am guessing that those details have to be demonstrated on the Sponsorship form SU07/12 You DO NOT need this form you do need Appendix 2

Same this when it comes to submit my step-daughter's application - although I guess I could select Father - or Other Relative. You can only list father if you have adopted her, select Other Relative then when you print it write in Step-Daughter

Any guidance please.

Many thanks
hope this helps
Old Mar 30th 2015, 2:53 am
Goooner!

thanks
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:30 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

to add to the above as a suggestion if you've not already done so, you may wish to look at the printable forms which you could use as working copies to fill in, add, delete, change before going on-line application

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ent-form-vaf4a
Old Mar 30th 2015, 4:43 pm
Goooner!

Thanks - that is a good idea - and was what I was originally looking for. I find the online forms really badly designed - for instance, it's not very informative, and actually just superfluous when every Help box just replicates the same texts as in the question!

One final thought though - I'm pretty sure I read that children don't need to go to a biometric appointment (my step-daughter being 8) - is that the case - because even though you use select the "child of a parent" in the visa application the process pretty much takes you through all the same steps and questions (like asking if she has been involved in any terrorism related organization etc.) and it looks like the appointment section might still be triggered (although to be fair, I haven't pressed the Submit Application).

One of the FAQ is why does my child have to attend a biometric appointment - and their answer is, because you probably put in the wrong date of birth.

I'm sure I also ready that you only have about 10 days from the time your application/biometric information receipt is stamped to the time your application must be physically received (i.e. your supporting paperwork) in the UK. Trying to find this on the FAQ on this website.......?