Fiance Visa and Wedding

Old Feb 21st 2019, 10:27 am
Just Joined

Wayfarer3x is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fiance Visa and Wedding

Hi All,

I am a British Citizen looking to apply for a family of settled person visa (i.e. fiancé visa) in the near future for my fiancé who is a Canadian citizen to come to the UK. We’ve visited each other and travelled together several times, we were engaged last year and later in the year had a formal ‘wedding’ party in the UK - but not an official ‘marriage’ ceremony with registration.

This ‘wedding’ was done on a standard visitor visa, so although we didn’t get legally married (which is not allowed) we did have a ‘wedding’. When we come to apply for the fiancé visa is it a problem that we had a ‘wedding’ on her standard visitor visa? Or can we use the wedding event, receipts and expenses to support our application that we have a genuine and continuing relationship?

Thanks
Old Feb 21st 2019, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiance Visa and Wedding

I think I would be inclined to call the celebration you had an engagement party. I think using the word wedding may be a red flag, plus without licence and marriage certificate it wasn't actually a wedding.

My husband came to the UK on a marriage Visa (a long time ago now but I suspect they still look for same things). We had to have the wedding booked before they would issue the Visa, other than that they just wanted to see anything we could show them to prove relationship - letters (email, texts) phone records, travel to visit each other etc. I think a large family celebration of the engagement would be a positive here.

Good luck.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 11:59 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It’s not a wedding unless you actually get legally married. Agree it should be treated as an engagement party if you mention it at all.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
My husband came to the UK on a marriage Visa (a long time ago now but I suspect they still look for same things). We had to have the wedding booked before they would issue the Visa, other than that they just wanted to see anything we could show them to prove relationship - letters (email, texts) phone records, travel to visit each other etc. I think a large family celebration of the engagement would be a positive here.

Good luck.
Originally Posted by BritInParis
It’s not a wedding unless you actually get legally married. Agree it should be treated as an engagement party if you mention it at all.
Thanks HGerchikov and BritInParis,

I am happy to call it an engagement party/reception but on appearance (i.e. photos etc) both bride and groom were dressed as one would be on a wedding day (i.e. wedding dress etc) - just we didn't have an actual 'registration ceremony' so we're not yet legally married. Does that matter on a STANDARD visitor visa when we make the application that it looked like we had a wedding?

Also, as part of proving a 'subsiding and continuing relationship' it's generally advised to book a 'wedding venue' etc. Obviously we've done that already and will not be having another event. Will the 'engagement reception' we already had fulfil this need to show we are in a committed relationship?

Thanks

Last edited by Wayfarer3x; Feb 21st 2019 at 12:19 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 12:21 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I would just pop over to Canada or elope to a third country, have a simple registry office style ceremony and skip the fiancée visa stage. If you’ve already had your ‘wedding’ then there’s little point in going through the extra expense and hassle of obtaining a fiancée visa.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

I would just pop over to Canada or elope to a third country, have a simple registry office style ceremony and skip the fiancée visa stage. If you’ve already had your ‘wedding’ then there’s little point in going through the extra expense and hassle of obtaining a fiancée visa.
That's an interesting option I wasn't aware of. But while she is a Canadian citizen, I'm not (I am British) so will they allow me to register? I know in the UK she would need a Fiance Visa to do even a simple registry ceremony.

So even if this route is possible, would we then apply as a married couple under a Spouse Visa or something?
Old Feb 21st 2019, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Wayfarer3x
That's an interesting option I wasn't aware of. But while she is a Canadian citizen, I'm not (I am British) so will they allow me to register? I know in the UK she would need a Fiance Visa to do even a simple registry ceremony.

So even if this route is possible, would we then apply as a married couple under a Spouse Visa or something?
Yes, there’s no issue getting married in Canada as a visitor. Your wife would then just apply directly for a 33 month spouse visa from Canada.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Yes, there’s no issue getting married in Canada as a visitor. Your wife would then just apply directly for a 33 month spouse visa from Canada.
If we obtain the marriage certificate in Canada, do you know if she will be allowed to come to the UK on a visitor visa and apply for the spouse visa from here? Or will she have to apply for the spouse visa from outside for this?
Old Feb 21st 2019, 2:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If we obtain the marriage certificate in Canada, do you know if she will be allowed to come to the UK on a visitor visa and apply for the spouse visa from here? Or will she have to apply for the spouse visa from outside for this?
You cannot apply for a spouse visa from within the UK (unless your marriage took place in the UK and therefore your wife is transitioning from another non-visitor visa type).

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 21st 2019 at 3:02 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 2:54 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

She can't apply from within the UK on a visitor visa. If you married in the UK on a fiance visa, she could apply in the UK (after the marriage) to switch to a spouse visa, but the fiance visa's already been discussed.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 3:01 pm

What they said. She’ll need to apply from Canada.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks HGerchikov and BritInParis,

I am happy to call it an engagement party/reception but on appearance (i.e. photos etc) both bride and groom were dressed as one would be on a wedding day (i.e. wedding dress etc) - just we didn't have an actual 'registration ceremony' so we're not yet legally married. Does that matter on a STANDARD visitor visa when we make the application that it looked like we had a wedding?

Also, as part of proving a 'subsiding and continuing relationship' it's generally advised to book a 'wedding venue' etc. Obviously we've done that already and will not be having another event. Will the 'engagement reception' we already had fulfil this need to show we are in a committed relationship?

Thanks
There was no requirement for a reception venue, we didn't have one (no money!). But we did have to show that the registry office was booked, as that is the bit you are missing you could still do that. You need a couple of witnesses, that's all. I would definitely not show photos of you in wedding togs.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys,

In terms of proving income from self-employment, I am planning to submit 3x SA302's and Tax Returns (i.e. 3 years worth of income). Is there anything else needed, such as bank statements and if so how many months?
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Read from Section 7 on of the following document to see what documentation has to be provided:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigrat...ified-evidence

It's a whole lot of documentation , including bank statements.
Old Feb 24th 2019, 12:06 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Friends of mine (one Aussie, one British) eloped to Vegas. They said it waa a great way to get married and honeymoon all in one. No visa required for either of you - ESTA/VWP for you and she travels on her Canadian passport so no visa.