Fiance Visa >>> Spouse Visa - FLR(M)

Old Feb 7th 2019, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

thermocafe is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Fiance Visa >>> Spouse Visa - FLR(M)

Hello all!!! Just want to thank everyone on this forum for sharing their advice and experiences!!!

My husband is currently in the UK with me on his fiancé visa and we are in the process of applying for our initial FLR(M) to switch from fiancé to spouse visa. Like many others before, I am extremely worried about the requirement to provide 6 items of correspondence as my husband has only been in the UK for 2 months. I've been checking all the forums and every time I see a different answer. If we are unable to provide any items of correspondence.... will our application be refused? We will try our best to get my husband's name on at least one item (maybe a NHS registration letter) but it has been very difficult to acquire anything else at the moment due to his current visa and the time constraints. Will writing a cover letter to explain why we can't provide the 6 items of correspondence (husband here for 2 months) help in any way? Should I still provide my proof of correspondence as the sponsor?

In a similar way, is my husband expected to take IELTS A2 or can he use his same IELTS A1 result which granted him the fiancé visa? I've also been worried about this too as I've seen different answers on different forums. The wording on the gov.org website is confusing as usual... this is what it says:

Under Appendix FM, the English language requirement applies to:
  • • Paragraph E-ECP.4.1. – Entry clearance as a partner
  • • Paragraph E-LTRP.4.1. – Leave to remain as a partner
  • • Paragraph E-ECPT.4.1. – Entry clearance as a parent of a child in the UK
  • • Paragraph E-LTRPT.5.1. – Leave to remain as a parent of a child in the UK
Required level:
  • • all entry clearance or initial leave applications under these paragraphs: CEFR level A1, unless exempt
  • • all applications for leave to remain where previously exempt from A1 (or last granted leave as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner): CEFR level A1, unless exempt
  • • all applications for leave to remain where last granted leave with A1, which expires on or after 1 May 2017: CEFR level A2, unless exempt

I assume this section is what applies to my husband (leave to remain as a partner under Appendix FM?) and that "all applications for leave to remain where previously exempt from A1 (or last granted leave as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner): CEFR level A1" applies to him as he was last granted leave as a fiancé? This means the same IELTS A1 is fine?

Greatly appreciate any response
Old Feb 8th 2019, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

johannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiance Visa >>> Spouse Visa - FLR(M)

If you are switching from a fiance visa to FLR(M) they are not expecting to see 6 items of correspondence spanning 2.5 years because your spouse has obviously not been in the UK that long.
The FLR(M) application form is one size fits all for people applying in many different situations.
Apply using any correspondence evidence you may have, but it is not expected to be able to provide anything.
I think we applied with a letter from the NHS as we were able to register my fiance & as we were staying with my parents, they wrote a letter saying he could and had been living with them.
I (as the sponsor) included 2 letters as proof I was living at the same address.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 3:04 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

johannalouise is right on the correspondence issue; your husband can use his A1 IELTS as well.
Old Feb 9th 2019, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Edit: Sorry! I pressed send too soon.

Last edited by thermocafe; Feb 9th 2019 at 4:25 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2019, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for the responses!!!!

im just completing the online application form now and just wanted to clarify a few things:

1. It asks "what type of residence permit or visa do you have?"... shall I write fiancé visa or literally what it says on the vignette (something like marriage/CP)?

2. It asks what country you have lived in including your home country. We have put my husband's home country details because he lived here most of his life but do we also need to individually list when he was a short term student in another country (no his home country)? Does studying in another country count as living there even if it was for a few months?

3. When submitting the application, at what point can we choose to pay either standard or super priority? I did a test run of the online application and it doesn't let you choose...

4. Kinda worried as I've seen others say they can't book their appointments straight away... does the 28 day limit for financial requirement start from when we pay for the online application or from the appointment???

Thanks again for your responses!

Old Feb 10th 2019, 8:48 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

1. Fiancé is fine.

2. Probably better to include it assuming it wasn’t a terrorist hotspot.

3. I think that option becomes available when you book your appointment slot.

4. It’s when you submit your application online. You should be able to book an appointment within five days of submission.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
1. Fiancé is fine.

2. Probably better to include it assuming it wasn’t a terrorist hotspot.

3. I think that option becomes available when you book your appointment slot.

4. It’s when you submit your application online. You should be able to book an appointment within five days of submission.
Thank you once again for your response!!!! I feel a lot more relaxed with all your feedbacks.. this process is so draining and you start to become paranoid...

As I will be keeping my maiden name, would it be better to put my title and name as "Ms First Name + Maiden Name" or "Mrs First Name + Maiden Name"? Or does it really matter?

I've prepared all my scanned evidence to upload on to the online system, but just wondering which category the IELTS should be uploaded to. Would you recommend "Other" or "Education"?

Old Feb 11th 2019, 11:50 am

Not a problem!

‘Ms.’ Calling yourself ‘Mrs.’ if you’re keeping your maiden name is just confusing.

I’ve not yet seen the online application system myself but unless there’s a ‘English language’ option I would plump for ‘Education’.